Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SQ-2 Star?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:30 pm 

Hi all,

I'm looking for a solve for a puzzle, but I'm not even sure of its name, so I haven't. Had any luck finding it out here on the forum.

I've seen it described as an SQ-2 Star on YouTube, but there isn't any solve info on it... Just a four puzzle layout from Mf8 (I believe), showing the star, leaf, cylinder, and triangle.

So, I'll describe this puzzle, and see if anyone can help me. It has 4 layers, 6 columns and six star-points on the top layer and bottom layer. Both the top and bottom layer have the same colors as a standard Rubik's cube, and the object is to make each column the same color, including the top and bottom. When complete, it will have one star point of each of the standard colors in a circular pattern (red, blue, white, green, yellow, orange), around a circle divided in half. This is the only place the puzzle can turn, and it only permits 180 degree turns, similar to a square-1. Both halves have stickered colors on them, one side will have orange, the other red on both sides of the sliced circle when completed properly.

This puzzle is a bear to twist, as the layers have to be lined up perfectly.
I would like to know.
1) if there is an official name for this puzzle
2) how this puzzle can be taken apart
3) if there is a published solution for this or any of the other puzzles which are basically the same puzzle with different shapes.

I want to take this puzzle apart because I feel something catching on each turn, and I'm hoping I can sand down whatever is keeping it from making a smooth 180 degree flip. I'd like to make it an easier puzzle to use, because I think I would play with it more if it was easier to turn. It is a nice puzzle, and I like the simple, clean layout.

Thanks for your help, and if any more info is needed, please let me know. I've been able to get 3 of the six columns solved, but that's it.

Post subject: Re: SQ-2 Star?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:51 pm 

I have tracked down the puzzle's official name: Super Square One 1 Star Flower Magic Cube Puzzle

And here http://www.3x3x3cube.com/super-square-one-1-star-flower-rubiks-cube-puzzle-white_p532ceccecceccec.html is a link to see one.

Hopefully, someone can point me into the right direction.

Thanks!

:scrambled:

Post subject: Re: SQ-2 Star?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:47 am 

I know SuperAntonioVivaldi has made a tutorial on the SSQ1. Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQVdOIWLM_s