Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My First Post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:10 pm 

Hi,

I wasn't sure how to make an introudction on the forum, so I'd thought I'd cut strait to my questions.

I'm a 14 (soon to be 15) cuber and puzzler, I enjoy all puzzles from the 3x3x3 to the Bedlam Cube. But 3 of my puzzles have recently gotten me stuck badly:

1. Square-1: I can get the puzzle into it's cubic shape if I'm lucky enough to get the tulip shape (rare occurance), I can then position and orient all corner peices, but my luck runs out there. I have no idea how to position and orient the edge pieces.
2. Megaminx: I can solve an origianl 3x3x3 puzzle, but I do not know the F2L method. I do it layer by layer, but I do not know (yet) how to position the bottom corner and middle edge pieces at the same time, and thus, I find solving the megaminx hard.
3. Rubik's 360 - not really sure on WTF I'm supposed to do with that one. SO far, I've gotten A ball into it's correct hole, and thats it.

Post subject: Re: My First Post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:12 pm 

How about posting here? :D

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:26 pm 

Welcome to the forum. As APJ said, you should have posted there, but oh well.

Practise with the Megaminx, you'll get the hang of it shortly. It is just a 12 sided Rubik's Cube. And for the Square-1, well there are plenty of tutorials over YouTube. Hope this helps!

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:46 pm 

I find on the rubiks 360 if i just spin it really hard i get lucky.
my friend has a real strategy. ill ask him sometime this week

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:21 am 

For Megaminx F2L I have one suggestion: learn regular F2L first. Meaning, you should learn and practice it for the 3x3x3. Bob Burton's Page will have all the F2L algorithms you need, unless you want to learn it intuitive. As SEBUVER already said, the Megaminx is just a 12 sided 3x3x3, which means that you have to solve F2L on it several times. Therefore I could argue against my first advise and say that this is the better place to start and learn F2L, but I feel that it's easier to practice and get the hang of it when you don't have all those extra pieces to keep browsing through before you find the pieces you want. And also, some of the algorithms won't be exactly the same due to the extra pieces.

EDIT: I almost forgot: welcome to the forum :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:48 pm 

For the square-1, getting it into cube shape, I use one of the methods on jaap's page. http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/square1.htm#s1m3

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:17 am 

I suppose you need help with the last layer of the Megaminx?
This is the way I do it.
Orient edges with FURU'R'F' and FRUR'U'F multiple times. Then permute those edges with the Sune (RUR'URU2R') multiple times as well to get them. Then orient two corners at a time (simple commutator) and the you will need to know how to convert your 3-corner cycle, from your 3x3x3 cube to the megaminx puzzle, to solve those corners and finish the puzzle.

Good luck!

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:25 pm 

Doubleyou wrote:
This is the way I do it.
Orient edges with FURU'R'F' and FRUR'U'F multiple times. Then permute those edges with the Sune (RUR'URU2R') multiple times as well to get them. Then orient two corners at a time (simple commutator) and the you will need to know how to convert your 3-corner cycle, from your 3x3x3 cube to the megaminx puzzle, to solve those corners and finish the puzzle.

Good luck!

I've never thought to do it that way, TBH. Going to play with my megaminx now.

EDIT: LOL, I was stuck with all my corners in place and the edges mixed up, but I did a U' and now all the edges are right and the corners need moved. >:( I suck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:11 pm 

theVDude wrote:
I was stuck with all my corners in place and the edges mixed up, but I did a U' and now all the edges are right and the corners need moved. >:( I suck!
For corner orientation I like this (3,1) commutator:

U' L' U
R
U' L U
R'

To do this on the Megaminx, you can't really do this using R moves, you have to use the face to the right of the R face. I have no idea how to notate it, as I don't know dodecahedra notation at all. But hopefully you understood what I meant? Note that this is only for corner orientation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:52 am 

Katten wrote:
theVDude wrote:
I was stuck with all my corners in place and the edges mixed up, but I did a U' and now all the edges are right and the corners need moved. >:( I suck!
For corner orientation I like this (3,1) commutator:

U' L' U
R
U' L U
R'

To do this on the Megaminx, you can't really do this using R moves, you have to use the face to the right of the R face. I have no idea how to notate it, as I don't know dodecahedra notation at all. But hopefully you understood what I meant? Note that this is only for corner orientation.

Yeah, they just needed permutated, and that's easy enough. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:11 am 

Did I just write orientation? I meant permutation! The cycle I shared places the corners in their correct places, in other words permutation. Unless I for some reason just lost my brains and this is all backwards? :lol: For orientation I use R U R´U´.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:01 am 

Doubleyou wrote:
This is the way I do it.

Good luck!

it's actualy every layer EXCEPT the last one :) I can get the first 2-3 + 3-4 extra sides done, but then I'm screwed.

Oh, and I finally solved the square-1 from memory

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:33 pm 

For the square-1 I used kippy33's tutorial on YouTube. If you just want to be able to learn some algorithms, and you aren't hung up on trying to do it completely by yourself, the tutorial is pretty decent (though I didn't use any others so I can't compare). :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:26 am 

I originally watched Thrawst's tutorial on how to solve the Square-1, which is great for beginners. Then when I wanted to get faster, I followed the tutorial on LanceTheBlueKnight's website. I'm not sure if his website is still up.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:53 am 

willhu12 wrote:
Doubleyou wrote:
This is the way I do it.

Good luck!

it's actualy every layer EXCEPT the last one :) I can get the first 2-3 + 3-4 extra sides done, but then I'm screwed.

Oh, and I finally solved the square-1 from memory

ok, then I want to say: keep at it and work it out youself ;)

if you really need help then read this:

Finished groups of pieces from the first "F2L" can be moved momentarily further "up" the megaminx layers (one slice spun one or two moves), to make it easier to insert the next piece. Then move the group back. (It can be easier if you make "another" cross again, extending from the finished "F2L layer".
I hope you understand what I mean. And that it helps you :)

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel