Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Video tutorial on how to solve the Starminx I (Updated)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:39 am 

I have been talking to some folks about how to solve various puzzles and invariable the Starminx always comes up as a good looking puzzle that is somewhat hard to solve. I have been wanting to make a "how to solve xyz" video series for a while now so I thought the Starminx would be a great place to start.

The tutorial is divided into 4 parts.

The introduction covers what the Starminx is and compares it to other familiar puzzles like the Megaminx and Pyraminx Crystal.

The second video covers how to solve the edges and also teaches the basic principles behind how to construct commutator sequences.

The third video expands on the commutator principle covered in the edges tutorial and shows how to solve the Starminx centers.

Finally, the fourth video further expands on the commutator principle and demonstrates how to solve the Starminx points.

Using these four videos you will be able to solve the Starminx. Using the commutator principle you will be able to take the ideas in this video series and apply them to many other puzzles. For example, the centers on a Starminx are the same as the centers on a Pentultimate so if you are trying to solve that you can use the sequences provided in video 2.

At some point I will expand on these 4 videos and show how to solve the icosahedral shape mod of the Starminx and the related puzzle the Astrominx by Eric Vergo.

I sure hope this tutorial useful and informative!

Brandon

Update:
Tonight I made another tutorial to build off of this one on how to solve Gelatinbrain's 1.1.4 puzzle which is the hybrid between the Pyraminx Crystal and the Starminx. I also made a video on how to solve Eric Vergo's Astrominx which is Gelatinbrain's 2.2.3 puzzle. The Astrominx is the icosahedral dual of 1.1.4 but different pieces need to be oriented which makes it somewhat different to solve.

Last edited by Brandon Enright on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Video tutorial on how to solve the Starminx I (face turn
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:42 am 

Really nice videos! Thank you so much!

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:29 am 

Hi Brandon,
Nice videos, really explains well how to use commutators, and the numbering system. It does remind me of why I like physical puzzles too. I'm going to have to start with the gelatinbrain though (one day).. too many interesting puzzles! And, by the way, thanks for that, now I want a Starminx-1 `even more`!!
Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:47 pm 

I like the videos very much. I view it not as a guide to only the Starminx, but as an introduction on how to use commutators to solve complicated puzzles illustrated by an example.

btw, can Starminx be solved into its mirror state like the Dino Cube?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:01 pm 

schuma wrote:
I like the videos very much. I view it not as a guide to only the Starminx, but as an introduction on how to use commutators to solve complicated puzzles illustrated by an example.

Hey schuma, thanks for your supportive words :D

I was very surprised when I learned the Dino cube could be solved into its mirror state but I haven't taken the time to find out if the Starminx can too. I am probably going to make a 5th video for "putting it all together" and there I will discuss the color scheme and mirror state and other such items.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:00 pm 

I agree with schuma that this is a very good example of solving complicated puzzles. I know how commutators work, but I actually learned some new tricks here!

A great recommendation for anyone who thinks gelatinbrains applets are too difficult!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:50 pm 

schuma wrote:

:shock: I like the videos too. That is really helpful not only for the Starminx.
What I admire is your deep understanding. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:31 pm 

Really great videos. Makes me feel like I can take a stab at it. Though even with your points commutator, it might take me a bit of work to use it properly. Probably going to need several setup moves and a some pencil/paper to keep track of them all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49 pm 

Nice tutorials, maybe now I can finally solve mine! :D

Would you be against me perhaps making tutorials using these algorithms/commutators on a physical starminx? I would of course give you all the credit. You could even post it on your channel if you like, I'd just like for there to be a tutorial out there for people with real starminxes. :)

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:42 pm 

Kapusta wrote:
Nice tutorials, maybe now I can finally solve mine! :D

Would you be against me perhaps making tutorials using these algorithms/commutators on a physical starminx? I would of course give you all the credit. You could even post it on your channel if you like, I'd just like for there to be a tutorial out there for people with real starminxes. :)
Yeah sure, no problem. I have the platonic world view that commutator sequences are something that exist whether or not somebody has found them so I can no more claim ownership than anybody else. :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:21 pm 

I might actually scramble my Twisted Starminx now!

-Eitan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:18 pm 

pirsquared wrote:
I might actually scramble my Twisted Starminx now!

-Eitan
You might want to hold off on that :lol:. Your twisted Starminx has some Megaminx/Pyraminx Crystal corners showing and the orientation of the centers matters. I'm working on videos for those this evening.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:33 pm 

Nice Video it is, though I don't have a Starminx I.....

Post subject: Re: Video tutorial on how to solve the Starminx I (Updated)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:56 am 

This is a great tutorial! :D :D
What I really like about this and all your hints is, that you are not content just to show "how to solve xxx" but you give us a deep insight "why this works". :)
I could look at your first two parts only and right now I'm on the notebook of my daughter and the speaker has too low volume. :(

I have got two physical Mini Starminx . By accident I've got a replacement from Shapeways, because my first version did hardly turn at all.
The second turns acceptable, but I may consider getting the larger version planned by Tom.

(BTW, I would be really interested to know, how many physical Starminx I and Pentultimate have been produced and how many persons have solved them, so far. In my first Starminx solution, I have solved centres first, but I had been convinced by Katja immediately, that edges first is better and faster.)

As you know, I prefer solving physical puzzles. (I use Gelatinbrain for finding sequences, though.) On the other hand, catching pieces can be annoying, if the flow of thoughts is stopped in the middle of a sequence.

Solving a virtual puzzle on Gelatinbrain has several issues for me, but advanteges too
- I find pattern recognition much harder when a piece can be identified only, by looking at the left and right part of the diagram simultaneously.
- I'm missing the touch of the puzzle in my hands. I feel that the haptic aspect is important to me.
- I miss the Undo and Initialise buttons on the physical puzzles :lol: :lol:
- The logging of moves is great, when searching for new sequences.

I admire your and your Gelatinbrain friends achievement very much and I like the style of friendly competition, as well. :D