Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A question about the Fridrich Method
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 pm 

Hello everybody! I have a quick, simple question with a not so simple answer. I know many of you would likely say that I need to find out my own solution, but I felt that it was at least worth asking here. After finally getting back into speedcubing, I want to fully learn the Fridrich method. The simplest way to put my question is: How the heck do you memorize so many algorithms? The way I've been doing it so far is just choosing one, doing it over and over again until I have it memorized, and then memorizing what situation it should be used in. Is this a halfway decent way of doing it, or are there better ways? Oh, and just to add a little information, I'm learning OLL and PLL before learning F2L.

Thanks ahead of time!
George

Post subject: Re: A question about the Fridrich Method
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:06 pm 

Learn F2L intuitively. There really is no point in memorizing all of those algs for F2L when intuitive F2L is just as fast if not faster.

Tony Fisher wrote:
MaCheezm0 wrote:
2nd layer using Fisher parts

I very much hope you mean Fisher Cube parts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:23 pm 

That's more or less what I've heard, but I wasn't entirely sure. However, I do still need to do something about the many OLL/PLL algs XD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:40 pm 

This is a good video by badmephisto that goes over some tips and tricks for learning the OLLs and the PLLs. If I remember correctly from when I watched it, one thing he says is that to learn an algorithm, just repeat it for a certain amount of time until it is in your muscle memory.

Also, when solving, you will need to recognize which case you are dealing with so that you can use the appropriate algorithm. So, when learning one, make sure that the recognition of the case and the algorithm go together.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:21 am 

What I would do is look at an algorithm, attempt to memorise the moves, not the notation algorithm (I can't remember algorithms for the life of me, only what sides to turn). I then perform the algorithm around ten times or so. I then move onto the next algorithm and do the same thing. I do that for about four algorithms. A couple of hours later I then try and see if I've memorised them. Most of the time the answer is no, so I have to relook up the algorithm, and usually after that it's stuck in my head.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!