Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Touch-solving cubes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:47 pm 

One of my tiled 3x3x3's had two tiles fall off due to weak gluing. One tile had fallen off a long time ago, but the second one fell off recently. The first tile has unfortunately been lost, so today while gluing the second tile back on, I looked at my stack of used teraminx sticker sheets and decided that I could make use of the unused areas to cut out replacement stickers for my 3x3x3.

And so I did. And now, I can tell when my finger lands on the replaced tile because it's a flat sticker instead of a protruding tile. This gave me an idea: what if 6 different textures were used, one for each color, so that you know what colors a cubie has just by feeling it? This means that now you can actually solve it blindfolded without ever having seen the cube before!! :twisted:

I don't know how practical this is (there's a limit to what kind of textures can be differentiated by your fingertips when limited to the small area of a cubie's square face), but if it's feasible, it would be the beginning of touch-solving! :)

What do y'all think of this idea?

Post subject: Re: Touch-solving cubes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:09 pm 

Search the twistypuzzles museum for "blind" and you will see several implementations of this. you can also solve a bump cube blindfolded. It's fun, but it's certainly not legal in competition.

4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:26 pm 

According to the WCA Regulations: "3j) Puzzles must be clean and must not have any markings, elevated pieces, damages, or other differences that distinguish one piece from a similar piece." A cube in this condition may not be used in a competition.

Practicality of usage anyway:
Something like this would take a lot of training to really get to abuse for speedsolving, and there are many puzzles such as the Bump Cube/Mirror Blocks that offer the same type of blind solving, and the part shapes instead of textures make this example much nicer. Sticking with the textures, the Blind Man's Cube does a job I doubt can be matched by simply using different textures.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:33 pm 

quickfur wrote:
One of my tiled 3x3x3's had two tiles fall off due to weak gluing. One tile had fallen off a long time ago, but the second one fell off recently. The first tile has unfortunately been lost, so today while gluing the second tile back on, I looked at my stack of used teraminx sticker sheets and decided that I could make use of the unused areas to cut out replacement stickers for my 3x3x3.

And so I did. And now, I can tell when my finger lands on the replaced tile because it's a flat sticker instead of a protruding tile. This gave me an idea: what if 6 different textures were used, one for each color, so that you know what colors a cubie has just by feeling it? This means that now you can actually solve it blindfolded without ever having seen the cube before!! :twisted:

I don't know how practical this is (there's a limit to what kind of textures can be differentiated by your fingertips when limited to the small area of a cubie's square face), but if it's feasible, it would be the beginning of touch-solving! :)

What do y'all think of this idea?

You're about 30 years late with that idea. I got a similar cube in the early 80s.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:34 am 

Tony Fisher wrote:
You're about 30 years late with that idea. I got a similar cube in the early 80s.

Same goes for me. I still have that one:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:49 am 

Another blind version of a 3x3x3 has recently been made in China as well.