Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to solve Circle Cubes and Megaminx - e.g. Dayan's Cr
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:02 pm 

Welcome Oxy :D ,

I will make a list of the order in which I would recommend solving these puzzles for people starting out (to grow your knowledge), rather than a list of `difficulties`, which we have done in the past.
For the reduction method I think it is essential for people stating out to recognise that there are 2 distinct groups. I will put a (C) for `reduce to circle cube` and a (RC) for `reduce to Rubiks cube`, (for what I do, not for what others do, or what it is possible to do).

3x3 Planets

For the Reduction method (which I think is the preferred method):
Jupiter(RC) > Uranus(RC) > Mercury(C) > Neptune(C>RC) > Earth(C>RC) > Saturn (RC)> Mars(RC) > Venus(C)

For the CCL method (I can’t imagine doing Jupiter or Uranus by CCL so..):
Mercury > Venus > Earth > Neptune > Mars > Saturn

Megaminx Planets

Reduction method:
Easier: Jupiter(N) > Mercury(C) > Venus(C) > Uranus(RC) (If you can solve the 3x3 planets with reduction these are a snack and you can skip them- although Uranus is fun).
Challenging: Saturn(C>RC) > Earth(C) > Mars(C) > Neptune(RC)

As for which correlating puzzle to buy in the 3x3s it would be obvious to start with Jupiter and Mercury, like you have. As for the Minx, one of the Earth / Uranus, Mars / Neptune or Jupiter / Mercury pairs would be a good combo to get. The Saturn Minx is a nice place to start (but it does not have a matching opposite puzzle). ALL of the 3x3 planets are `worth it` :wink: , they all have a unique personality.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

Last edited by Burgo on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:29 pm 

oxymoronicuber wrote:
and also for making me feel less crazy for loving Crazies :)

Hello and welcome oxymoronicuber,

Fortunately for you, there are many excellent tutorials on YouTube, including ones by Burgo, rline and Andrea. See one of my earlier posts for some links. When using reduction, knowing the edges first method would be a good place to start. Burgo demonstrates it well for the reduction approach. My 2 favourite 3x3s are Venus and Saturn because I follow Burgo's approach and he finishes solving both using a domino cube approach.

Although I have started working on other puzzles, I still return to both the crazy cubes and megaminx series because just when I thought I was out they pulled me back in.

Enjoy the ride!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:00 am 

Hi oxymoronicuber and all together,

the fun is that each Crazy planet looks like the other but is very different in it's functionality.
The extreme all faces bandaged = Rubiks Cube.
The other extreme all faces = unbandaged = Rubiks Cube , too. ( with marked centers) It exists videos on You Tube how to make circle cubes. The easiest way is get a waterproofed pen and mark the centers of a Rubiks Cube the functionality is like a circle cube.
All circle edges are in orbits, all triangle are unseparable to it's edges.

To lern the funktionality the easiest with one unbandaged face is jupiter, to learn pair pieces and build blocks.
With the second the Mercury you can learn to pair edges with circle corners with Burgos excellent method.

Mercury and Venus can be solved with Burgos method. All other Crazy Planets can bee solved with pairing corners with circle corners.

There are some techniques. By example ending with to bandaged faces and one unbandaged face and pair the last edges. ( Mars, Saturn, Earth)
All cubes excluded mercury and venus can go in this endgame.

All this techniques are possible with Crazy Cube Earth.
This one Cube is solvable with Burgos method and with corner triangle pairing. ( My video)
So if you can solve Crazy Earth with two methods you can solve all other.

But Earth is most difficult cube , I think.
The megaminxes are much more difficult. First I recommend cubes.

I recommend rlines and Konrad's methods, too. First inner crosses , corners and triangles at end.
Much fun with Crazy Cubes and Megaminxes Planets.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:29 pm 

Thanks for the welcome :)
Burgo:
That list is great. I do Mercury with CCL, so will bend my mind round reduction for Jupiter before cannibalising it for other planets, working up to Andrea's "challenge" of Earth solved by both methods!
I think I will hold off of the mega's for a while but probably go for the Earth/Uranus.
ft38:
I have been through at least 10 tutorials for planets so far, and I only have Mercury :shock: . They have all been really well made and get the method over so clearly, that they are a pleasure to watch.
I really agree with your last remark as well. I have NxN's a megaminx and a Gigaminx as well as some other twisty's, but it is the crazy that I carry around. (Although I am trying to master the Master Skewb at the moment. :) )
Andrea:
Thanks for your advice too. As I said earlier, I shall walk before I run!

So what are you going onto now. Tetras or waiting for Octahedrons?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:39 pm 

Hi Planet ears, uhum Planeteers,

I have been making this tutorial for a while now, hope you enjoy it:

Neptune Megaminx Tutorial
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_nzhknvurg
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YZBoc0OppI

Next stop Mars. Also, if you weren’t aware, I have added a part 4 to the Earth Minx tutorial, with a slightly improved method (that goes for about 5 mins). And speaking of Earth, don’t forget that when you attach the CCs to outer edges on a `circle cube reduction` you are actually doing a 3 cycle (not a direct swap). If you are clever, and there is opportunity, you can setup to place the CC you intend to exchange out as well (by doing a setup move onto the bandaged face with a target position at the beginning) 8-) . This can be a benefit on occasions, but if you hunt for it continually it will just slow you down, or worse, cause setup nightmares.

Cheers,
Burgo.

1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 am 

Hi Circle Cubers,

Just checking in, over the last few weeks I have been having a bit of cubing fun, so I will share some of it:

I have had a bit of a dig on Bo Hu’s Sim and I would encourage you to have a go too. I solved a number of 4x4 and 5x5 circle cubes, well, pretty much all of them. Here is a small selection to whet your appetite:

I started to move on to some of the higher order planet cubes, but there is no save function presently so it makes it difficult to achieve.

