Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tuttminx Last Layer Strategies
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:14 am 

I think the Tuttminx is a fun puzzle that offers plenty of variety during the solve. I've been working on algorithms and strategies and I can solve it reasonably well, though it currently takes a bit longer than I'd like!

I am interested in the last layer strategies of my fellow Tuttminx enthusiasts. In particular, how do you flip the last hexagon edges (or keep them from being flipped)? What face are you using as the topmost (hexagon or pentagon)?

I am using a pentagon for the topmost face because it simplifies the last layer to five hexagons. At first, I tried to approach the last layer like a gigaminx by solving all the surrounding hexagons except one. This was horrendous as I had to repeatedly break completed faces to flip hexagon edges. My current strategy works but still seems inefficient: I place all of the hexagon edges, which takes some wrangling as many of them reach the last layer flipped. Next, I insert the lower pentagon edges. Finally, I insert the corners below the upper pentagon (sixteen of them) using an algorithm that cycles corners from one pentagon to another. This all works, but it is a lot of turning compared to the edge assembly and insertion method that I use in the lower layers. I have enough algorithms that the final pentagon edges and corners are no more difficult than a megaminx. :mrgreen:

Attachment:
Tuttminx-last-layer-800w.png
Tuttminx-last-layer-800w.png [ 599.2 KiB | Viewed 1395 times ]

Post subject: Re: Tuttminx Last Layer Strategies
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:19 pm 

I place the "flippable" edges, then solve the last (pentagonal) side using some "turn piece out - turn face - turn piece in" algorithms and finally flip the unsolved edges by getting always two on one side and then flip them like megaminx edges.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:00 pm 

EMI94100 wrote:
I place the "flippable" edges, then solve the last (pentagonal) side using some "turn piece out - turn face - turn piece in" algorithms and finally flip the unsolved edges by getting always two on one side and then flip them like megaminx edges.
I use the last pentagon to add the pentagon edges to the LL hexagons after I get their hexagon edges in place. I also use it to feed corners to the hexagons. As a result, it is the very last face that I solve. I'm impressed that you can use megaminx algorithms, because the only ones I got to work were some pentagon edge cycles. Everything else I worked out came from my DaYan Gem III notes. I did finally manage to work out a pure algorithm that flips two sides on a hexagon (including edges and corners) with no other effects. It will help as I continue to try strategies of finishing a couple of LL hexagon faces using conventional methods. I am hopeful, but so far, I haven't found any success with that idea. I keep going back to placing the last layer edges first and then cycling in the corners. I found that with some planning and setup moves, it can be efficient when two or three corners are correctly placed in one cycle. It's not as horrible as I first thought.

I wonder if there is any interest in a Tuttminx last layer tutorial video? Perhaps everyone already has their Tuttminx solved ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:39 am 

I've been using the hexagon side for the last layer. I tried to get some hints from this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jxtvk07iPI) the first time I solved the Tuttminx. I'm not sure how I'm getting things lined up correctly when trying to get all similar colors on the top-side, as well as the corner pieces in the appropriate places for the last layer. But by making various guesses and turns I end up achieving it. The last move seems somewhat similar to the last move on the Megaminx though. This puzzle is extremely fun to solve, but takes me almost an hour!