Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Can cutting corners make your solving quality sloppy? (test)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:31 pm 

So I come here baring a question, as the title says. Through my time of solving, I have switched from puzzle to puzzle to determine my main speedcube. And I'm sure other speedcubers have as well. With all these new 2x2's to 4x4's that allow corner cutting, and reverse corner cutting, I decided to do a test with the attributes certain 3x3's have.

First I decided to look for some 3x3's I had in my collection that fit my thoughts. I am quite limited on what 3x3's are available to me so I made due with a Rubik's Studio Cube, Dayan Zhanchi, Dayan Panshi, and a 80's Rubik's cube my mother had when she was younger. So since I'm used to these 4, it seemed fair.

For the first test, I made a little spreadsheet (see attached file)

For the conclusion, I have noticed that the more room for cutting corners will make your times fast. However, I did notice that my execution became sloppier as a result when solving a cube that didn't allow as much corner cutting. Has anything like this happened to a speedcuber?

I would like anyone that has a better collection of 3x3's to help improve upon this analysis of mine. And if you have any questions of my approach, then ask, and I'll be glad to answer!

Attachments:
3x3 Cutting Corners.xls [7.5 KiB]
Downloaded 31 times