Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Intuative Square-1 Solving
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:06 pm 

Okay so one of my friends came over to my house and saw my square-1 on my desk and he was trying to figure out how to solve it all night. he has no prior knowledge of twistypuzzles at all so i was like "your never going to solve that" as a joke and he asked if he could borrow it. he sent me a video of how far he got and he suprised me.

heres a video: (i realized that he had parity.haha)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2zWtVG3XE4

he did not take it apart or look up how to solve it. i tried to give him hints but he ignored me because he wanted to do it by himself without help.

I wanted to know actually how difficult the square-1 actually is without any prior knowledge of twistypuzzles. if you guys could give me some info on this that would be great. i just thought i would share this because its pretty interesting.

Post subject: Re: Intuative Square-1 Solving
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:46 pm 

The SQ1 fundamentally is a puzzle on his own, it isn't a derivated of another puzzle, so I don't think that knowing or not how to solve another kind of cube can really help in solving it.
It isn't too much hard, indeed it's "quite intuitive", and I think it can be solved also without knowing any specific algorithm, also if it requires time and patience...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:09 pm 

one of my friends solved my pyraminx 4 times in a row without any prior knowledge of twisty puzzles at all.

Some puzzles are very intuitive, I can get half of a side on my square 2 intuitively but thats it :)

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:45 pm 

My girlfriend got my Square-1 only one turn away from the top and bottom layers being square. I think it took her an hour or so. I'm not sure why she didn't do that last turn though. This puzzle seems to come easy to some people regardless of experience. There are correlations between it and the 3x3x3 but I doubt that many of us cubers make that connection early on. When I first got mine it took me a couple hours over the course of two days to finish it. My knowledge at the time of cubes up to the 6x6x6 only helped me minutely. Believing that I could do it was my greatest asset.