Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solving Latch Cube?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm 

I have a collection of about 50 puzzles, and the only puzzle I have almost no idea of how to solve would be my latch cube. Who would have though such a small addition added such a challenge. Can someone give me a clear solution or direction in which to go? I'm lost and I can't stand having a mixed up cube on my shelf, I'm sure many of you understand :| .
Thanks,
Zackz115

Post subject: Re: Solving Latch Cube?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:02 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
zackz115 wrote:
I have a collection of about 50 puzzles, and the only puzzle I have almost no idea of how to solve would be my latch cube. Who would have though such a small addition added such a challenge. Can someone give me a clear solution or direction in which to go? I'm lost and I can't stand having a mixed up cube on my shelf, I'm sure many of you understand :| .
Thanks,
Zackz115

Um... isn't it possible to use 3x3x3 algorithms, where you turn it 3/4s of a clockwise turn instead of 1/4 counterclockwise?

Or am I missing something here?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:21 pm 

GoombaGeek wrote:
Um... isn't it possible to use 3x3x3 algorithms, where you turn it 3/4s of a clockwise turn instead of 1/4 counterclockwise?

Or am I missing something here?

You are indeed missing something :wink: The arrows stay with the edge piece and as the puzzle gets mixed the edge pieces move around. Whenever a face has two conflicting arrows on it, that face is unable to spin at all - making it VERY different from a Rubik's Cube. Nearly every algorithm is broken. Nearly...

zackz115 wrote:
Can someone give me a clear solution or direction in which to go?

I don't know how much you are looking for here, but for starters, make your first goal getting the puzzle in the correct "shape". By that I mean, try to get the arrows in all of the right spots (both CW and CCW arrows!), ignoring the colors underneath the arrows. Don't worry about center or corner placement at all. That's how I started.

Peace,
Matt Galla

P. S. If solving the arrows directly into the correct position is too hard, try solving them into a different position that you can then get to the correct position. For example, 4 CW arrows on a face and 4 CCW arrows on the opposite face, with the remaining 4 arrows in certain places in the middle layer is only a slice turn away from the correct position and is much eaiser to work with :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:22 pm 

Or, if you are really desperate to just get it solved and looking nice with your other puzzles, grab a credit card or something and simply force back the latch on each piece conflicting with the move you want to make :lol:

My Youtube and Shapeways

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:13 am 

Mindstormscreator wrote:
Or, if you are really desperate to just get it solved and looking nice with your other puzzles, grab a credit card or something and simply force back the latch on each piece conflicting with the move you want to make :lol:

NEVER!!!!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:42 am 

zackz115 wrote:
Mindstormscreator wrote:

NEVER!!!!!!! :lol:

100% attitude. I like that.
That's what everything is about. Don't you give up. :lol:
I can't contribute to this topic in any other way. :lol: However I am waiting for my latch cube to arrive. I'll soon see how much of my 3x3x3 knowledge I can use but from what I read it is infact a difficult puzzle.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:52 pm 

My advice is basically just like that of Allagem's. First, try to solve all of the arrows by getting them in the proper location. I tend to go ahead and solve them color and location first, but it's entirely up to you.

Then, just experiment and try to find algorithms that will work. Though still a challenge, starting from here is much easier than trying to find algorithms for a randomly scrambled latch cube.

Good luck!

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:29 pm 

Here is a solution (not mine):

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52148673/How- ... Latch-Cube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:30 pm 

Aargh, now you've made me want one!!!
There goes another 30 bucks :lol:
Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:54 pm 

Burgo wrote:
Aargh, now you've made me want one!!!
There goes another 30 bucks :lol:
Cheers,
Burgo.

What about simulating it with stickers?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:39 pm 

I find this cube to be quite a pain but is a good challenge nevertheless. The key is to get all of the edge pieces solved first. Black arrows first then the white ones. Then after that the corners are not so bad. I will also say that it is extremely helpful to have another latch cube next to you when solving this. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:53 am 

I figured out how to solve mine before hitting the tutorials, but hey, I would be a hipocrite to not give you a link, as I learned to solve a rubiks cube online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHVgIu_vw8

Happy cubing!

2x2(Horrible quality keychain cube):00:29.46
3x3(Eastsheen cube w/cubesmith tiles) 00:57.42
4x4 Don't have the algs memorized yet