Also I solved a few puzzles on Gelatinbrain, the notable ones to mention here were the circle 2x2s. I wish someone would mass produce those.. brilliant fun. And I had always wanted to solve a Master Brillic so I gave that a crack.

Also, over the past few days Rline and I have been working away in the background on the Crazy Tets, comparing notes and such. So far we have reduction solutions for Jupiter, Mercury and Mars, based on the same methods for the 3x3 and Minx planets. But I think I am going to stop at those 3 for a break, other things in my life are calling me. I just wanted to whet your appetites :D .

Cheers,
Burgo.

Attachments:
5x5 Circle Cube Solve 3.jpg
5x5 Circle Cube Solve 3.jpg [ 147.76 KiB | Viewed 5317 times ]
5x5 Circle Cube Solve 2.jpg
5x5 Circle Cube Solve 2.jpg [ 133.28 KiB | Viewed 5317 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:48 pm 

Reduction Methods for Standard, Jupiter, Mercury and Mars Crazy Tetrahedrons
I think it is obvious that this is a *SPOILER* if you don’t want to read on..

Tetrahedron Notation:

There are 2 ways to look at a Tetrahedron `face turning` and `vertex turning`. For face turning we will hold the Tet elevated with a U face and a tip on that face pointing towards us: we will then have URF & B faces to turn, and D will be a vertex turn of the lower tip. For Vertex turning we will imagine the Tet sitting flat on a table with an F face: we will then have RLU & B corners to turn, and D will be a face turn of the lower layer.

When I am talking about Parity, I am talking about the situation where at the end of the solve you may end up with one corner placed and 3 unplaced, this is an impossible situation to fix at this stage, so it must be addressed earlier in the solve. It is caused by an incorrect placement of the inner edges (which is a centre reorientation).There are a number of ways we can fix or avoid it.

If I say EPS I mean either (R'LRL') or (LR'L'R) sequences, and CC= inner corners.

Tetrahedron Standard Method 1 (vertex turning):

Rotate 3 (white) outer corners until 3 same coloured stickers are on the first face and make this face D
Place the corresponding (white) outer edges- RU'R' or L'UL sequences
Rotate outer edges in U tip with Sune: RUR'URUR'
Flip 2 outer edges in U + F positions (R'LRL') (UL'U'L)
Switch 2 + 2 centres in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3
To place inner edges (Orientate Centres): Place a double unsolved outer edge in the FD position, with the matching inner edge for the F centre in either RD or LD.
Do a D or D’ turn to place that inner edge under its matching centre.
(R'LRL')x3 [Do a D or D’ turn to return the D face] (R'LRL')x3

Tetrahedron Standard Method 2 (face turning):

Place inner edges
Solve (white) face outer edges with setup moves and (R'LRL') or (LR’L’R)
Solve the 3 remaining outer edges with (R'LRL') or (LR’L’R)
Switch 2 + 2 corners in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3
{Alternative 1} Orientate 2 corners with: [(R'LRL')x3 D (R'LRL')x3 D’] for F & D corners.
{Alternative 2} Orientate 2 corners with: [(L'RLR')x2 U' (RL'R'L)x2 U] for LB & F corners.
[Mirror (RL'R'L)2 U (L'RLR')2 U'] Orientates RB & F corners.
NB: The sequence for orientating 3 corners in the U layer is [(RL'R'L)x2 U]x3

Jupiter Tetrahedron (face turning) Reduce to Standard Cube:

1) Reduce inner and outer edges with the white face as U. Turn un-made edges onto U and turn them into each other.
2) Solve the 3 white edges and keep them in position for corner reduction.
3) The corners should now be opposing [solvable with a 2 + 2 swap] or all placed (relative to the solved edges). If they are not (if 1 is placed and 3 are unplaced), they will be in parity later. If you find it difficult to position them them intuitively, you can rotate 3 and keep 1 stationary with: (Any orientation other than where U is unbandaged) Rotate 3 corners on L face (R U R U')x2. You can switch out corners (2 + 2 swap) in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3 if you like (to help visualize it).
4) Reduce inner and outer corners with the white face as U. Turn unmade corners onto U and turn them into each other.
Target corner position in the U face in the F position, target corner piece in the D tip with its target side facing on the B face: (R’LRL’)3 [conserves the 2 back corners facing up. It switches them, but conserves their orientation].
Or perform this orientation sequence without turning the unbandaged face: Orientate 2 corners with: [(L'RLR')x2 U' (RL'R'L)x2 U] for LB & F corners.
5)Check the final arrangement of the corners in a (2 + 2 opposites pattern). In order to not disrupt CCs you will need to perform the corner 3 cycle algo with R & U as bandaged faces (a setup move may be needed).
6) Solve remaining 3 edges with EPS sequences (RL'R'L)etc. [avoid unbandaged face]
7) Switch 2 + 2 opposite corners with: (R’LRL’)3 [avoid unbandaged face] and orientate them with [avoid unbandaged face]:
Orientate 2 corners with: [(L'RLR')x2 U' (RL'R'L)x2 U] for LB & F corners.
[Mirror (RL'R'L)2 U (L'RLR')2 U'] Orientates RB & F corners.
Orientate 3 corners in the U layer [(RL'R'L)x2 U]x3

Mercury Tetrahedron (face turning) Reduce to Circle Cube:

