Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Starminx(I) Edge Help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:48 am 

Does anyone have any algorithms for solving the edges of a Starminx(I)? I thought you would solve them like pyraminx crystal edges but that messes up the centers. Help!

Post subject: Re: Starminx(I) Edge Help
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:16 am 

I haven't gotten my stickers, so I'm not sure how to solve it, but what about saving the centers for after the edges? Just a thought.

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:02 am 

In solving the Starminx, I have found pure algorithms for the edges, triangle-face pieces, and centers all. However, having only solved it once, there could be much better and more optimable ways of solving it than I do.

I solve one face edges using intuition. I do this for about the bottom half of the puzzle. Then, to cycle three edges (nonpure, meaning other things get messed up), I do L', R, L, R'. [I'm not sure of proper notation, so I will explain how it should look - you hold the Starminx with a pentagonal face facing you, with one of its vertices pointing down. There are six faces you can turn now - U, R, DR, DL, L, in counter clockwise order from the top, and F for turning the front. Doing L', R, L, R' will cycle the top, bottom right, and bottom left edges on the front face.

Sorry if this is confusing, I cannot show pictures at this time. Hope it helps!

John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." One of those other things may have been building the 17x17x17.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:37 am 

77mouser wrote:
Does anyone have any algorithms for solving the edges of a Starminx(I)? I thought you would solve them like pyraminx crystal edges but that messes up the centers. Help!
I have done a partial solve yesterday, so far: 1. edges as on a Pyraminx Crystal 2. Centres (I could find a (4,1) commutator for a 3-cycle of centres pretty easily. It is non-pure, but it leaves the edges intact. Small hint: {Try Gelatinbrain 1.1.5 and do: R L' R' L - those are the 4 moves in the commutator and look for an appropriate move for the 1 move in the commutator} 3. the little triangles (=star tips) with a (3,1) commutator.
Originally, I had planned to do it 1. centres 2.edges 3. star tips
In this outline I would use a (3,1) commutator for a pure 3-cycle of the edges.
I think, my new outline saves solves in the first two steps, as there are 12 centres and 30 edges.
And my Pyraminx Crystal solve is based on a 4 move un-pure 3-cycle.

The most tedious part is the star tips solving and this is completely identical in the two outlines.
I have finished this half way, because I have other priorities right now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:24 pm 

I use a [3,1] algo for edges. This algo uses slice moves extensively. I believe you could find it.

In Gelatinbrain 1.1.5, the algo is:

C&2,F'&2,C'&2,
F',
C&2,F&2,C'&2,
F,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:48 pm 

@77mouser: Could you solve the Starminx (V1) with the hints so far? What kind of Starminx do you solve (e.g. TomZ's Mini Starminx)?

I do still blieve that it is easier to do the edges in step 1, solving it as a Pyraminx Crystal. Without counting setup moves, a 3 cycle of edges costs 4 moves only, while a pure 3-cycle costs 8 moves. I have a different (3,1) commutator for the edges, but do not need it.

More hints:
{First Notation:
The left two pictures show Gelatinbrain notation, if you orient the dodecahedron as in the picture. The pair of pictures at the left shows 6 faces looking from the front, at the right the 6 faces looking at the backside.
The right pair shows my own notation. I denote inner layer turns with small letters, outer layer turns with capitals (There are a few combinations, though e.g. Br = Back right).

As an example schuma's algoritm above in Gelatinbrain notation is: C&2,F'&2,C'&2,F',C&2,F&2,C'&2,F,
In my notation it is: r2, l‘2, r‘2, R‘, r2, l2, r‘2, R
Here is a picture (out of Gelatinbrain 1.1.5) how the result of schuma's algorithm looks, on a solved Starminx

You would not need an edges algorithm at all, if you start solving the edges like on a Pyraminx Crystal.

In case my hint above was not sufficient, here is an impure (4,1) commutator for the centres:
R L‘ R‘ L Br L‘ R L R‘ Br‘ (Gelatinbrain: C,F',C',F, G, F',C,F,C', G',
shortened to (3,1) R L‘ R‘ Br R L R‘ Br‘ (Gelatinbrain: C,F',C', G, C,F,C', G'with the result:

The most tedious part is solving the startips in step 3. Here is a (3,1) commutator for a pure 3-cycle
R‘2, L2, R2, l‘, R‘2, L‘2, R2, l (Gelatinbrain: C'2, F2,C2,F'&2,C'2,F'2,C2,F&2,)
Close to the end, setup moves become a bit harder. Here is a 10 move algorithm that I have adopted from my Pentultimate solution. It is another 3-cycle with two startips on one face. (It exchanges seemingly two startips.):
L‘ F2 R L‘ U2 L U‘2 R‘ L F‘2 (Gelatinbrain: F',A2,C,F',B2,F,B'2,C',F,A'2,)
}
EDIT: Corrected a typo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:28 am 

Thanks for all the help! I got it. I think maybe I will solve it edges first next time though.
Konrad-I have a TomZ Starminx(not a good turning one :( but it still turns)