Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cubing Competition Idea Revised
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:26 am 

Several months ago I started a topic about having cubing competitions with less rare puzzles http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16861 However, I found that one problem was that people were afraid that one person would always dominate.
So my new idea is this:
Instead of a bi-monthly event, this would be weekly and with only one event, the person who won last weeks event would not be allowed to participate in the next weeks competition.

Alright, this is another idea that might not work but here it goes. If the solving could be on skype over webcam, the results could be judged fairly. The only problem with this of course, is that not everybody has a webcam. However, decent webcams can be purchased extremely inexpensively these days.

What do you guys think? Do you think this idea is feasible?

Post subject: Re: Cubing Competition Idea Revised
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:22 am 

The problem with being on Skype with a webcam is that of time zones. I sit here now at 1:20 pm HK time and see it is 11:20 TP time. (Or maybe that's Chicago :lol: )

The internet and all this tech is wonderful, but there still isn't instant gratification. I sent an email to someone in the UK when I got into the office and then realized I had to wait another 5 to 6 hours for them to wake up so they could answer me.

If you could come up with a 'world accessible time" that might work. :lol: :lol: If not, you are excluding many people who would like to join, but are either working, or sleeping. (why do you all think I got the green name?-Time zones!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:12 am 

I did realize that, my only solution, is to get several volunteers in convenient places across the globe to moderate for their area. If this could happen, I think it would work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:11 am 

Having it all at the same time is hard to manage. Either the person running it in that time zone or so will have to stay on for a long time, or every person will compete at more or less the same time, and will be very hard for the person to watch everyone doing it.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:55 am 

Well, me and 2 other friends could be able to run it from 6 AM to probably 10 or 12 PM with shifts, so it could be possible. That would only leave a few hours without someone online to judge and if we could find another volunteer that could run it during that period it would be perfect!

Anyway, I will definately use the 1 a week or every 2 weeks idea, because that would simplify having 10 different events.

But basically I would like to know whether or not there's interest and if people would be willing to pay 25 cents fee per competition until I can afford to make it free.

So, who here would even compete? (FYI, I will also be posting on speedsolving.com)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:59 am 

Another thing to keep in mind...

Just because webcams are inexpensive, doesn't mean that everybody has new enough computers to use them. Or, that peoples computers run fast enough to use Skype.

f
Will you join the Rebelution?
The teenage rebellion against low expectations.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:49 pm 

So maybe skype would not work. :?
If not, I will use the same video submittal rules but will do it weekly. I think that will clear up some major issues pointed out to me on the Speedsolving forum.