Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Helicopter dodecahedron help... please? lol
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:03 am 

Hey guys! I need some expert advice, tips, and tricks. I bought a helicopter dodecahedron puzzle a few weeks ago. After disassembling and lubing it I thought I had a fairly solid grasp of the mechanism and how the pieces moved, I was wrong. lol

A nice jumbling scramble has led me to a very frustrating puzzle. I managed to unjumble and I can solve the corners intuitively up until the last layer. However, the wing pieces (not sure what exactly to call them, they're the 5 pieces wrapped around each center, not the edges) are giving me some trouble. A few searches on here have led me to a couple of last layer tutorials, but nothing else.

This is the only helicopter puzzle that I've ever owned or attempted to solve so I have no real points of reference.

Any chance there are some text and picture only tutorials out there? Or even just a list of algorithms and how they effect the puzzle. I can't stand watching video tutorials. My only access to YouTube is my phone and watching the tiny screen for so long is just exhausting. I really enjoy taking a list of algorithms or just a simple text tutorial and having to apply some time and thought into a solve.

Thanks in advance guys, I've attached a picture of the puzzle I'm referring to, just in case I'm using the wrong name.

Attachments:
13164729230.jpg
13164729230.jpg [ 44.03 KiB | Viewed 1285 times ]

Post subject: Re: Helicopter dodecahedron help... please? lol
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:48 pm 

I was rather new to helicopter style puzzles when I bought my helicopter dodecahedron as well. It's actually not that hard once you get used to it, but its a different type of puzzle for sure. It takes some getting used to. In the end, I had to resort to a youtube tutorial to sort out the last 2 corners. So, I feel your pain. This is really much easier to see than type, but I'll give it my best shot. There are two very similar and very powerful algorithms that I got from Superantoniovivaldi's tutorial on youtube. I take no credit for this method obviously, but I can tell you that it works well. He calls them the "jumble" and "double jumble" algorithms I believe.

For convenience I will reference the picture that you posted, and state that UF is blue-white, FL is yellow-white, UL is yellow-blue, FR is red-white, and that UR is red-blue.

The "Jumble": FL UR UF FL' UR' UF. It is important to note that the UF move is a full 180 degree flip, but any move with an L or an R in it is only a 1/3 turn approximately. Essentially we want the L and R pieces to be in there first possible jumbling position when we turn the UF piece. Doing it twice will undo it. I suggest you try it out on a solved portion to see exactly what it does. Just play with it.

The "Double Jumble": FL UR UF FL' UR' UL' FR' UL FR UF. Same rules as above with regards to how far we turn the L and R pieces. UF is still a full 180 degree turn.

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:15 am 

Well, after much mapping and confused algorithm attempts Igave up. Disassembled, relubed the puzzle and reassembled it solved. Now I can actually see the affect of those two algorithms on the puzzle.

I do have a couple more questions though. Are those two algorithms most useful only on a jumbled scramble? I plan to scramble just with 180° twists next time, is it going to be an easier, more intuitive, solve?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:13 am 

With just 180-degree turns, the puzzle is no more difficult than a Curvy Copter. Everything but the last layer can be solved intuitively. The last layer can be solved with simple modifications to Curvy Copter sequences.

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:14 pm 

I think if you don't jumble the puzzle indeed it would be the same like the regular curvy copter. Lovely puzzle as well by the way.

You could compare it with the 3x3's stance toward the megaminx, just the last layer needs some special attention.

I would start solving it like the curvy copter (so with the 180 turns) and when you can do that move on to the jumbling. I haven't dared that yet on the curvy, so.. kudos to you if you do that hehe.