Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How did you choose your 3x3 method?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:41 pm 

Hello everyone! In a moment of curiosity I decided to make this thread. I was wondering: What exactely persuaded you to use the method that you currently use for speedsolving the 3x3? I figured that some rather interesting answers to this question could pop up.

As for myself, after many years of interest in puzzle collecting, I finally am getting into speedsolving. I originally intended to learn the Fridrich method, but the idea of using more intuition and less algorithms drew me towards the Petrus or Roux method. After some time thinking, I now think I'll be learning Roux because the idea of using only M and U turns for the top layer seems really fun and unique to me. (Not to mention using a more rare method makes me feel cool. :lol: )

Post subject: Re: How did you choose your 3x3 method?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:46 pm 

I made my own method, so that's what attracts me to it.

Moderator for Puzzling Stack Exchange - a new site for specific puzzling questions!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:54 pm 

When I began solving cubes I learned the Petrus method. I didn't know anything about puzzles, so I literally chose the first method I discovered, that also seemed to me quite intuitive and easy. Honestly I think I didn't entirely learnt it, because I didn't find all the algorythms to complete every state of the last layer, so I had to think by myself to a final method to complete it...

Currently I'm thinking of learning other methods, because the Petrus is easy but is also too slow, and I still have horrible solving times...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:38 pm 

I intuitively came up with my own F2L (full step, not layer-by-layer), orientation (F U R U' R' F' and Sune), and Permutation (intuitive, much like a keyhole LL).

My original solution is the use of a middle layer as an equator. Petrus-like orientation of the U and D faces work well followed by permutation like on a Square One- R2 rather than slicing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:53 pm 

I first learned from a video. The method was a 3-layer system, and the first layer I taught myself (the video is hard to follow). I started off with solving top-layer corners, then edges, then middle edges, then permute last-layer corners, then orient last-layer corners, then orient last-layer edges, then permute last-layer edges. I have trimmed this down to an intuitive F2L then orient last corners, permute last corners, re-orient last corners, orient last edges, then permute last edges. I chose this method because it was the one that was easiest to memorize (it has only 5 or 6 algorithms) and it was a video solution (easier for me to learn; I had only tried text solutions up to that point)

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:30 pm 

I just worked my way off beginner's method towards fridrich. :) Other methods mostly confuse me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:34 pm 

Geoiv wrote:
I originally intended to learn the Fridrich method, but the idea of using more intuition and less algorithms drew me towards the Petrus or Roux method.

That's not true at all. Most of my Fridrich method (even OLLs) are intuitive. It gives you a much better understanding of other methods too, because you can use techniques from Fridrich and apply them to other methods.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:15 pm 

SEBUVER wrote:
Geoiv wrote:
I originally intended to learn the Fridrich method, but the idea of using more intuition and less algorithms drew me towards the Petrus or Roux method.

That's not true at all. Most of my Fridrich method (even OLLs) are intuitive. It gives you a much better understanding of other methods too, because you can use techniques from Fridrich and apply them to other methods.

Sebuver, just a curiosity, how much algorythms do you use on average to solve the cube with the Fridrich?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:23 pm 

Well, I make an intuitive cross (like everybody), and then intuitive F2L. I know about 20 OLL algorithms, and then I know all 21 PLLs.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:37 pm 

No, that's not what I mean :D
I wanted to say: how much algorythms do you usually use per every solve?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:30 pm 

Umm... OLL algorithm = 1. PLL algorithm = 1. 1 + 1 = 2. Two algorithms (or proper ones anyway).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:59 pm 

I learned independently to solve using Corners-First. While improving at that method, I started considering alternate approaches. One approach that made sense to me was to block build starting with a 2x2x2. Years later after I had developed a good Corners-First method, I decided to explore the block building approach. I am now proficient in both. I guess I choose my method based on my amount of free time, energy, intelligence, and my own goals, etc. It's a good question but hard for me to give an exact answer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 pm 

SEBUVER wrote:

I am aware that Fridrich can be intuitive, and usually is when it comes to F2L; it's how I solved the F2L for some time (followed by a beginner LL system). I guess I could have worded my original post better. The real reason I like Roux is, like I said, the M and U exclusive final step, it's very interesting to me. And so far, I am liking it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:34 am 

I started trying to become a speedsolver and gave up 24 hours later. I searched for an easier method and came across http://helm.lu/cube/MarshallPhilipp/, Philip Marshall's Ultimate Solution (2 algorithms: one of 4 moves and another of 8 moves, both symmetrical). What persuaded me to use it was its unbelievable simplicity, the fact that I had to remember basically nothing, and the fact that it was easily extensible to higher cubes.

From what I've seen it's not used much at all. I'll be interested to see if some of the new cubes I've ordered can be solved using it or whether I'll be on the forums asking for help.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:03 am 

I think it depends on how `fast` you want to get. I know a number of methods for 3x3 because I've tended to go laterally rather than for speed. I know what times I can get for all of them. But the fastest is the layers method. F2L really speeds you up (after you learn it in your fingers not your eyes). But the real thing that will speed you up is as simple as getting the white cross properly sorted- and there's no algs for that, it's just your brain! I still haven't learned past the beginner method I chose for the last layer, butI don't think its worth it until I can get a good 5 sec white cross.

Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:10 pm 

Hi Geoiv,

In developing my own method I concentrated on two things: freedom of movement and taking the fewest moves. These two aspects worked very well together, and still do. I can still improve what I do.

Here's the beginner's version:
http://www.speedcubing.com/DavidJSalvia.html

Cheers,

David J