1) Twist the corners into their correct position or you may get parity later (orientation is not necessary).
2) Make the Orange `bandaged face` the U face.
3) Place inner edges like the 3x3 Mercury (remember all U row inner edges are unexchangeable). You will not disturb the outer corners from `their non-parity situation` if you restrict yourself to: up, replace, down sequences to solve the inner edges.
This is the simplest way to avoid parity on Mercury. If you have made a mistake and the corners are out of (2 + 2 swappable) you can do a R turn and fix 3 inner edges to repair corners. Alternatively you could fix the parity later with the corner 3 cycle algo: rotate 3 corners on L face, make U & R unbandaged to not upset CCs and perform (R U R U')x2, you may need to apply it twice.
4) Solve the 3 CCs in the lower tip. Put the lower tip outer edges in `backwards` or `flipped` (with EPS sequences), you only need to do 1 at a time, and you don’t need any other edges placed at this time. Put the outer edge in upside down, turn it’s correct coloured CC onto it with a U turn, and then `flip it in correctly` and leave it there. Do the next one.
5) The orange CCs attach to the other (top) end of the lower edges. They will just `be done` if I do all the rest of the U `row` outer edges and CCs (row= the U layer excluding the U face). They are `leftovers`.
6) Attach 6 correct CCs to 3 orange outer edges (using EPS sequences and U turns). It's not so hard to keep track of them because there's only 3 outer edges, but restricted space creates a challenge. You are doing the same thing as for the previous edges, but accounting for your U turns (made edge/CC relationships should be stored in the U layer (orientation irrelevant). EDIT: I have found that targeting `same coloured CCs` is easier than completing edges or using available CCs. It is visually easier to keep track of and helps to set up for a simpler situation for the last 2 CCs.
7) The last edge/few CCs. On the last edge you have to remember that, even what appears to be a swap of 1 CC for another, is actually a 3 cycle of CCs. You also may need to break the `format` visually (displace a few edges in the lower tip) to complete what you need to do, especially on the `last 3 cycle (CC swap)`: Here I include 2 same coloured CCs on the U layer (to switch 2 same colours and place the last one).
8) Last (your Tet is reduced, but) you have to realign the U layer I/S edges, but you have to do it with 3 same coloured CCs in the U layer. Use EPS sequences, and if necessary setup/restores to achieve this. Just remember that you don't have to use orange CCs to do it, you can use any available colour as long as you have 3 `same coloured CCs`.
9) Avoid turning the orange face from now on or you will displace CCs.
10) Solve orange outer edges with EPS and setups. Then solve lower 3 with EPS
11) Switch 2 + 2 corners in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3
12) Orientate 2 corners with: [(L'RLR')x2 U' (RL'R'L)x2 U] for LB & F corners.

Mars Tetrahedron (face turning) Reduce to Standard Cube:

1) Reduce (solve) the first 4 inner edges. You need to solve yellow and white inner edges in the rows under the bandaged faces first. Begin with one row (yellow & white) and then make the other row the top row. To do the other row, insert one of the others on the wrong centre, place the other in the corresponding position on the U layer (with a `setup, up, replace, down` EPS sequence) and slide them around into place. Alternatively you can also use (R U R U')x2 with an unbandaged face as U and your last bandaged face as R: to cycle 3 inner edges around R, and place your last inner edge.
2) The remaining inner edges (the other 2 yellow & white + all the orange & blue) can be solved with setup, up, replace, down EPS sequences like Mercury. (NB Before you do them, you should be able to remove corner parity by rotating the corners into position with the unbandaged faces).
3) Solve the outer edges with [EPS sequences on unbandaged faces] and [setup/restore moves that may include bandaged faces] taking care not to displace inner edges.
4) Pair CCs to Outer Corners by using orientation sequences: Orientate 2 corners, on BL & BR with [bandaged faces as U & R] and perform: R [(RURU')x2] R' Y [(L'U'L'U)x2] Y'. And corner switching sequences: 2 + 2 corners in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3. (Along with appropriate setup and restore moves). Combined with U turns of a chosen unbandaged face, eg the white face, to build corners.
5) Place corners with [bandaged faces as R & L] and perform: Switch 2 + 2 corners in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3, setup moves if needed. And use: (R U R U')x2 [bandaged faces as U & R] where a 3 cycle of corners on the L face is needed.
6) Orientate 2 corners, on D & BL with [bandaged faces as U & R] and perform: R [(RURU')x2] R' Y [(L'U'L'U)x2] Y'.

Mars Tetrahedron (face turning) Reduce to Circle Cube:

1) Reduce (solve) the first 4 inner edges. You need to solve yellow and white inner edges in the rows under the bandaged faces first. Begin with one row (yellow & white) and then make the other row the top row. To do the other row, insert one of the others on the wrong centre, place the other in the corresponding position on the U layer (with a `setup, up, replace, down` EPS sequence) and slide them around into place. Alternatively you can also use (R U R U')x2 with an unbandaged face as U and your last bandaged face as R: to cycle 3 inner edges around R, and place your last inner edge.
2) The remaining inner edges (the other 2 yellow & white + all the orange & blue) can be solved with setup, up, replace, down EPS sequences like Mercury. (NB Before you do them, you should be able to remove corner parity by rotating the corners into position with the unbandaged faces).
3) Solve the outer edges with [EPS sequences on unbandaged faces] and [setup/restore moves that may include bandaged faces] taking care not to displace inner edges.
4) Solve the potential parity situation (check for 1 corner placed and 3 unplaced). You can rotate 3 corners on the L face with: (U=bandaged R=unbandaged): (R U R U')x2.
5) Solve the yellow and white CCs on the orange/blue outer edge. Hold the 2 unbandaged faces as R & L, insert it into `that` unbandaged front edge position (using EPS sequences), turn the CC on, remove it with EPS, etc. Once the CCs are attached re-solve it. (You can do it another way but I find this easier).
6a) Next we will solve the 6 CCs in the 2 front outer corners(the other yellow & white CCs), and anticipate how we can finish with all of the blue and orange CCs solved too. We will be inverting the Tet upside down and back (so that the U layer will alternatively be orange or blue) depending on our needs.
6b) Therefore we will use EPS on the 2 outer edges on the current U layer, and the front edge. This will flip 2 edges and preserve the orientation of the other (but move them all- and their attached CCs will move with them). So we can target CCs we would like to exchange (they are the 2 on the target corner’s edges that are involved in the first downward turn- and always the one on the U face). And we can store the CC we would like to place onto one of the flipped edges under the edge that doesn’t flip (it is the edge that will not be involved in the first downward turn).
6c) Our sequence will be: Do the D layer setup to store/retain our desired CCs, perform EPS, turn D to attach our desired arrangement, and then undo the EPS, and finally return the D layer.
7) The last 3 CCs in the last outer corner. OK, so it is not a switch, but a 3 cycle, and this will really start to become evident during the last few in which you will have to set up the final corner to be: Cycle 1) One of the R or L CCs is correct. Cycle 2) Load the other one with a D face CC. Cycle 3) Load the U CC with the one that belongs in the incorrect R or L position. Cycle 4) Store the unplaced CC in the D layer and then complete the final EPS cycle.
8) Place corners with [unbandaged faces as R & L] and perform: Switch 2 + 2 corners in [F/D + RB/LB] with (R'LRL')x3, setup moves if needed.
9) Orientate 3 corners on L face with U & R faces unbandaged: (R U R U')x6.
Orientate 2 corners, on BL & BR with U & R faces unbandaged: R [(RURU')x2] R' Y [(L'U'L'U)x2] Y'.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PS See how you go, this document may need a few edits and I hope you don't mind the long post. I’m interested to hear feedback.

