Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: World's Easiest 3x3 tutorial
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:24 am 

I've uploaded a 2 part guide to solve a standard Rubik's Cube. I suspect it may be one of the easiest ever solve guides. Here's the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACmeiOx7Vyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hXtd-Tllhk

Post subject: Re: World's Easiest 3x3 tutorial
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:18 pm 

heiowge wrote:
... I suspect it may be one of the easiest ever solve guides. ...
You have done a good job and it is probably one of the easiest methods I've ever seen. :)
I guess you want to address beginners? Therefore, two things could improve your tutorial:
1. When showing your algorithms (manoeuvres), you should do that more slowly, step by step. Beginners may have difficulties following your manoeuvres. (Introducing a written notation will make the tutorial longer, but probably easier to follow.)
2. When you are orienting the corners of the last layer, it would be less confusing for a beginner, if you continue with the yellow face up. (There is a little repetition in this part of the video, too.)

No offense meant and no criticism intended :) Just a proposal for making it perfect! :)
I'll send your links to somebody who has learnt a beginners method a short time ago, and I'll see how she judges it.

Last edited by Konrad on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:58 pm 

Thanks. :D No offense taken at all. Yes the method was aimed at the the many who want to solve but hit "algorithms" and panic. And the number of cube tutorials that assume people can complete the cross on their own is staggering. I know. I've made those guides before. I wanted a guide that anyone could use.

The repetition is my fault. Basically what happened was that I filmed all the parts in steps (about 30 or 40 parts) and then edited them together. That way if I made mistakes, I wouldn't have to redo too much. I started joining bits, but needed to replace certain parts. Then my machine went kaput. By the time I got it all fixed again, the cube I used had damaged stickers (kids, huh!) and had them replaced by mosaic tiles. So I filmed them with a close matching colour cube - rubiks with CS tiles.

Editing the first part was fine, but my wife came back too early so the second half editing was more rushed. That's why there's repetition.

There are a few bits I'd love to refilm, but it's probably the best cut I could make in the time I had. I would redo the yellow cross rotation alg and the middle layer edge positioning, and I would add a guide on what to do with 3 or 1 edge on the yellow cross. And if you are left with a single corner to rotate. In fact, I might just record a part 3.

I'm not sure I agree with the yellow face rotation. The issue with that decision is twofold. Firstly I use that method more (not for standard solving, but for my Touchcube). Secondly, it restricts the moves to Up and Right, which are easier faces for most people to manipulate than Down and Right.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:31 pm 

I didn't watch more than the first couple minutes because I couldn't tell the red and orange colors apart. :?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:05 am 

That is indeed a very decent effort and it surely looks very friendly to many people.

My approach is to break everything in as many tiny pieces as possible (I call mine
the DRUL-ing method and it is part of a University seminar). In general, crosses
can speed up the solution, but from I have seen (at my puzzle club), novice learners
seem to understand better how to solve the cube by only knowing two facts:

1. There are three types of pieces:centers, edges, and corners (you also state this).
2. We only need four sequences: orienting and swapping corners, and orienting and
swapping edges (add two more for the centers if requested).

So far, I had tremendous results with this method, as there have been cases where
my "students" have come back to me proposing improvements (albeit more complex)
of the current easy sequences. Which is exactly what the goal is, that is, to provide
them with encouragement and confidence. Then, they get hooked and come up with
their own creative achievements.

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:54 am 

Great work Heiowge, very nice and clear, certainly the clearest instruction video I have seen so far.

Having said that I like Pantazis' approach even more, because it is pure and minimalistic logic, which would better help people to *understand* how to solve the puzzle by developing their own method, rather than just copying and learning somebody else's.

But that's not to take anything away from what you've managed to achieve! :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:59 am 

Indeed, very nice tutorial for beginners who want to learn the layer-by-layer method.

I also like Pantazis minimalistic method; it reminds me of this method for beginners who want to learn the edge-first method.

Jared is right, for some reason the red and orange are a little bit close. I could tell the difference and follow, but maybe you want to do a little color correction with your favorite video program just in case...

So, yes, kudos for one of the best tutorials for beginners on the web!

Peace,

Skarabajo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:10 am 

The colour closeness was down to my camera's autofocusing. I'm not entirely sure how I'd correct that sort of thing... Saying that, if I remember correctly, I think I stated each colour as it became important. So I'm not entirely convinced that it's so much of an issue. I suppose it is also down to what you're viewing it on as well. I have a fairly modern monitor with a good display. Older monitors may have more issues. Maybe next time I'll go with different colours.

kastellorizo - I'd very much like to see that method explained. Any chance of filming it next time you do it and uploading please?

Skarabajo - edges first is a great method for solving the corner turning octahedron as well.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on the vid.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:59 am 

heiowge wrote:
kastellorizo - I'd very much like to see that method explained. Any chance of filming it next time you do it and uploading please?

I use only two moves and their inverses, i.e. up, down(=inverse of up), right, right (inverse of left).
The abbreviations are D, R, U, L (Hence it is named as the DRUL-ing method).

I have no video of it, but it is all safely kept in a powerpoint seminar. It is no rocket
science to figure out the sequences which are made by repeated "DRUL" alike parts.

For example, the DRRULLL DRULL orients corner pieces (here the D and U
correspond to the right layer, and the R and L to the bottom layer), and
the sequence DRULL DRU swaps edge pieces (this time, the D and U correspond
to the middle part) and so on. All these are graphically explained.

My seminar "attacks" the problem with permutations and group theory, and one
of my favourite things that I love to explain, is how a 7-cycle combines with a
9-cycle to create a 63-cycle for the move DR (or in other words, if you perform
63 times the right slice downwards + the bottom slice towards the right, you will
return to the solved position).

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:51 pm 

konsassen wrote:
...I'll send your links to somebody who has learnt a beginners method a short time ago, and I'll see how she judges it.
So, here is her feedback:
Elisabeth wrote:
Hi Konrad,
thankyou for sending me the Heiowge links. I think the 3x3x3 tutorial very good, especially the first part up to the white cross as it can get you started in an easy and relaxed way. I also found the corner solution very tricky but had to watch it several times until I got it. Chapeau! Part II of the tutorial is equally good but being a beginner I'll have to watch it several times several times. Actually, I cannot follow all the moves immediately and I started to write down most of the sequences in order to repeat and routinize them.
So I subscribe to what you suggest - for me, a slower, step by step demonstration, and a written notation, would have worked very well. However, I find the tutorial great as it really sees you through the first stages whereas normally all you get are vague hints that you ought to be able to do that "intuitively" - I remember how sick I was of that! I'm sure I'll consult it a number of times during the next few weeks.
So long,
Elisabeth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:22 pm 

Thanks. My mission is complete. I intended to help at least one person. I am content now.

I'm sure I will record another version in the future. Maybe I'll take the best parts of this one, or maybe I'll reuse the ideas, but use a cube with clearer sides, and try and make the yellow cross orientation easier (I think that's the hardest part of the vid)

For now, I'm happy.

Please pass on my thanks to Elizabeth for her kind words. :D