Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Truncated Helicopter Octahedron-Jumbling?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:26 pm 

I have so far been able to solve my truncated Helicopter Octahedron without jumbling, however I am having issues with the jumbling aspect. To be more specific, I have often come up with situations where 2 pieces are flipped in place (or one is flipped and the others are just really jumbled, which means that another would be flipped but not in place). I can usually work out how to insert the pieces into their correct places, but the orientation is difficult. Does anyone have an algorithm or tips?

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

Post subject: Re: Truncated Helicopter Octahedron-Jumbling?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 am 

I think a lot of people gave up on this puzzle because it is trivial to solve without jumbling. However, once jumbled this thing can be hideously difficult, particularly the situation of flipped pieces that you're describing. I've tried parity solving it, but the issue of misplaced orbits makes this extremely difficult, or at the very least non-intuitive. I have managed to solve mine a couple of times, but I can't repeat the process consistently.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) ever come across a flipping algorithm, please share!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:53 am 

I have an alg for the helicopter cube that enables me to switch two adjacent triangles. It's not clean though, meaning that after I switched they are in the intended orbit, but I have to use another 3 cycle and if corners were solved already they will be scrambled again.
I can't tell you how right now. I will see if I can make a graphic of some type with notations ant than post it.

quicksolver wrote:
I have so far been able to solve my truncated Helicopter Octahedron without jumbling, however I am having issues with the jumbling aspect. To be more specific, I have often come up with situations where 2 pieces are flipped in place (or one is flipped and the others are just really jumbled, which means that another would be flipped but not in place). I can usually work out how to insert the pieces into their correct places, but the orientation is difficult. Does anyone have an algorithm or tips?

Are you talking about the dayan gem?
I suggest you first care about solving the shape only. I don't have algs for that it's just messing around a bit. Once you have restored the shape all pieces are orientated correctly and just need their place. It makes no sense solving pieces into the right place while they are still jumbled in my eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:17 am 

I finally came up with an algorithm to fix the problem of twisted corner pieces. It's sort of convoluted (basically a brute-force parity solve) but that single move makes the overall solving process fairly simple. If there's some interest, I'll try to document my approach...but not right now; I'm tired of looking at the damn thing.