Last edited by Burgo on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:02 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:36 am 

Hi Crazies.
Just a little update - I am sooo far behind you guys but:
Got Jupiter 3x3 on Monday and have solved it about 15-20 times now. Very simple, but as you said Burgo, it does have character. I have enjoyed it, but am now going to try Uranus.

Slightly off topic, I also got a Curvy Copter (TomZ of course), and I love it. I have purposely NOT looked for solutions and worked out moves to fix faces, corners etc myself. It has been very satisfying even though the puzzle is relatively simple!

I shall attempt to do this for Uranus now - and then look at the tutorials!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:51 am 

I have a Jupiter and Mercury Crazy Tetrahedron. Does anyone have an algo for cycling the inner circle corners? I tried corner reduction on the Jupiter bit I really didn't like that method-it's just not for me. Any help would be appreciated(spoiler algos welcome)! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:11 pm 

77mouser wrote:
I have a Jupiter and Mercury Crazy Tetrahedron. Does anyone have an algo for cycling the inner circle corners? I tried corner reduction on the Jupiter bit I really didn't like that method-it's just not for me. Any help would be appreciated(spoiler algos welcome)! :)

I don't have an algo per se (I looked for one initially) but jupiter is very nice to solve by reduction. If you want I can make a rough video and youtube it to show you how I do it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:17 pm 

@Oxymoronicuber: Congratulations on your purchases, they are getting rarer.

@77Mouser: The corner cycling algos are in the early posts, Konrad's are on page 2 (3 posts from the bottom), Mine are on page 3 (18 posts from the top). You will be able to take CC (Circle Corner) last methods from current tutorials by just ignoring the CC reduction and applying the algos on those diagrams as a last stage.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:02 pm 

@Burgo - I tried about 8 shops (some good some bad :shock: ) to find a Jupiter, but CubeDepot had that and TomZ Curvy too, so it worked out really well.

Actually worked out algs for the Curvy Copter and enjoy solving it a lot. Might even put them up!

Thanks, Burgo, for your tutotorials! I went for the Earth/Uranus conversion and then tried the Earth -and then went straight to Youtube! It's the little things like where to put the 2 bandaged sides "out of the way" that thwart me. Won't put me off though.

Lots more variants to play with whilst saving up for new mf8 puzzles coming!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:48 pm 

Burgo wrote:
...@77Mouser: The corner cycling algos are in the early posts, Konrad's are on page 2 (3 posts from the bottom), Mine are on page 3 (18 posts from the top). You will be able to take CC (Circle Corner) last methods from current tutorials by just ignoring the CC reduction and applying the algos on those diagrams as a last stage.

Cheers,
Burgo.
Burgo, 77mouser asked for a Crazy Tetrahedron CC sequence (I will never use the word algo again :lol: ) I do not see how my Crazy 3x3x3 Plus sequences can help him.
I see very long sequences for the Jupiter Tetra only.
Reduction is much easier.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:14 pm 

I have a couple of questions:

I came up with these 2 Tetrahedron algos (now we’re stuck with it :lol: ), so the question is.. Is there a better one for the first one? And: Can anyone see if there is a better sequence for the second one? (Because it is an 80 move sequence if 2 corners need orientating). At least it's easy to remember.

1) All Tetrahedrons:
Rotates 3 corners around a face without disturbing edges: [R’URU’ RUR U’R’] Can be used on the Tets except with an unbandaged face as U.

2) Mars Tet:
Orientates 3 corners, on R face with [unbandaged faces as R & L] and perform: [(RL’R’L)x3 U’]x3.
Orientates 2 corners, on BL & F with [unbandaged faces as R & L] and perform: [(RL’R’L)x3 U’]x3 R [(L’RLR’)x3 U]x3 R’.

