Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Skewb - and a lot other cubes...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:14 pm 

Although people say the skewb is easier than a Rubik's to solve, the thing is: I can't solve it.
Not only that, but a whole bunch of cubes that are in my "collection", or mini collection, such as the FTO or even the Rainbow cube.
I kind of have problems in learning new stuff from watching youtube videos, so, can someone point me a site where I can get detailed solutions for the skewb and, maybe, other cubes?
I do prefer to read than watch a solution guide!

Post subject: Re: Skewb - and a lot other cubes...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:19 pm 

http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

This website should have a good guide to any puzzle you have (EDIT: Not sure I see an FTO guide...). Try to only learn the parts you have a lot of trouble with, it's always the most fun when you make up the solution yourself.
Have fun! :D

PB: At home (In Competition)
2x2 1.xx (2.88)
3x3 11.xx (15.81)
4x4 1:18.26 (1:24.63)
5x5 (3:00.02)
6x6 4:26.05 (6:34.68)
7x7 6:38.74 (9:48.81)
OH (35.63)

Current Goals:
7x7 sub 6:30
4x4 sub 1:10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:29 am 

Most of the time, you can solve a Rainbow Cube just by turning sides. FTO is a bit harder, but when you've worked out basic three cycles, it shouldn't be too hard. If you're struggling, you can always go onto YouTube. For the Skewb, you want to solve one side, then solve the centers around that side, and then flip the last corners on the top lay. I use a one algorithm method which I came up with over a year ago, and it's got me a time of 1.56 seconds!

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:45 am 

SEBUVER wrote:
I use a one algorithm method which I came up with over a year ago, and it's got me a time of 1.56 seconds!

You can solve a Skewb in 1.56 seconds ?!

The puzzles on the picture are not for sale.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:57 pm 

The FTO is the hardest of these puzzles and finding all the commutators for it can be pretty tricky. The corners are easy and the same goes for the edges. It's the triangle pieces (the one-sticker pieces below the corners) that's going to be hard to find a pure (one that will only effect these pieces no matter the set-ups you include) cycle for. I solve it in this order:

Method: piece-by-piece (all coners, all edges, all triangles)

1. Solve the corners, 3 at a time using a simple 4 move non-pure cycle.
2. Solve the edges, 3 at a time using a simple 8 move non-pure cycle.
3. Solve the triangles, 3 at a time using a hard-to-find 20 move pure cycle.

For step 3, it is possible to reduce the routine to a (3,1) commutator --> 8 moves, but I haven't had the time to find this cycle yet. Here's a link to my post about my 20 move cycle for the triangles in Gelatin Brain's Applet Solutions Discussion Thread, if you're interested in my algo. Hope this helped :D

Note, this is not the most efficient method, but it works perfectly if you're simply interested in solving it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:44 pm 

FTO? Hard? If you do it in a different order it's very easy. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:54 pm 

This site has the solution to just about every puzzle you'll ever see:
Jaap's puzzle page

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:13 pm 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I'll admit, the Skewb I do not think is an easy puzzle to solve intuitively. (Even watching MULTIPLE videos and reading the Meffert guide I still had trouble :oops: )
But I eventually figured it out, and knowing the basic Skewb algs helps ALOT with other Octahedron symmetry puzzles like the FTO or Rex cube.

I have a super simple FTO method that requires only 1 long algorithm (corner orientation) which utilizes a different order of solving: edge->center->corner. You can solve it pretty much intuitively that way, though the (u r u' l' u r' u' l) does wonders on corner permutation.

The Rainbow cube is... well, so simple to solve. it doesn't really deserve a tutorial. You can solve either a square face first, or a triangle face first, and then you just twist the other pieces into place. Since edges can't be rotated in place, and edge permutation is shown by the triangle center, there's not many even mildly difficult situations.

I suggest you keep trying different methods, starting with the Rainbow cube, and then the Skewb and the FTO, until you can solve them all. It's no fun looking for solutions! :D

good luck!
sj

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:35 pm 

Monopoly wrote:
I'll admit, the Skewb I do not think is an easy puzzle to solve intuitively.

I agree. If the Skewb had come out first I have doubts I would have solved it. In my opinion The Rubik's Cube is far easier since you can solve it in separate steps without getting lost. Once that first face is done you can keep fiddling around with new moves but easily return each time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:59 am 

Hi Friends,

I am very interested to know if this method that I came up with is unique. I looked hard to find this thread. I noticed that Luke had a 1 alg method. Luke, what is your alg?? I found that I could solve this puzzle (almost intuitively) `sometimes` using combinations of RL’R’L and pyraminx algs. Sometimes it took me 5 mins and sometimes 1/2 an hour, so I sat down with the solved puzzle and figured out a few things and pieced them together in an order and got this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWnTIXKxW4g

I’ve been sitting on it for a while (ha ha Fonzie). So now that I have a You Tube account I can finally demonstrate it to you (before I had no way to `describe` the method).

Is it unique?
Is it any good?
Is it easily learnable?
Did I miss something simple that would make it more streamlined?
Opinions?

I just want to know (in case I am embarrassing myself too much). I have no idea how others solve this puzzle.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:23 am 

actually, the skewb is one of the two puzzles that there is a solution to in the solutions section of this site.

4x4:36.50/45.59
5x5: 1:21.50/1:41.50
7x7: 4:10.50

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:30 am 

Thanks X-TownCuber,

I didn't even think of that, I will check that out, by the way my method is the full version including the Skewb Kite / Skewb Ultimate. The 6s at the end aren't on the `Skewb Cube`method.

*EDIT It is a different method, looks shorter but less intuitive (well for me anyway, that's subjective) I will sit down and solve it that way.

*EDIT 2 This is a different mindset to mine, I am solving it with a `layers method` bottom layer, then top layer. Wow, the notation is hard to get used to. I just solved it that way, it's probably quicker I think (less turns too). I don't know what's better? I also looked at Jaaps page, I don't see pyraminx rotation or RF'R'F anywhere, I think I might have a unique method, longish but repetitive algs, maybe easy enough to remember? Works for me. Opinions?

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)