Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ghost Cube Assembling or Solving
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:46 pm 

Ok folks,

I just received my ghost cube, and it is fantastic.

One problem.

Before I took a good look at it, I started turning it, and yes, it is scrambled. I played with it for over two hours, and couldn't get my head around it. So I decided to take it apart, put it back together, and start from scratch.

I can't seem to get the damn thing back together!

Can anyone give me any advice? I am trying to figure out what triangle piece goes where, since there are 4 that are similar.

Is there anywhere that each side of the cube is photographed, so I can get a look at each side? Amazing puzzle, so hard I can't even put it back together correctly!

EDIT by Moderator:
I thought that this and the following posts fit better to the Solving Puzzles sub forum.
So, I have split them from the original topic

Post subject: Re: Meffert's and Adam's Ghost Cube
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:51 pm 

The ghost cube is very difficult to assemble. I found that once I'd struggled through assembling it, I saw how to solve it as well. Maybe these pics might help you.
Attachment:
P1010002.JPG
P1010002.JPG [ 82.94 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]

Attachment:
P1010003.JPG
P1010003.JPG [ 79.33 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]

Attachment:
P1010004.JPG
P1010004.JPG [ 79.66 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]

Attachment:
P1010005.JPG
P1010005.JPG [ 79.8 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]

Attachment:
P1010006.JPG
P1010006.JPG [ 86.51 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]

Attachment:
P1010007.JPG
P1010007.JPG [ 85.33 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:51 pm 

try these out...

Attachment:
ghostfaces.jpg
ghostfaces.jpg [ 359.25 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]

Attachment:
moreghostfaces.jpg
moreghostfaces.jpg [ 528.27 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]

(click on them for larger images)

.ps
i did the same thing with a Master Ghost (4x4)...took me two days to figure out how it went back together.

:cc:

[EDIT:]

oooh!
rline, ya beat me to it within a fraction of a second!
:lol:

Last edited by crypticat on Fri May 02, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:55 pm 

crypticat wrote:
[EDIT:]

oooh!
rline, ya beat me to it within a fraction of a second!
:lol:

The more pics the merrier. :) I'd say with yours and mine he shouldn't have too much trouble.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:02 pm 

Good news.

I got the puzzle back to its original state.

What a cool puzzle. I really need to look at it to get my head around it. But putting it back together with all the pieces off the puzzle was no easy feat, so I imagine this will be a tough one to solve, especially without a second cube sitting here for reference.

Good grief, I can't even imagine the higher order cubes, the 4x4x4 to 7x7x7.

The pieces of this thing are so hard to pick out. And if the stickers aren't perfectly centered. Sometimes a couple of pieces that line up look like they don't.

I love this thing.

And for anyone wondering, the silver stickers are awesome. They have a brushed finish, and really look nice.

Last edited by rubikrelic on Sat May 03, 2014 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:07 pm 

I ended up with a kind of parity on mine where 2 triangles were swapped, they `look very similar`, so make sure you've got those around the right way if you're assembling it.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:55 am 

hello
I had same trouble with it. One method is to solve it layer by layer, because the centers don't line up together. So treat each layer separtely. Same solve on 4x4 and 5x5 ghost cube.
Try superantoniovivaldi's tutorial.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UBqfzmCcEeM

AMC

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:09 am 

Hi all,

Thanks for posting all the pictures and different angles of the ghost cube assembled!

I was lucky enough to solve it before I saw all the posts of pictures and suggestions, but I will definitely bookmark this page for future reference.

I have to admit I felt pretty stupid when I couldn't figure out how to put it back together when I could move any piece anywhere I wanted, but it truly is a difficult puzzle to see the solution.

What I finally did to help me was to use clear tape to hold pieces in place when I thought I found some pieces that fit together properly. I swapped out a few pieces that looked similar, including a couple of edge pieces and the triangles that I mentioned before. There are two triangles that are almost exacly the same, so you have to be very careful. I am pretty sure I got everything back as intended, and it is turning freely as it did when it arrived, but the pictures that have been posted will be a significant help if I ever take this thing apart again.