Actually, the reason I went with reducing Mars to a `circle cube` was that I didn't know a corner orientation alg for the situation of `2 bandaged faces`, but now I have one: [R' (R'URU' RUR U'R') R] Y [LU'L'U L'U'L' UL] Y' orientates 2 corners on D & BL. So I can't see anything precluding reducing it to a `standard cube`. It might just be better to do that? EDIT: I just put the method on the post^^ :D It is the better method.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:03 pm 

Hi Burgo,

thanks for sharing all of this. :D I can not add much.
Here come 5 sequences (the first two just visualize your corner orientation sequences):

Number 3 swaps 2 - 2 corners by 10 moves
Number 4 flips edge RL, keeps the other edges in the lower tip unflipped, keeps the orange edges in U layer.
EDIT: I use this sequence for joining pieces with CCs. I describe it here, because the restricted storage space makes it hard setting the pieces up for CC joining.
Number 5 is a clockwise rotation of 3 corners in the L layer (8 moves instead of your 9 moves; not much shorter but pretty regular)
EDIT:
(R U R U' R U R U')x3 is an alternative for orientating 3 corners (only two faces are turned)

Last edited by Konrad on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:49 am 

Hi Konrad,

Thanks for sharing too :D .
1&2 The first 2 corner orientation algs I am using (as you said).
3 The (2 + 2 swap) I have used (R'LRL')x3, it is more moves, but it only uses 2 faces which becomes important with the other Tets that have more restrictions.
4 What are you using this sequence for? For joining CCs to outer edges I think? (but maybe orientating outer edges?)
5 This is a great little sequence, I am going to adopt this.. it makes mine look like a model T Ford! It will orientate also with R [(RURU')x2] R' Y [(L'U'L'U)x2] Y', which is important for the more restricted puzzles.
Your diagrams are excellent as usual. I was a little worried that this conversation might not get going. I have only just started on these puzzles so I consider everything a work in progress.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:48 am 

Burgo wrote:
4 What are you using this sequence for? For joining CCs to outer edges I think? ...Burgo.

Exactly so!
EDIT: BTW, is this your order from easy to difficult: Regular, Jupiter, Mercury, Mars - for those you have described above?
I own the first three only and I'm not sure if I need more Craziness :lol: with all the new puzzles coming.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:02 am 

Mars is really worth getting I think (along with Standard0000, Jupiter and Mercury which you have) those 4 are the `ones to have` if you are limiting your purchases in the series, in my opinion. Mars offers the ability to reduce it to a Standard Cube or a Circle Cube (2 puzzles for the price of 1). As for difficulty, I think as a Standard Cube, Mars may be a bit easier to solve than Mercury (but definately harder to figure out if you're a solver), and as a circle cube it is harder than Mercury, it is fairly tough as a circle cube.

If you are making your own methods, attempt them in the order Standard000, Jupiter, Mercury, Mars.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:31 am 

Hi Crazies,

Is the standard 0000 a good choice to begin ?
My question:
A circle-cube with all centers are (0) unbandaged is like a Rubik's Cube with marked centers ( pictures on it , or so).

Is the standard 0000 tetrahedron analog this a normaly tetrahedron with marked centers ?

Cheers,
Andrea

8 Bermudas and 9 Tets are to much weight for the santa-claus.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:52 am 

Andrea wrote:
Hi Crazies,

Is the standard 0000 a good choice to begin ?
My question:
A circle-cube with all centers are (0) unbandaged is like a Rubik's Cube with marked centers ( pictures on it , or so).

Is the standard 0000 tetrahedron analog this a normaly tetrahedron with marked centers ?

Cheers,
Andrea

8 Bermudas and 9 Tets are to much weight for the santa-claus.

Yes, a Regular Crazy Tetrahedron is equivalent to a Jing's Pyraminx with marked centres.
You can solve it as a Skewb Ultimate as well: The six edges correspond to the six edges of the Skewb Ultimate (which have orientation where the ordinary Skewb does not). 4 centres + 4 corners of the Tet correspond to the 8 corners of the Skewb Ultimate.
Still, some have described the Regular as confusing and have said it depends on your Skewb Ultimate method, if you'll find it easy.
With my current knowledge I would rather have Mars instead of the Regular. :) (I have got Regular, Jupiter and Mercury)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:31 am 

Hi Konrad,

Quote:
4 centres + 4 corners of the Tet correspond to the 8 corners of the Skewb Ultimate.

The Skewb Ultimate ( I don't have) is a dodecahedron shape with skewb functionality ?
A skewb with marked centers ?
The centers have 2 possible orientations like corners on FTO , ok ?
But the centers of crazy tetrahedon have 3 possible orientations.

Quote:
With my current knowledge I would rather have Mars instead of the Regular. :) (I have got Regular, Jupiter and Mercury)

Today,I ordered only Mars and Jupiter tetrahedron. ( and 8 Bermuda Planets) The Standard 0000 is out of production.
I want begin with easy situations and learn more. Perhaps it's posible without the standard 0000.
I prefer cubes in my hands instead of simulations.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:20 am 

Hi Konrad and Andrea,
At first I didn't buy the 0000, but after playing with it on the sim I bought it. I wouldn't recommend it as a difficult crazy puzzle, but I found it quite an interesting puzzle, and interesting enough to buy it :) . I liked how it was solvable as face turning and corner turning with the same method. But if I had to choose: the essential Tetrahedrons are Jupiter, Mercury and Mars.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:42 am 

Andrea wrote:
Hi Konrad,

Quote:
4 centres + 4 corners of the Tet correspond to the 8 corners of the Skewb Ultimate.

The Skewb Ultimate ( I don't have) is a dodecahedron shape with skewb functionality ?
This is a Skewb UltimateImage
6 edges of the Crazy Tet = 6 edges of the Skewb Ultimate (= 6 centres of a normal Skewb + marks)
4 centres + 4 corners of the Crazy Tet = 8 corners of the Skewb Ultimate

As you can seevon my picture the edges (pieces with four stickers) can be distingishably misoriented by 180 °
Andrea wrote:
A skewb with marked centers ?
The centers have 2 possible orientations like corners on FTO , ok ?
But the centers of crazy tetrahedon have 3 possible orientations.

4 centres of the Tet = 4 of the 8 corners on a Skweb (as I had said in my post and you quoted me. :) )

Post subject: Re: How to solve Dayan's Crazy 3x3x3 and Megaminx?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:06 am 

I was playing with my witeden 333 yesterday and today. I managed to solve it once, but not confidently. Tried again today and couldn't make it happen again. Checked on this thread and found schuma's solution below. What a wonderfully straightforward and logical solution! Thanks schuma for posting it. :)

Now to see whether something similar will work for the 334 and 335.

schuma wrote:
Aha, you guys are talking about witeden super 3x3x3. I borrowed it from Brandon last weekend and have solved it. Here's my strategy:

0. Let the two faces (white and yellow) with circles be U and D.

1. Put the yellow circle edge pieces to the yellow face, and the white
circle edge pieces to the white face. Algorithms are quite intuitive,
like [R,F,R'].

2. Solve the middle layer (between U and D). If we need to do an even
permutation, then [R2, F2]x2 is sufficient. If we need to do an odd
permutation on the middle layer edges, then swap two indistinguishable
yellow circle edge pieces at the same time to make the whole process
an even permutation. Algorithm: [L',R], F2, [L,R'], F2,

3. Solve the circle corner pieces, ignoring the orientation.
Algorithm: [F,R',F'],L,[F,R,F'],L', or some variations. In the photo,
the URF corner is considered solved, because it has a yellow circle
corner in it and the whole corner is in the yellow layer. It doesn't
matter the yellow circle corner piece is facing front, because I'm
ignoring the orientation in this step.

4. Solve the orientation of the corner pieces, so that the small
circle pieces are on the top or bottom face. Algorithm: [F,R',F',R]x2,
L,[R',F,R,F']x2, L,

5. Solve the rest pieces just like the top and bottom layers of 4x3x3.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:53 pm 

Konrad:

Yes I quoutes the sentence to unterstand how the 4 centres and corners build the corners of skewb.
Now I understand it.

Because I have no skewb ultimate skewb kite or crazy Tet 0000 I used my normal skewb and marked the centers with small paper stripes. I used some pyraminx sequences to turn the squares 180 degrees.
It works.

rline:

Congratulation solving the witeden super 3x3x3. Do you know Burgos super 3x3x3 solving Method ( YouTube)?
I like it, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:47 pm 

Reply to the posting from Termite
Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:05 am

Hi Michael,

My Crazy Megaminx Earth has the same defekt, now. Same color, same pieces. The inner and outer center are derformed , so they can not separated.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:45 am 

Attachment:
brokencenter.jpg
brokencenter.jpg [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 6632 times ]

:cry: :( :cry: :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:21 am 

Hello, people from Crazy Village,

I don't kow how I can solve my tet jupiter.

Pairing edges with circle edges was ok.
Pairing corners with circle corners was accidentaly.
The rest was random.
Randomly I get this situation:

Two paired edges are flipped. Only the white bottom face is unbandaged.
The easy sequence from Pyraminx to flip 2 edges doesn't work because the circles would destroyed.

Does someone know a sequence ?

Cheers,
Andrea

Attachment:
jupitet.jpg
jupitet.jpg [ 23.48 KiB | Viewed 6594 times ]

secret:
I solved this accidentally, too. My, Tet Jupiter is now solved (accidentally) , I dont know why. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:42 pm 

Hi Andrea,

have you checked Burgo's method?

This is how I do it:
Spoiler ahead, please highlight
[1. reduce edges and corners
2. place all edges and orientate them correctly
If a flip of two edges is required, I do this:
I hold the white 0 (unbandaged) face as U, one tip is pointing at me. The left face turn is L, the right face turn is R. The back face is B
R L' R' L y L' R L R' y' (y is a clockwise turn of the whole puzzle by 60 degrees)
Edges RL and BL are flipped, two pairs of corners are swapped
3. place all four corners. I use a [[1,1],1] commutator R' L R L' B L R' L' R B'
4. Orientate the corners
all four by a 16 move sequence
three or two as in Burgo's method, please, have a look at my diagram above.
My diagram is for a Mercury. Hold the white face as B instead of orange in the Mercury case.
]

Last edited by Konrad on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:23 pm 

Konrad wrote:

No , I didn't. His method is for the Mercury 1000. I use the Jupiter 0111.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:40 pm 

Andrea wrote:
Konrad wrote:

No , I didn't. His method is for the Mercury 1000. I use the Jupiter 0111.

Cheers,
Andrea

Burgo described four: Regular, Mercury, Jupiter and Mars
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17134&p=267445#p267445

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:09 am 

Feel free to comment on that post too Andrea, I was hoping it would spark some discussion, I see it as a work in progress. Maybe a little discussion would enable me to edit it where it is confusing and make it easier to understand?
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:07 am 

Hello Friends,

I can solve the Crazy Tet Jupiter. But if I get the situation posted Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:21 pm I must solve this with intuition.

I put the white fave into the back and use (R L' R' L') x 3. The orientation I solve similat to the skewb corner orientation.

For the Crazy Tet Mars I don't dare to scramble it. I have no idea to solve it. Burgo, I read your posting from Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:48 pm. Perhaps my english is to bad, that it helps me only a little.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:44 am 

For the 2 edges flipped on the Jupiter Tet, I think you might be stuck on the difference between face turning and corner turning. The circles will be destroyed if you are doing corner turning Pyraminx /Jing's Pyraminx sequences. You need to do face turning sequences. 2 edges flipped can be removed by applying EPS on 3 bandaged faces (maybe a setup might be needed, but I solve the 3 edges on the bandaged faces last so no setup is needed for the last 3 edges), then reorientating the cube correctly and then placing them with EPS.

Mars Tet: Well.. you can't solve it if it's solved, go ahead and scramble it, are you a chicken :P :lol: ?

Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:33 am 

Andrea wrote:
Hello Friends,

I can solve the Crazy Tet Jupiter. But if I get the situation posted Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:21 pm I must solve this with intuition.
Did you try the method in my reply? Do you not like it, or was it not clear enough?
I forget about hidden spoiler. (Turns are face turns!)
Andrea wrote:

I put the white fave into the back and use (R L' R' L') x 3. The orientation I solve similat to the skewb corner orientation.
If I interpret this sequence correctly, it is a 2-2 swap of corners, right? Burgo is using this as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:39 am 

Hi Puzzlers,

Burgo wrote:
are you a chicken :P :lol: ?

I hope not, you put me in frying pan ?

Back to Puzzles. I found:

On Tet Jupiter : flipped 2 edges is equivalent to cyclic permutation of 3 corners.
In other words: permuting 3 Corners or fliping 2 Edges is not solveable without turning the white face.

My solution:
Orient the corners that one face is complete white, than make a 60 degrees turn with white face.
Now its solveable.

(edit) I only use face turning, no vertex turning !!!!!

Cheers,
Andrea

Last edited by Andrea on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:49 am 

Hi Konrad,
Thanks for the pictures. Ok. Thats more easy and shorter than my solution. Thanks for share this.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:44 am 

Andrea wrote:
On Tet Jupiter : flipped 2 edges is equivalent to cyclic permutation of 3 corners.
This is not true, as shown by my sequence in the picture above. The 8 moves do a swap of two pairs of corners, which is an even permutation of the corners.
Have you not seen my flipping method in my original response to your question and picture, because it was a hidden spoiler?
When I had seen this kind of hiding a spoiler in the first place I did not understand it as well :)
(My understand was "spoiler" is something on a car :lol: )

The idea is that you have to highlight the text if you really want to read it, but you can abstain from reading if you do not want to spoil the challenge.
As many are reading a post, hidden spoilers are sometimes used.
As we are so few here in Crazy village, we can possibly forget it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:10 am 

Hello Konrad,
I read your text in the spoiler. Ok that works fine.
I see, my posting was wrong. I thought wrong. Thank you for correcting.

Ok swaping 2 eges is solveable without turning the white unbadaged face.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:41 pm 

Hello Crazy Friends,
Yeah, I solved the mars. For turning 2 corners I found an easy sequence U=unbandaged R and L bandaged.

( R L' R' L ) x 3 (R' L R L' ) x 3 turns the right back corner clockwise
( R' L R L' ) x 3 (R L' R' L ) x 3 turns " " " " anticlockwise.

Longer as the sequences here from the experts but easier to memorize.
The direction of first move is the direction of cornerturning !

I'm searching for a sequence to make a clean 3 cycle of corners.

(U R U' R ) x 2 is a 3 cycle, but the pieces change the orientation.
I found no easy sequencs that makes a clean 3 cycle without changing orientation.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:48 pm 

Hi Andrea,
Experts :lol:
I just place them and then orientate them after.
If you want to only orientate 1 corner in U, then orientate it along with the one in D.
Don't forget to also use the useful (R'LRL')x3 (with R & L as bandaged) to effectively switch out only 1 corner. I think about it like: what corner do I want to drop out of U, for example if it is LB do a setup move of R' [(R'LRL')x3] R and LB will go to D and then orientate as needed. Remember, you will only need to be `real specific` like this in the last few CCs. The earlier ones you can just bang a few in and hit a few easy ones.
Cheers,
Burgo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:52 pm 

Hi crazy puzzlers

Just wanted to post a mercury tetrahedron corner circle 3-cycle for the 6 or so of you that are still on this thread. :lol:

robertpauljr came up with it and is happy for me to share it. (Actually, there are quite a few variations; I'll post my variation, which I like most)

Hold with the 1 face on down and faces at front, left and right.

(L' R L R') D' (R L' R' L) D (L' R L R') D (R L' R' L) D'

It cycles circle corners FU->DR->DL (along with outer corners).

I love this sequence because, despite being 20 moves long, it's a simple extension of the EPS from ultimate solution and it's super-easy to remember.

[The mercury tet has been my hardest tet challenge, and this 3-cycle made it nice to solve instead of a dread.]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:58 pm 

My Neptune Tetrahedron solution

[Spoiler ahead...]

0. This is actually difficult to really scramble properly because once you do a turn or two, you're restricted to turning two faces only. My solution seems a bit silly to me, but it works! I'm interested in better ones. The explanation is a bit cumbersome because this puzzle is a bit cumbersome.

1. Solve inner edges. Use EPS (U'RUR' and variants).

a. Either yellow or white first, then the other of these, and finally the orange and blue.

b. When I can't turn a face during the EPS I re-orient one or more of the offending corners on the face by holding blue/orange as left/right and doing L [(LRLR') x 2] L' [(L'R'L'R) x 2] . This orients UBR corner clockwise and D corner anticlockwise. This is a different view of Konrad's/Burgo's R [(RURU')x2] R' Y [(L'U'L'U)x2] Y' mentioned earlier in this thread.

c. Because of the faces, sometimes you might have placed all white/yellow inner edges and find you only need to do a single 3-cycle of outer edges to complete all edges. If so, see number 2.

2. Solve outer edges. Every solve I've found there's only one 3-cycle of outer edges remaining. I don't know if this must be the case or not. Cycle these edges using EPS the same as above.

3. Reduce corners. Same as for Mars. Hold yellow/white as up and blue/orange as left/right. Position corners (R'LRL') x3 and orient corners L [(LRLR') x 2] L' [(L'R'L'R) x 2)] and turn up face to attach CCs to outer corners. If up face needs a turn to re-solve upper layer inner edges, place 3 corners with same colour CCs on up face and then turn.

4. Solve corners. Use same positioning and orienting methods as above.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also,

My Unnamed (0012) Tetrahedron solution

Pretty much the same as above.

