Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trajber 4x4x4 help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:25 am 

I just got a Trajber 4x4x4 octahedron and I'm having a bit of trouble with the "last layer." When I use certain algorithms like the 3 corner switcher, I notice that some of the centers are rotating. Since each center has 4 colors this is throwing everything off. I thought I could resolve the issue like on a fisher cube but I'm still having issues. Can anyone please help me?

Post subject: Re: Trajber 4x4x4 help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:42 pm 

Do you know a 3-cycle for the centers of a 4x4x4 cube that does not affect anything else?

On page 5 of the booklet that loads on this page it has the one I use. I have used this method successfully to do the Trajber 4x4x4 Octahedron.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:53 pm 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:14 pm 

You might want to try solving it color-by-color next time. Then you can do 2x2 moves to rotate individual faces as you need to. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:52 pm 

I've tried these techniques to solve in the past and it's worked. However, I've come across a new case. Everything is solved, except ONE center is rotated 90 degrees. All fisher cube and 4x4x4 supercube algorithms I've used have not worked, because they only work when two are rotated 90 degrees.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:47 am 

I find it much less confusing solving it face by face. Especially, because there is no standard colour scheme of the 8 colours relatively to each other.

You may have a look here.
If you solve it as a 4x4x4 you need to handle it as a 4x4x4 supercube!
In case of your problem, where you need a 90 degree turn of 4 centres, you can do that turn and rearrange edges and corners of the 4x4x4.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:58 pm 

I've never been able to wrap my mind around solving the faces individually. After all, since there's no standard color scheme I'm basically doing that when I solve it like a 4x4x4.

So you're saying that rather than one center being wrong, there are 4 others that are actually wrong? How do I know which four?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:26 am 

pianomancuber wrote:
I've never been able to wrap my mind around solving the faces individually. After all, since there's no standard color scheme I'm basically doing that when I solve it like a 4x4x4.

So you're saying that rather than one center being wrong, there are 4 others that are actually wrong? How do I know which four?
Maybe, a picture would help that shows the exact situation?
You wrote earlier:
pianomancuber wrote:
I've tried these techniques to solve in the past and it's worked. However, I've come across a new case. Everything is solved, except ONE center is rotated 90 degrees. All fisher cube and 4x4x4 supercube algorithms I've used have not worked, because they only work when two are rotated 90 degrees.
I understood:
- ONE center means a centre of the 4x4x4 consisting of FOUR centre pieces (tips of the Octahedron). (I do not see a different interpretation of your sentence.)
- If you turn those 4 centre tips( 4 centre pieces building the centre of a face on the 4x4) of the Octahedron by 90 degrees all 4 centre are solved, right?

If my understanding was correct, just do that and afterwards put the edges (trapezoids) and corners (little triangles) of the 4x4 back to their destination.

Obviously, there are other solutions as well, but this is the easiest to describe.
IF i have understood your description correctly, that is!

Still, I believe strongly that solving it face by face is much easier. You just need two commutators (see this other thread), easy to understand and easy to be memorized.
Afterwards, you handle it as a 2x2 and can produce any colour scheme you like.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:34 am 

Ah! Yes, I understand. That is indeed what I meant. I tried to do that, but I think I need to find some different algorithms than simple Fridrich 3x3x3 LL ones, because whenever I've tried this that center always ends up flipped again! I'll certainly go over that thread again and search for any other Trajber-specific LL algs I can find. Thanks!