Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HOW is this possible???
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:59 am 

Hello

Just got myself an original Rubiks world (3x3x3). Now after scrambling it and solving it i end up with a pairity of some sort. This however, i have no idea how is possible. I swear on my grandmothers grave there was no pairities of any kind when i got it. I did inspect it closely. So im wondering how i made this pairity. Cause far as i know, its not suppose to be possible?!

Any ideas that doesnt involve taking the cube apart? I made this problem without dissembling, and i want a solution where i dont have to dissemble it.

Post subject: Re: HOW is this possible???
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:13 pm 

The pictures are dark and hard to tell what's up. Is one edge flipped while everything else is solved?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:19 pm 

That shouldn't be possible, but I feel like the centers may have something to do with it. Maybe try switching your U and D faces?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:09 pm 

It is a little hard to see, but I think in that last picture the center on top does not have a matching yellow bit in the corner. Perhaps you have the centers in the wrong place?

Otherwise, I can't remember, but is there an edge piece on the puzzle that doesn't have a visible orientation? You could switch the two orientations of those pieces assuming that is the case, but I seem to remember this puzzles does not have a piece like that - I'm thinking your centers are off...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:13 pm 

in the fourth picture you can see that one edge is flipped. I think he has his centers right. that is weird. could it have been unsolvable for a long time without you noticing? (like it popped three years ago but you never finished solving it so you didn't know you put it in wrong.)

4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:13 pm 

Centers don't affect the edges. On regular cubes, corners affect corners, edges affect edges, and centers affect centers. Parity is usually only down to edges.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:19 pm 

Well i popped it on purpose and fixed it. Must have been me not paying attention to how it was assembled when i got it. Also i got it today, so nothing about previous states was known to me or anything.

Also all centres were in the right place, so the seller must have had something wrong with it :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:29 pm 

You probably would have noticed this, but are there any edges where orientation is invisible?

I just solved my hex prism for the first time this afternoon and ran into the problem that adjacent pairs of trapezoidal edge pieces look solved when they're both flipped and in each others' positions, so at the end of "solving" it I appeared to have 1 corner rotated wrong...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:36 pm 

Sacro wrote:
[...] I swear on my grandmothers grave there was no pairities of any kind when i got it. I did inspect it closely [...]
Sacro wrote:
Well i popped it on purpose and fixed it. Must have been me not paying attention to how it was assembled when i got it [...]
All the edges are orientable. That is, no edge could be flipped "invisibly". That being said, there is one edge that might be a little misleading if you don't pay close attention... The yellow edge with Indochina, Indonesia and New Guinea. If this edge was flipped when you got the puzzle, then maybe you didn't notice. You see, if flipped, then the New Guinea island and the Indochinese peninsula are reversed in position. I know they are not the same size but it so happens that New Guinea will almost touch China and will look like a peninsula. Also, Indonesia might look normal up-side-down to the untrained eye. :wink:

My guess is that when you got it, the Indochina-Indonesia-NewGuinea edge was flipped. After you scrambled it and re-solved the puzzle, you placed that particular edge correctly and ended up with an Antarctica edge flipped, and edge that was more noticeable. So, yes, it was the previous owner's fault.

Also, I had to color-correct your dark pictures to see properly, but yes, everything else was perfectly in place.

Skarabajo.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:52 pm 

We had this kind of discussion in the thread called something like "mastermorphix parity". It's impossible to flip a single edge no matter what else you do with the puzzle, except taking apart. That's definetely true because Jaap said so. He would know. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:50 pm 

because one cinter has no stiker :scrambled:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:15 pm 

A little out of topic, but anyone have an idea where i can get a stand for this cube? Mine came without a stand. Guess i cant complain, price was $10 :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:19 pm 

If you have any edge pieces with no visible features/orientation, like in the Pacific/Atlantic Ocean, or Asia, then that's your answer - you need to flip or swap these blank edge pieces around. :wink: