Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: master pyramorphix parity?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:00 pm 

Just a quick question really,

I have an old master pyramorphix. I got it because an ebay site sent the wrong puzzle. The stickers were falling off before I even unpacked it, and I already had a Mefferts one, so I just threw it in the back of the cupboard. Today I got it out for the hell of it and it presented me with an interesting problem. Can someone explain what is going on here? Is it a similar situation to the Void Cube parity?

Thanks,
Burgo.

Attachments:
master-pyramorphix.gif
master-pyramorphix.gif [ 31.74 KiB | Viewed 2360 times ]

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Post subject: Re: master pyramorphix parity?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:02 pm 

I belive this is just a situation in which the true center piece of the 3x3 has been rotated either 90, 180, or 270 degrees. There are a few different algorithms to solve it from here, but basically it is like solving a picture cube - not only do you have to get the corners and edges solved, but you have to solve the centers to where they point a certian way as well. Hope it helps.

Chris

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:35 pm 

Yes, I know what you are saying, but how does it apply to an unstickered cube? The centres are orientated correctly, for example. One `edge` needs flipping. Do you mean to turn the top center (or a center) 180 degrees? Then I just have the same problem. I solve the stickered version with various 3x3 algs, pretty easily. I think the problem might have to do with the corners, it might just be visable as an edge, if you know what I mean. :?

Burgo.

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:01 am 

One edge can't be turned 180 degrees. It's an impossible case.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:41 am 

I swear I haven't popped it, but then, it hasn't been in my sight 24/7 for the last however many months :? (ghosts?? ha ha). Then again, it wouldn't matter what the corners are doing, right, the edges must be able to be orientated without them, and you can't orientate just 1. You are right Luke, all roads go to Rome. I am not trying to poke fun or anything, the stickerless/morph factor got me, I just can't for the life of me figure out how it got popped and assembled, (my kids have been known to pull cubes apart, but they are too young to put them back together).

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:26 am 

it is because you have no stickers
it is not simler to the void cube parity :scrambled:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:49 pm 

Man, is this weird.
I have thought about this void cube theory and it doesn't get me anywhere. Swapping only two edges or corners is possible there, whereas on a normal 3x3x3 swapping two of either edges or corners results in swapping another two, either corners or edges.
But just orientating one edge or corner works nowhere.
However the pieces on a mastermorphix that are the 3x3x3's edges can be placed in another position and appear orientated wrong, can't they?
Just look at the picture and imagine the seemingly disorientated piece to go 90° ccw around the edge's midpoint (or 3x3x3's center piece). Wouldn't it be correct in that spot?
I still don't know anything that solves the problem. But placing pieces in a different spot leads to wrong orientation on this puzzle with no stickers.
Can anyone solve this mistery?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:49 pm 

I think it is impossible without disassembly.
You have 1 edge piece flipped. While not having stickers effectively means that you can do odd permutations, such as swapping any two pieces, that does not help you with the edge orientation. Any single edge swap always changes the number of flipped edges by an even amount.

What can happen on the unstickered master pyramorphix is that a single centre can be twisted by a quarter turn. This is because you can do a J permutation to swap two corners and two edges to change the permutation parity, and this also changes the centre twist.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/