Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Alternative Megaminx Solutions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:29 pm 

Whenever I read about anything related to the Megaminx, it is always described as being visually more impressive (due to the shape and number of pieces), yet deceptively similar in strategy to a normal Rubik's cube. After recently purchasing my first Megaminx, I found that this is indeed the case, as the typical moves for the first two layers of a Rubik's cube (using a vanilla method) have easy analogues on a Megaminx.

I was curious, however, if there were any other popular strategies. I've looked around quite a bit, and all I can find are these kinds of strategies, with the only variation being how people solve the last face. Are there other commonly used methods that maybe solve the corner/edges first? I am decent at a corner-first method for a cube, but it relies so heavily on twisting the equator sections that I can't understand how it could be adapted for a Megaminx.

I was also wondering, when it comes to Gigaminx/Teraminx solutions, if people typically just adapt methods from 5x5x5/7x7x7 cubes?

I am completely new to the forum, so I apologize if this is an obvious question. Thanks for your input!

Post subject: Re: Alternative Megaminx Solutions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:18 pm 

For the last layer of megaminx I solve the edges first. The method is a direct analog of the edge-first method for 3x3x3. It is also easy to solve all the edges first and then solve all the corners. For Gigaminx and Teraminx, one can use the same method as in 4x4x4 or 5x5x5 to solve the centers and to join the edges in order to reduce them to Megaminx. Given that you can solve megaminx and 4x4x4, there should be no additional difficulty to solve a higher order megaminx.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:15 am 

I learned the 3x3x3 corners only as well and as result the Megaminx was a particular challenge. Also factor in that I learned the 3x3x3 from a book but took on the Megaminx on my own.

I think people who approach the 3x3x3 edges first or layer based can share a lot more when solving the megaminx. Working out corner permutation and orientation and then edge permutation and orientation is possible (I did) but you can't borrow much.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:23 am 

I solve my megaminx using a fridrich f2l adaptation that I thought up. I solve the star on one side (the equivalent of the cross) the fill in the 5 slots. I put the solved face on the bottom and then finish everything up to the last layer using the same f2l methods. I solve the last layer using exact replicas of 3x3x3 commutators. I solve my gigaminx and teraminx exactly the same as a 5x5x5 and 7x7x7. Reduction with centers first, edges, then megaminx.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:09 am 

Petrus-style block-building works especially well on the Megaminx.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:41 am 

It's quite interesting that even though the Megaminx is very similar to the Rubik's Cube, the fact that it doesn't have a "middle" layer means that a lot of solutions don't work on it, or at least with ease. For me I worked out most of the Megaminx myself using the beginner's method, but had help for the last layer. But now I've finally come up with my own LL solution, I can now average (almost) sub two minutes.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:02 pm 

Jared wrote:
Petrus-style block-building works especially well on the Megaminx.

Jared, do you have any links to info on how it is adapted for the megaminx?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:06 pm 

No, because I taught myself to do it intuitively. :)

If you're not familiar with Petrus, it's a 3x3 method where you build up the cube by corner blocks - first a 2x2x2, then a 2x2x3, then an edge parity fix, then finish F2L, then LL. On a Megaminx, there's a lot more room, so you just keep building onto what you have until you get down to 2 faces remaining (at which point you can do the edge parity fix and all that).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:17 pm 

I've heard of it before, but unfortunately I don't have a regular cube with me to help learn the method. I look forward to trying it when I get back from vacation in a couple weeks. :D

Is it a relatively fast method? Beyond my curiosity to find what analogous methods are possible, I was also hoping to figure out what the quickest method would be in general, since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of discussion on speedcubing when it comes to the Megaminx.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:57 am 

Couldn't tell you if it's a fast method or not, because I'm not fast. :lol: