Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Looking for challenging / non-"standard" solves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:13 pm 

Hi all. I'm in need of a good challenge. I'm bored and I've solved most of my collection. I have some puzzles on the way, but I don't expect them to be too difficult [mostly sticker mods]. I'm not too keen on solving simulator-only puzzles, either. I've been on a bandaged kick lately, but I'm growing tired of that. Of course, I always have Burgo's CrazyB4 kit. But right now I'm looking for something...different.

A few weeks ago, I heard mention of the parity-free 4x4x4 and 6x6x6 solves. I loved these [I love all Chimera-like solves]. This is the kind of experience I'm looking for: solving existing puzzles in my collection in new and interesting ways. I've already seen a recent thread on scrambling and solving large cubes in a unique way [link]. I've also seen Katten mention a centers-last solve for large cubes.

Can anyone recommend some more challenges? Weird reductions? Bizarre solve orders? Limited movesets? Slice-only solves? It doesn't have to be a cube. I am open to all suggestions [even bandaging, I suppose], though I can't guarantee I can complete them all! :lol:

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

Post subject: Re: Looking for challenging / non-"standard" solves
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:23 pm 

Ok one thing I've been working on is a bandaged gigaminx solve. It's been killing me. I mentioned a similar kind of solve in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=299400#p299400

Now instead of forming the last ten blocks (five corner blocks and five edge blocks) as described in the last post of that thread ( viewtopic.php?p=301946#p301946 ), I've been trying to form the last ten blocks with the rest of the puzzle bandaged into corner blocks and edge blocks, which prevent me from using the three-cycles moves mentioned in that last post. With U as a face containing all ten final blocks, the only moves available to me are U, U', u, u' and megaminx moves.

Have not been able to do it, except I was able to get three full corner blocks solved fairly easily. Try that as a non-standard solve!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:24 pm 

How about solving a 7x7 blindfolded with one foot? :lol:
Ok more seriously...how about solving a Megaminx corners first, and then solving edges? Seems like it would be very tedious.
EDIT: AHA! Try reducing a puzzle to a bandaged variant of that puzzle, and solving that bandaged variant. Good luck... :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:45 pm 

rplass wrote:
Ok one thing I've been working on is a bandaged gigaminx solve

I don't see that being any different than the AI Cube / parity-free 4x4x4 solve. The edges would reduce like in the Corner Block 5x5x5 / parity-free 6x6x6 solve / Chimera 2x2 + 6x6. I've done all these in addition to the Camouflage Cubes series and the Chimera Shift 5x5x5, so I've pretty well refined my techniques for building the all the 2x2x2 corner blocks. These are all "Chimera-like" solves that I mentioned in the first post.

benpuzzles wrote:
How about solving a Megaminx corners first, and then solving edges? Seems like it would be very tedious.

It would just be endless EPS. Good lord. Thanks but no thanks!

benpuzzles wrote:
EDIT: AHA! Try reducing a puzzle to a bandaged variant of that puzzle, and solving that bandaged variant. Good luck... :twisted:

Reduction to Bicube, anyone? :lol: :lol: Imagine the frustration of getting a "two swapped bars" reduction parity at the end. What a nightmare! I love it! :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:13 am 

benpuzzles wrote:
Imagine the frustration of getting a "two swapped bars" reduction parity at the end. What a nightmare!
Actually Seth, interestingly that is what can literally happen with the Nightmare Cube, I've had that exact situation!

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:17 am 

http://oliverstickers.com/normal-sticke ... aged-cubes
http://oliverstickers.com/normal-sticke ... ecahedrons

please try: Spiral Cube 3*3, BiNCube 5*5, Chimera Assimitric 5*5, Minotaur Cube 5*5, BrilMinx...

good luck :)

Attachments:
File comment: all my pazzles there
UltimateMagicCube-Simulate.zip [705.15 KiB]
Downloaded 2 times

Last edited by grigr on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:19 am 

themathkid wrote:
I don't see that being any different than the AI Cube / parity-free 4x4x4 solve. The edges would reduce like in the Corner Block 5x5x5 / parity-free 6x6x6 solve / Chimera 2x2 + 6x6. I've done all these in addition to the Camouflage Cubes series and the Chimera Shift 5x5x5, so I've pretty well refined my techniques for building the all the 2x2x2 corner blocks. These are all "Chimera-like" solves that I mentioned in the first post.

OK it's different because there are edge blocks to solve, not just corner blocks. Also some techniques you use for the parity free 4x4x4 solve might not work on the gigaminx. If you typically perform a swap of two corners with each other, how would that be done on a gigaminx? That kind of thing.

