Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solving Side by Side
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:06 am 

This might be fun to think about...

The standard generalisation of the Rubik's Cube is that one solves it side by side. Us cubers, however, educated in the world of cubing know that a cube is mostly solved using some form of layer by layer method.

Yet still the standard quote for a person who can't solve the cube is "I got one side, now what??"

If anyone here knows of an actual side-by-side method then please let me know, or better still, if anyone could come up with one that would be amazing!

Happy Cubing,

HHP

Post subject: Re: Solving Side by Side
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:15 am 

Hi Professor,

Have a quick look at my 2x2 method on my You Tube, it extrapolates to a 3x3 method. And the Domino 3x3 method `is similar`. You can definately start with a face, not a layer, and it's not necessarily `really inefficient` :wink: . I work with kids a lot, and if they can solve a `face`, you can bang that into a `layer` for them pretty quick with a few domino algos. In fact just orientate the other layer and you have a `domino like` cube (before or after you make the `layer`). You can do the centre belt last with a few `corners first` algos. I love mixing up a solve with various methods.

Actually, I don't tell people not to make a `face`, becuase I think it builds skills and encourages thinking to do that. The way I start with `total` beginners is to say: "See how many pieces you can get on a `face`, a good amount would be 7". That takes away the intimidation factor (of even a whole `face`), and non-cubers can compete to see if they can get more than each other.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)