Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Generalized Pyraminx solving
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:05 am 

Blame Timur for inspiring this question. :lol:

Big cubes can be generalized into 2 groups based on their geometry: the "even" group and the "odd" group. Of course, the "even" group tends to be a little more complex.

What about Pyraminxes? If you make them larger and larger, how do you generalize them?

My instinct was to divide them into three types: the "3n" group, the "3n+1" group, and the "3n+2" group. Why? Because the 3n group has no centers, the 3n+1 group has upward-pointing centers, and the 3n+2 group has downward-pointing centers. But because I do not own and have never solved any Pyraminxes except for the regular 3-layer one, I can't figure this out easily.

Has anyone explored this sort of thing?

Post subject: Re: Generalized Pyraminx solving
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:15 pm 

Nobody? :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:23 pm 

Nope. You lost me at "the odd group". All puzzles are odd to me! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:36 pm 

I think that the method you proposed sounds like a good one. Makes sense to me, at least.

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:57 pm 

Jared wrote:
Blame Timur for inspiring this question. :lol:

Big cubes can be generalized into 2 groups based on their geometry: the "even" group and the "odd" group. Of course, the "even" group tends to be a little more complex.

What about Pyraminxes? If you make them larger and larger, how do you generalize them?

My instinct was to divide them into three types: the "3n" group, the "3n+1" group, and the "3n+2" group. Why? Because the 3n group has no centers, the 3n+1 group has upward-pointing centers, and the 3n+2 group has downward-pointing centers. But because I do not own and have never solved any Pyraminxes except for the regular 3-layer one, I can't figure this out easily.

Has anyone explored this sort of thing?

Hi Jared, I have a bit. For big cubes all of the centers are just about the same except that on odd cubes the core is exposed so you have that unique center that the even cubes don't have. Then, all of the edge wings are the same too and odd cubes have the middle edges.

Big tetrahedrons have a bit more variety in the center piece types and some more variety in the edge wing piece types too. I don't have time right now to explain it but I will follow up this weekend when I do.

Last edited by Brandon Enright on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:32 pm 

Might as well bump this... it'd be nice to also see if we could get some generalized FTO stuff too, just in case anyone designs a Professor FTO or higher. :lol: