Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Starminx (Face Turning) Edge Flipping
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:33 pm 

Can you please help me flip these edges on my Starminx (Face Turning)? I've been enjoying trying to solve my Starminx, though I truly lack the prerequisites such as experience with the Pyraminx Crystal (I should get one this week). I've managed to get to this point several times. I have all the edges in place, but three are flipped. In previous cases I had just 2 flipped edges. It is *possible* that I had ONE edge pop out and put it in wrong. I am almost certain that I corrected that issue yesterday. In any case, I am woefully lacking in edge flipping algs. I have exactly *one* algorithm to flip two edges on one face. It works on the Gelatinbrain app, but I have not been able to make it work on the puzzle. In fact, the two times I applied it, the result was an unrecoverable mess. I'm getting really expert at inserting the first two-dozen edges and found many useful edge commutators :mrgreen: . I would sincerely appreciate your help.

The circled edges are in place, but flipped.
Attachment:
Solve-2-Edges-Flip-2-400w.png
Solve-2-Edges-Flip-2-400w.png [ 63.74 KiB | Viewed 1132 times ]

Post subject: Re: Starminx (Face Turning) Edge Flipping
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:22 am 

Pete the Geek wrote:
... I have all the edges in place, but three are flipped. In previous cases I had just 2 flipped edges. It is *possible* that I had ONE edge pop out and put it in wrong. ....
You have probably looked at this thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22792?
If I recollect it correctly, the thread assumed that you can solve the edges of a Pyraminx Crystal.

Three edges cannot be flipped, if all others are correct.
So you have probably put back one edge incorrectly.

Please, have a look at a Pyraminx Crystal solution and find move sequences which flip two edges.
Jaap's puzzle page may be a good choice http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/pyracrys.htm
(But I have not looked at it myself.)

Bmenrigh has made a very good sequence of videos about solving the Starminx.
Part 1 is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOiUDa_ ... jmT5NGQ%3D

EDIT: Here is a pretty short move sequence to flip two edges on a Pyraminx Crystal:
F' [UL'2 B2 UL'2] F [UL2 B'2 UL2] ( a [1,3] commutator]
In commutator notation: [F', UL'2 B2 UL'2]
It is on Brandon's (bmenrigh's) video.
Try it on Gelatinbrain: A',I'2,L2,I'2,A,I2,L'2,I2,
If you are not familiar with the TP notation for dodecahedra, please, have a look here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22683&p=272521#p272521

Here is a link to Brandon's sequence utility. You can translate Gelatinbrain sequences to the TP notation:
http://www.brandonenright.net/cgi-bin/gb_util.pl

Post subject: Re: Starminx (Face Turning) Edge Flipping
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:42 pm 

Konrad, thank you so much for your help. Even though I watched Brandon's videos, I didn't fully understand just how close the Starminx and Pyraminx Crystal edges are until I read Jaap's page. I will experiment on Gelatinbrain until I am certain I can flip those edges without issue. The odd number of flipped edges is a bit of a mystery, but most likely I absentmindedly and incorrectly fixed another pop. My first task is to tighten the Starminx just a bit, as it doesn't pop when it is tighter.