Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: most entertaining puzzles?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:39 pm 

Hello everybody,
this is the first topic I have posted in awhile, so hello again to you all!
Lately I have gotten into puzzle solving alot more, and have found that the more entertaining puzzles for me are the puzzles that take a long amount of time, but not just because the steps take forever, like on the 7x7x7 or teraminx, but the puzzles that have a large number of different steps, that must be figured out.

So, I ask you forum, what are some of the most entertaining puzzles/types of puzzles that you've played with, either on gelatinbrain or in the form of a physical puzzle, and what puzzles do you think could be made in the future that would be even more fun to solve?

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

Post subject: Re: most entertaining puzzles?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:44 pm 

My favorite puzzle is my cross cube.

My other favorite ones to solve are my 3x3x3, four layer square one, 4x4x4 with a partial twist, and my edges only void cube.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:36 pm 

I got a Crazy 4x4x4 II a week and a half ago, and I find it very entertaining. It is challenging. Although I have solved it several times, I am still very much in the getting acquainted stage of the relationship.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:41 pm 

In my opinion, the best puzzle for solving is the Perplexus :lol: . It's difficult to put down. In terms of Twisty Puzzles, Crazy 4x4 II.

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:46 pm 

quicksolver wrote:
In my opinion, the best puzzle for solving is the Perplexus :lol: . It's difficult to put down. In terms of Twisty Puzzles, Crazy 4x4 II.

I love the PERPLEXUS BALL! My favorite twisty puzzle is my crystal pyraminx. Not to easy, not to hard.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:24 pm 

sounds like the crazy 4x4 II is a good puzzle choice on my next to buy list

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:25 pm 

I realy enjoy my 4x4 octahedron, Its one of the few puzzle I have that causes me to think rather than to just run algorithms.

My Shapeways shop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:51 pm 

elijah wrote:
what are some of the most entertaining puzzles/types of puzzles that you've played with [...]
I am having a lot of fun with my Anisotropic Cube. I cannot solve it, but occasionally I manage to get it back to cubic again, which feels quite rewarding to a non-solver like me.

Oskar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:00 pm 

I'm surprised that you do not just spend all day learning to solve your various puzzles, oskar, there's so many brilliant puzzles that I know I would have weeks of fun with! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:47 am 

My favorite puzzle at the time is on Gelatin Brain, the edge-turning Pyraminx. I think it's a lot of fun solving, though not particularly challenging.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:48 am 

professor pyraminx. reduction on this one is not easy :( :)

ok I have had this puzzle for a while and every time I picked it up I got lost some way. Just now I sat down and made myself stay at it. And I solved it!! I am so glad now! It turns out it wasn't that hard to reduce after all.

An entertaining puzzle for me is one that is hard and I cant emediatly solve, so yea I wanna change my "most entertaining puzzle" to my Dino Skewb (which I havent solved yet!) :D until later today, when I will recieve another TomZ master piece, the 3x4x5 cuboid, wich I expect to be really hard!

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:30 am 

My favourites are changing from time to time: Currently I would say, that the Latch Cube is consuming most of my puzzle time. I find it interesting, that the first phase (solving the edges) is a new challenge for me after each scramble.
When I have not played with a specific puzzle for a while and I revisit it, without looking up any of my earlier notes, this can provide a new challenge and will be a lot of fun again.
Using my personal definition of a "challenge" I'm counting 128 different challenges looking at the 275 puzzles I own today.
(I count easier variants of the same type of puzzle as a different challenge. E.g. all cubes from 2x2x2 to 7x7x7 are counted as six challenges. Somebody could argue that is one challenge only, because the strategy for a 4x4x4 can solve all of them. That's why I say "personal" definition.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:34 am 

I like playing around with the jumbling on my helicopter cube, so I would maybe pick that. Also, although I only did it once, blindsolving my golden cube (no inspection, just by shape) was pretty fun too. I'm sure Gelatinbrain has lots of fun puzzles, but I haven't solved many.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:41 am 

Actually, I want to add another puzzle from Gelatin Brain, that I just solved: the SuperX. It may even be my new favorite.
bobthegiraffemonkey wrote:
I'm sure Gelatinbrain has lots of fun puzzles, but I haven't solved many.
I can verify that, though I've only solved 29 of them I've spent quite a bit of time on puzzles there and had a ton of fun along the way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:45 pm 

For me the most entertaining from a twisty-puzzle perspective is the Crazy 4x4x4 II. Those virtual face centers (I like to think of them as "holographic" pieces) are a real brain twister.

From a mechanical genius perspective I like turning the Gear Cube even though it's absurdly easy to solve.

On a computer I find the Pentultimate and Master Brilic/Master Pyraminx Crystal to be the most entertaining.