Thanks again, everyone!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:11 am 

Burgo wrote:
I ended up with a kind of parity on mine where 2 triangles were swapped, they `look very similar`, so make sure you've got those around the right way if you're assembling it.

I had this, but found that if they were swapped, they were very fractionally mis-aligned, height-wise from the surrounding pieces, so it is possible to tell, if you look very closely.

Latest videos: Unboxing Burgo's incredible Crazy 2 Face B4 kit, Calvins 2x4x6

Post subject: Re: Ghost Cube Assembling or Solving
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:18 am 

For those who have not disassembled it but are struggling to solve a scrambled puzzle, here is a net of it in a 3x3x3 setup position:

I associated certain patterns with the centres representing the letters F, R, L, D and B.
I hope this helps, too.
I used the original Ghost Cube, because white stickers on black are easier to photograph.
On the Meffert's version there are two signature stickers that label two pieces.
On my Meffert's Cube there is "Meffert's" on corner URB and "Adam" on edge UR.
That helps too :wink:

Here is a Golden Scramble

Here is a net of a partially solved (just U face and centres) Golden Ghost (same arrangement of faces as the white above):

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:39 am 

Two items, a bit of a detour for this thread.... However, since I'm here and all....

I have thought about this before, but the ghost cube has reminded me again, what a tremendous debt we cubing fans have to Erno Rubik amd his original 3x3x3 core mechanism. It is amazing to me how many puzzles have been created from modding the layout of pieces while maintaining the original core. So simple and elegant in design, it is truly one of the finest inventions I can think of that has literally received no alterations of substance and still provides so many different puzzles. I suspect you could take the core of the ghost cube and insert oieces of an old rubik's cube and they would fit, assuming the dimentions of the core line up.

I think that is amazing. To come up with the best possible solution for a 3x3x3 core on the first attempt is a grand accomplishment, IMO.

Second, can someone share with me what the Jade Club is? I know it is something on meffert's, but zi have read that you need an invitation to join. Is that true, and how do you receive an invitation?

I am sure this could be asked somewhere else, but i hoped someone who has been reading this thread would know the answer.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:45 am 

Konrad wrote:
rubikrelic wrote:
...By the way, what is the Jade club?
The Jade Club was founded in 2010 by Uwe Meffert.
Nowadays the main advantage is getting 10% off the Meffert's puzzle prices.
Sometimes, Jade members get special offers not available to others.
Membership works via invitation only.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:30 pm 

I guess that we do not want to discuss any solving methods in this thread.
(I just solve it layer by layer.)
I suppose we should exchange our experiences, though.

In my view this is the hardest shape-shifting 3x3x3 I'm aware of.

I got my first Ghost Cube in 2010 and I tried to memorize as much as I could before I dared to scramble it for the first time.
I guess it means a lot of "try and error" if somebody sends a Ghost scrambled to you. (Maybe, it feels quite ghostly, hence the name :wink: )
Think of the difficulties some had even to assemble it.
Geert told me that he assembled mine the evening before DCD 2008 and it was a big puzzle to do it.

Even after solving it many times I happened to swap two similar pieces today. An unexpected "parity" in the last layer made it obvious. (Those swapped pieces were the two trapezoids at UL and DF in my net picture above.)
The 4 triangular corners are not hard to distinguish, I think.
If you start with face U and place the wrong equilateral triangle at ULB, you should recognize this immediately, because one size fits only.

It is quite easy that you loose alignment during a sequence and then you can mess up, if pieces catch badly.
At least this happened to me quite often. :roll:
The Meffert's Ghost turns quite nicely, but you cannot expect corner cutting :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:40 pm 

This is truly a great puzzle. I just finished my first solve today, after giving it a couple of attempts. It really is about wrapping your head around what is happening and how to approach it. Just trying to match up my first piece by shape alone was a new and unique challenge. A very satisfying solve indeed.