Only differences are

* it actually scrambles better, due to having an extra 1 face.
* It was harder to get the inner [and therefore all the] edges done (but not much)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:03 am 

On a subsequent solve of the unnamed 0012 tet (I switched the center piece on the blue face of uranus to make it), I tried it a different way and got to this situation:

Attachment:
DSCF2966.JPG
DSCF2966.JPG [ 55.07 KiB | Viewed 6266 times ]

Attachment:
DSCF2968.JPG
DSCF2968.JPG [ 48.23 KiB | Viewed 6266 times ]

Everything else is solved. I've found this situation on a few puzzles like this. Does anyone know of a way to flip both these edges? It doesn't matter if corners are put out of place. However, I'm restricted to only turning the orange (2) and blue (1) faces, since any turns of other faces will break up the edges/corners. Any algs or pointers appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:41 am 

rline wrote:
Hi crazy puzzlers

robertpauljr came up with it and is happy for me to share it. (Actually, there are quite a few variations; I'll post my variation, which I like most)

Hold with the 1 face on down and faces at front, left and right.

(L' R L R') D' (R L' R' L) D (L' R L R') D (R L' R' L) D'

Thanks to robertpauljr & rline for this tip. I used it and it is super slick. At first it looks complicated but when you break it down it is very simple and easy to remember especially if you are familiar with rline's ultimate solution presentation. Check out his website, it's very good. I'm now studying his crazy 2x3x3 series of tutorials.

Burgo helped me through my first solve of the Mercury tet. Thanks again Burgo!

Next up for me are the Standard Tet and the crazy 3x3x5.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:40 pm 

Hi!
I´ve got Saturn and Uranus tetrahedron and by combine these pieces I can build them all except Earth.
I have solved Earth (for that one I use the simulator by Bo HU), Saturn, Jupiter, Mars , Mercury and Neptune.
I think that Earth is the easiest. Then Saturn And Jupiter wich is pretty the same and not much harder. The real fun begin with Mercury and Mars. I realy enjoy them. Neptun is even a bit harder and is a marathon in cornerorientation.
The situation rline show above with 0012 is familiar for me when I solve Neptune and it´s realy difficult to sort out. I would appreciate if someone could share an solution on that. I will try 0012 soon.

/Andreas Andersson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:32 pm 

Hi Crazies...
Just to say that around lots of long hours at work, I have finally attempted all crazy 3x3's!
Yes, you remember? Three whole sub-species ago, before bermudas, tetras and dodecas?
Anyway, as Burgo said, they all have different flavours, some of which I liked and some I did not.
I found Mars and Saturn way to restrictive - the solve would always be the same trail from start to finish.
The best combination of difficulty too pleasure ratio are Earth and Neptune/Uranus I think, so I will be leaving my crazies in those configurations. Now to do Earth by the different methods (as I promised!)

Question: If I were to buy a Bermuda - (I find myself totally disinterested in the Tetras. Don't know why) - which would be the "best" one. i.e. the one that best fits my criteria above.
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:59 am 

Hi "crazy" Puzzlers,

My Posting from Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:45 pm. The replacement center piece for crazy megaminx earth arrived.

Thank you Calvin Fan. Good service.

It was difficult to assemble. At the inner centerpiece was a bulge. So i must separate the outer piece from inner piece with power. After that I rasped the bulge a little. But put togeter with the new center outer piece I must do a little power. I must assemble the megaminx in that configuration.
To transform is now badly possible.
But it works.
The earth ist the most difficult crazy megaminx. I enjoy that it works again.

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:43 am 

Hi Konrad, Burgo and all other "crazy" Cubers,

I cannot buy all puzzles, but I would get one more with circles. Cubes with circles are more difficult than Bermudas, I think.
What about series from Witeden?

Konrad, you wrote that the roadblock puzzle are easy. Ok it's a interesting way to orientate centers.
I own no witeden super 3x3x5 cube. Perhaps the Witeden 3x3x8 type I is a good choice ?
I own no puzzle with only one circle.

The advantage from 3x3x8 to 3x3x5 is that the faces are able to turn 90 degrees.
There exist many types of puzzles. 3x3x7 (I) 3x3x7 (II) 3x3x9, 3x3x8 etc. I own a Witeden super 3x3
The witeden super 3x3x3 is difficult. I think the super 3x3x7 must be difficult, too.
It's difficult to decide which is interesting and difficult enough.
What do you think ?

Cheers,
Andrea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:40 am 

Andrea wrote:
Hi Konrad, Burgo and all other "crazy" Cubers,

I cannot buy all puzzles, but I would get one more with circles. Cubes with circles are more difficult than Bermudas, I think.
Oh my goodness, Bermudas easier than Circle Cubes? :wink: At least I would not say this about my `cuboids`. I have some without circles (C4U 3x3x4, C4U 3x3x5, C4U 3x3x7, Witeden 3x3x6, Witeden 3x3x9, Witeden 3x3x7 Roadblock, Witeden 3x3x9 Roadblock) and the Witeden Super 3x3x3, 3x3x4, 3x3x5.
Too many puzzles :roll: I have not yet decided if I would go for a Super 3x3x7 or 3x3x8.
Andrea wrote:
What about series from Witeden?

Konrad, you wrote that the roadblock puzzle are easy.
Easy does not mean uninteresting or boring. Sometimes I like a puzzle which is not so hard.
It is always dependent which similar puzzles you have solved.
I assume that the Super 3x3x7 and 3x3x8 type 01 (one circle bandaged one not) provide some challenge.

Too many new puzzles to select from :roll:
Why not go for something different like the face turning Starminx? (I have a Mini from TomZ and have ordered the mas-produced version Starminx II = Starminx V1 in TP terminology)

Good luck with your decisions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next