Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solving Gear cube in 3 Algs, (AKA, Gear cube FLL)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:41 am 

I was playing with gear cube, and I found out that y can solve the gear slices with one algoritm, no "OLL" needed. I call this FLL or full "last layer". thae way it works is that, when coners and centers are solved, only 3 of the six possible orientations of the gears are posible. I call these, Up, Down, and solved. Basicly the basic PLLs do not preserve orientation of the gears, and we can use this to our advantage. Now, like I said, the 3 orientations are up, down. and solved. These are very easy to recogise. When looking at the M slice(the middle layer between L and R) , if the right side of the top gear in front is pointing up, then it is in the Up orientation, and if it is pointing down, then is is the down orientation.

The basic R U2 R U2 for example, Is an up down algorithm. what this means is that if you preform this alg on a solved cube, it rotates the M slice gears counter clockwise, or up, and the E slice gears clockwise, or down. You are probably saying now "this is all fine and dandy, but how do i modify the rotations?" Well, this is very easy! if you want to rotate both slices in the opposite direction, do R' U2' R' U2'. IF you want to rotate both slices down, then do R' U2 R' U2 for both slices up, do R U2' R U2'. as you can see, this is very straight forward and simple.

The other basic algorithm is U R2 U R2. This is a down up alg. the one note I hav to make here is to flip to a down down alg, you do U' R2 U' R2. The 1st and 3rd moves dictate the M slice orientation, not the R moves.

One more thing, to preserve orientation of M slice, make the first and third *3 (ex R U2 R U2 turns into R3 U2 R3 U2) To preserve the orientation of the E slice, make the 2nd and 4th moves *6 (Ex. R U6 R U6) so to preserve oeantation of both slices you would of course do R3 U6 R3 U6.

that is about it! hae fun speed cubing your gear cube!