Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Learning OLL's and PLL's
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:21 pm 

I'm currently trying to learn advanced last layer algorithms but I don't know where to start. I was wondering if anyone knew which Oll's and Pll's were the most useful and were more likely to appear in a solve.

Post subject: Re: Learning OLL's and PLL's
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:53 pm 

I would suggest starting out using the OCLL method, which goes from the yellow cross stage (as in beginner method) to an oriented last layer. When you have the cross solved, there are only 7 different cases/algorithms. From there you can start to learn some other OLL's and add them in, but this will at least allow you to solve the cube this way.

Here is some more information on OCLL.

As for PLL, there are only 21 algorithms (not bad compared to the 57 for full OLL). Eventually you're going to probably need to learn them all, but you can start with just edge and corner rotations/swaps which will again allow you to be able to finish the cube. From there on you can add an algorithm every now and then until you learn them all.

More information on PLL.

Good Luck!
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:31 pm 

I have found http://www.blueknightcubing.com/ to be an extremely helpful site for learning PLL and OLL algorithms. If you are just starting out with them it gives good, information on which is the most useful to learn first.

Also if you don't enjoy reading a computer screen as much as you like watching one, this site is great as the person running it has videos explaining everything at the bottom of each page!

Cheers,
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:56 pm 

I find Jesse Bond's OLL and [url=http://rubiks.dk/pll.asp?content=tutorials&tutorial=permute_last_layer&speed=slow]PLL[url] to be great because every algorithm is linked to a video of that algorithm in execution, so you can see exactly what he does and how to execute it as fast as possible. I must admit some of the algorithms aren't what others use, but for the most part, they revolve around B, L, and U faces.

As suggested before, OCLL is the best way to start out. 2-Look Orientation is my recommendation so you can learn the PLLs, but learn them one at a time every once and awhile- cramming them makes them harder to remember and thus slower. Jackson Warley is one of the fastest speedsolvers in my area and he uses 2-look OLL in his 13-second solves. What Jackson told me was that it's all in the F2L. The faster your F2L, the faster the solve, so if you're looking to get faster, learn quick F2L.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:33 am 

I would recommend CubeWhiz, I have found their site very easy to follow. Also, I agree with Rentlix. I have an average of 11.05 seconds, and I know less than 20 OLLs. However, after a while of solving the cube with 2-look (which I have been for almost 18 months!) it starts to become a 1-look OLL. Once you've practised each case plenty of times over, you can just look at a case, look away, perform your 2-look algorithm, and the cube will be solved. I personally still consider this 2-look OLL, because I usually either do a F R U R' U' F' or a f R U R' U' f', and then one of the 7 algorithms for the rest of it, but I've managed to get all of the cases down to a state where I don't have to do two looks.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!