Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Solving 4x4x5
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:42 am 

Ok so im working on my new 4x4x5.

I've used a lot of different alogarithms to solve the 3 middle layers, but when im pairing the middle edges on the last two layers im completly stuck. Does anyone have a bunch of different alogarithms that can be used to move them in between eachoter? I always seem to end up with 5 solved and 3 unsolved and no matter what i put together from previous cubes i still cant this part.

Post subject: Re: Solving 4x4x5
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:43 am 

Here's a great thread for NxNxK cuboids.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16366

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:27 pm 

Might be a foolish question but what does "E and e" actually mean? Im not familiar with the use of the letter "e" in alogarithms. Sorry for my "noobieness" :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:37 pm 

I believe E is a slice move in the same direction as D.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:57 am 

Ok so i got further multiple times but i ended up with this three times. Any easier alogarithms than starting over again to solve it? Pretty sure its very easy, but right now im running blind here ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:02 am 

Hold it like you have in the top picture, and do this: D' L2 l2 U R2 r2 U' L2 l2 U R2 r2 U' D.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:17 am 

Well im quite sure i did it wrong, but that fked my whole cube twise, so now im kinda lost and trying something different. Of course stuck at a new place and clueless and blind from twisting and turning for a while :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:35 am 

I think this commutator will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jSkk4pNo4

My YouTube channel (but I have no videos :P) -> http://www.youtube.com/user/stelioskerezidis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:39 am 

Already there was such theme. Look here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:48 am 

Well okay, that part where top and bottom layers had one centerpiece didn't really work out, but now i cant even reach that stage of the cube.

My current way of solving it is solving the middle 6 pieces in the 3 middle layers. But when im trying to solve the last two i keep ending up with some kind of pairity that i cant seem to understand at all.

Is this puzzle considered advanced and hard? So far its been giving me a really hard time to understand. Also the post written contained alot of information im not sure i understand due to my limitations in the english language :P

Anyways, for now its the hardest puzzle i've tried and the more time i spend with it the less sense it makes. Is there anywhere that can help me to actually understand this specific cube? Or anything like it? To me it doesnt seem to have much to do with my old 3x3x4, 3x3x5 and 3x3x7. And im also struggling to see the connection to a 5x5x6.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:50 am 

All NxNxK cuboids are solved by one principle: the top layer, bottom layer, average layers. Try, train. At you it will turn out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:11 am 

pytlivyj_1 wrote:
All NxNxK cuboids are solved by one principle: the top layer, bottom layer, average layers. Try, train. At you it will turn out.

In that order? Cause thats kinda like exactly the opposite of what i do :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:37 pm 

Im still working on the last case i posted with pictures. Anyone got a way to do this? Cause im still as lost as i was 2 days ago

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:08 pm 

Sacro wrote:
Im still working on the last case i posted with pictures. Anyone got a way to do this? Cause im still as lost as i was 2 days ago
Hi Sacro, I'm not sure why you're having trouble with the centers of the top and bottom faces. In my opinion they are the easiest part of this puzzle.

R = right face; r = right slice; R2 = 180 degree face turn; etc.

For your first case:
[r2 f2 r2 f2] U [r2 f2 r2 f2] U'

For your second case:
[r2 f2 r2 f2]

These sequences aren't pure but since the 4 white and 4 yellow centers are indistinguishable it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:21 pm 

Well my main problem now is the last case, where i cant solve the centers of the 4x5s. Last two images shows what my problem is. upper right of the center is switched. No matter what i do, i always end up with that switched piece, or two L's on one side and two lines on the other.

I know this part is suppose to be easy, but it makes no sense to meat all, cause i always end up where i began.

Also those last alogarithms did nothing. One round of it made the L's and lnes, another put me back in the "one-piece swiched".

By far the most frustrating cube i have :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:44 pm 

Sacro wrote:
Well okay, that part where top and bottom layers had one centerpiece didn't really work out, but now i cant even reach that stage of the cube.

My current way of solving it is solving the middle 6 pieces in the 3 middle layers. But when im trying to solve the last two i keep ending up with some kind of pairity that i cant seem to understand at all.

Is this puzzle considered advanced and hard? So far its been giving me a really hard time to understand. Also the post written contained alot of information im not sure i understand due to my limitations in the english language :P

Anyways, for now its the hardest puzzle i've tried and the more time i spend with it the less sense it makes. Is there anywhere that can help me to actually understand this specific cube? Or anything like it? To me it doesnt seem to have much to do with my old 3x3x4, 3x3x5 and 3x3x7. And im also struggling to see the connection to a 5x5x6.

I REALLY need help with a way to switch these two. Im so blind and its actually starting to become annoying. Does anyone have an alogarithm i can use?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:22 pm 

Sacro wrote:
I REALLY need help with a way to switch these two. Im so blind and its actually starting to become annoying. Does anyone have an alogarithm i can use?
I made two videos for you. The first is a demonstration of a simple 3-cycle. The second is a demonstration of how to use setup moves with that 3-cycle.

For what it is worth, a more generic version of this 3-cycle can cycle almost any piece on the puzzle. I use the same routine to cycle the corners, edges between two 4x5 faces, and centers of the 4x5 faces.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:05 am 

bmenrigh wrote:
Sacro wrote:
I made two videos for you. The first is a demonstration of a simple 3-cycle. The second is a demonstration of how to use setup moves with that 3-cycle.

For what it is worth, a more generic version of this 3-cycle can cycle almost any piece on the puzzle. I use the same routine to cycle the corners, edges between two 4x5 faces, and centers of the 4x5 faces.

Thank you extremly much for that. Not my way of solving anything, so learning something new is great! I make the cube a 3x3x3, and from there solve it like a 3x3x4. Same way i solve all my odd number NxNxK.