Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My rex cube...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:13 am 

I've tried begging it, heckling it, giving it positive reinforcement, ESP, asking it politely, pleading with it, barter, cussing at it, lecturing it, and nothing works.

My rex cube continued to adamantly remain scrambled, so I did something drastic. I tried solving it myself.

Well this leads to the serious point of my topic, which is I have no clue how to solve the rex cube. I've tried solving from a vertex (where do I go from there? I got to the point where that vertex's rotation is solid-colored), solving face-first, solving blocks of 2 pieces and positioning them, etc.

I do NOT want algorithms!!! But, I would like to know a general methodology. Like which pieces should I go for first, next, etc. Just a general outline, nothing that would give away the solution, but something that would give me a clue as to how to begin.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Post subject: Re: My rex cube...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:16 am 

I had the same problem so I posted it here http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19246 However since you don't want algorithms, the first step is to solve the puzzles edges like a dino cube. Then solve the triangle like pieces. Finally, solve the center pieces

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:25 am 

Is there an order to the triangle-y pieces? like do I solve one face's worth of them, then another, then another?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:29 am 

Yup! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:36 am 

NType3 wrote:
Is there an order to the triangle-y pieces? like do I solve one face's worth of them, then another, then another?

I solve it bottom up. e.g. start with the white side on bottom. Then solve all side "Dino Cube" parts. Then solve all top face yellow "Dino cube" parts. The cube should now have all of the Dino cube parts in place.

Next you should start bottom up again. Solve the white bottom all of the way, this should be trivial! Next work on the adjacent sides (orange and blue or red and green). This should make three sides done that border each other. After those are done (e.g. white blue and orange), work on the last three adjacent sides. This should allow you to solve the cube.

Hope this helps!

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:12 pm 

Thanks guys! I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:17 pm 

Theres always the ultimate solution. It works on almost all puzzles that I have encountered and requires minimal algorithms:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:50 pm 

1.solve all edges
2.pair all triangle pieces(canine teeth)
just like 4x4x4 pair edges
3.put paired triange pieces to correct position
4.center

or

1. all edges
2. centers
3. triangle pieces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:01 pm 

Thanks, but I already solved it!

I'm working on a consistent way to solve it, though, but thanks anyway!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 am 

Garrett wrote:
Theres always the ultimate solution. It works on almost all puzzles that I have encountered and requires minimal algorithms:

That's so cool!!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:02 am 

the way i do it is i get the green edges solved
then i pair two green triangles without the center piece and insert it onto the green face
then i make a line formed by the remaining to triangles and the center piece and insert it onto the green face

with the green side done i solve the remaining edges
then, you need only solve two faces that are joined to the green face using a similar method as before
then you are left with a corner of 3 unsolved faces

i use an algorithm so... from there... good luck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:26 am 

The Rex Cube is equivalent to the Face Turning Octahedron. All of the same parts are there, however, there are some nominal solving differences due to the coloring scheme: The inner squares are the Octahedron corners, which do not require orientation on the Rex Cube. The triangular centers are also colored and arranged differently. On the FTO, the three same-colored triangle centers on each face are interchangeable, but on the Rex Cube, an inner triangle can only be exchanged across diagonals. In both puzzles, the inner triangles exist as two logically distinct sets of identical parts which cannot be intermixed. Also, the Rex face centers/ Octahedronal corners can only be rotated in increments of 180 degrees (never 90), and while edges can be exchanged freely, they can never be flipped. This unique nature is due to the Octahedronal geometry, also being equivalent to to the intersection of dual tetrahedra.

Though I own both, my preference leans towards the FTO for it's symmetry. The Skewb Diamond is also sometimes considered a Junior version of the FTO. Also, if one were to redesign the Rex Cube with planar cuts, it would become a Master Skewb.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:40 am 

ndgamer4life wrote:
the way i do it is i get the green edges solved
then i pair two green triangles without the center piece and insert it onto the green face
then i make a line formed by the remaining to triangles and the center piece and insert it onto the green face

with the green side done i solve the remaining edges
then, you need only solve two faces that are joined to the green face using a similar method as before
then you are left with a corner of 3 unsolved faces

i use an algorithm so... from there... good luck

I solve the same as this.

Then, to do the next 3 sides, I use a simple one move setup move to make a tooth/centre/tooth that when flipped will solve one or two teeth. Kind of hard to explain, but you take out this tooth/centre/tooth set and put it in one of the solved sides. Then you put it back in the spot you got it from, but upside down, and undo your setup move. After that, you re-solve the three completed sides by taking slice out into unsolved sides, and putting them back in the correct spot.

I take no credit for this method. I learnt it from Youtube. I've seen the Rex cube solving threads on here, and they all seem to be way more complicated than this method.