Try doing it. I'm having trouble with it so any insights would be helpful.

OK another kind of unusual solve is the Cage Method for big cubes. Solve the edges and corners first, then solve the centers last. It's a 2 out of 10 for difficulty but it's interesting to find ways to efficiently swap the center pieces with each other using various commutators, 3-cycles, set-up moves, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:52 pm 

How about trying a bump cube or Braille cube with your eyes closed? It would certainly be a different type of challenge.

-d

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:56 pm 

darryl wrote:
How about trying a bump cube or Braille cube with your eyes closed? It would certainly be a different type of challenge.

-d

I've done this with a Bump cube several times, and after practice it isn't that hard, but just time consuming.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:44 pm 

grigr wrote:
http://oliverstickers.com/normal-stickers/nxnxn/bandaged-cubes
http://oliverstickers.com/normal-sticke ... ecahedrons

Oh wow! I actually just bought a Pyraminx Crystal and 5x5x5 to make the Brilminx and Chimera Shift. Now I don't have to make my own stickers. Awesome! Thanks, Grigr!

rplass wrote:
OK it's different because there are edge blocks to solve, not just corner blocks. Also some techniques you use for the parity free 4x4x4 solve might not work on the gigaminx. If you typically perform a swap of two corners with each other, how would that be done on a gigaminx? That kind of thing.

Try doing it. I'm having trouble with it so any insights would be helpful.

I played around with this briefly today. It's exactly the same as a Corner Block 5x5x5 solve. Reducing the Gigaminx edges to Megaminx edges is exactly the same as reducing the 5x5x5 edges to 3x3x3 edges. Each consists of one outer edge with two adjacent "center edges." Similarly, the corners are all 7-piece blocks consisting of 1 corner, 3 edges, and three "center corners." The only issue I can see is having to swap the "top" 2x2x1 sections of corner block, which is essential to finishing the AI Cube. It should be similar, but I'm just having trouble visualizing how to execute it. Not much of a problem, I'm sure.

To swap two corners, try U'R'U L U'RU RL' FR'F' [all are double-layer turns]. This will swap the two corners on the UL edge [without affecting orientation], but disturbs things on the R face [which we don't care about during the block-building phase anyways]. This and corner orienting techniques should be sufficient to translate all the AI Cube / parity-free 4x4x4 techniques to the Gigaminx.

The edges can be handled after all corner blocks are built. You will need to find sequences that permute edges without disturbing corners. Off the top of my head, this seems a bit more complicated than with a cube, but not much more. For example, U' [F'UFU']x2 U moves one edge off the L face without disturbing the L face corners [it actually cycles UL-RF-UF]. Corner orientations are disturbed, though, so you would need to fix that afterwards with something like [U'RUR']x2 L [U'RUR']x2 L' [again, these are all double-layer turns]. Using these, the idea would be as follows:

1. Use a single-layer turn to create an [edge + center-edge] pair at the UL edge.
    2. Use the sequences listed above to cycle UL off the L face and bring in UF
    3. Undo the single-layer turn to restore the corner blocks and some of the L-face edges

Since the corner blocks are fixed after each iteration, we really have a lot of freedom here. We can disturb the corners all we want. All that matters are the edges. By smartly placing bad edges at UL and UF, you can create 2 pairs at a time to quickly reduce the edges. Once all edges are reduced, solve as a Megaminx using only double-layer turns.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:46 pm 

Good Luck :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:52 am 

Burgo wrote:
themathkid wrote:
Imagine the frustration of getting a "two swapped bars" reduction parity at the end. What a nightmare!
Actually Seth, interestingly that is what can literally happen with the Nightmare Cube, I've had that exact situation!

How can this be possible??? Hmmm. Now I must try this! I've noticed someone posted free STL files for a Nightmare Cube. In my recent thread, I mentioned that I have access to free 3D printing at the moment. I think this just moved to the top of my priorities list...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:56 pm 

Hi I tried the edge forming method you described. I ought to have mentioned that all the corner and edge blocks are bandaged except for U and u. The 3cycle of edges you mentioned worked, but brings the RF edge into the U face; but the RF edge is bandaged, so one cannot make a single slice turn through it.

I tried a 3cycle of edge blocks in U that goes UR to UF to UL and I can orient any edge block in U so Ill keep trying. It seems that one has to set up 5 center edges at a time, then u , then flip over each edge to put the single edge/center edge pair on U, and line up the next 5 center edges at a time.