Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tips on learning Algorthms
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:41 am 

Hey guys, quick question.

First off I know this particular forum is more puzzle builders and collectors rather then speed solvers, but I am sure there are some speed solvers on here, so here goes

Do you guys/girls (rox lol) have any tips on learning algorthms. I am trying to become faster by leaning 2-look Last layer, right now I use 3 look last layer. (2-look OLL and Full PLL) But there are just sooo many OLLs! I don't even know where to start.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out (although I will probably thank you anyway directly :lol: )

You just Uber Pwned a Noob

http://willscubingcenter.webs.com/

Post subject: Re: Tips on learning Algorthms
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:00 pm 

I'm still on 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL but I think I can help.

Looks for patterns and repetition in algorithms. Here's an example:
F R U R' U' F' f R U R' U' f' (An algorithm for getting the top cross.

You can see that R U R' U' appears twice, and is a very common algorithm. There is also an F, F', f, f', which is also very simple to remember.

Another way is to memorise certain patterns of movement. An example is:
R' F R B' R' F' R B'. If you are to look straight on at the F face, you'll see that once the R is moved (Which has a pattern of R', R, R', R) you will then have the F move clockwise, and the B move clockwise (From the position you're looking at, anyway) then they'll both go counter clockwise. I find cubewhiz helpful for finding these patterns.

There are a lot more ways though, like making sounds with the letters:
R U R' U R U2 R' U (Are you Rio? Are you? You, Rio?)

Making tunes with the movements
R' D' R D R' D' R D R' D' R D

Hope I helped.
And a ton of other ways.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:08 pm 

there ARE a lot of 3-OLLs! i too use 3LLL and what I basically do is scour the page for the "easiest looking" OLLs and then I learn that one that night. This goes on until there are only bad looking OLLs left and then you learn those

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:32 pm 

pick one or two algorithms to learn per day. Repeat them until your sick of them and them do them some more.
for example, start with a solved cube, pick an algorithm and perform it. then use whichever algorithm it takes to get it back to the solved state.

do this over and over and eventually you will see what is happening with the cubies and you'll understand what the algorithm is doing.

after that you no longer have to remember the R'U'RU part and you'll just perform the moves automatically.

Next day pick 2 more algorithms and repeat, in a couple weeks you'll have them all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:50 pm 

Actually, in a couple of weeks you would only have 28. plus 2loll 8 means 36/57.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:20 pm 

Thanks everyone especially retro, i think that will work for me, we'll have to see though, any other tips?

You just Uber Pwned a Noob

http://willscubingcenter.webs.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:10 pm 

Most good websites that provide algorithms do so with brackets. These divide it into groups which are easily memorisable.
If there are no brackets provided, write down the algorithm and add them yourself. Good points to add a bracket is at repeating parts, or when you have a need to regrip the cube.
For example, one of my g perms is R2 F2 U R2 F U F'R2 F U'F'U'F2 R2
Looking at it as groups of F and U moves split by R2 gave me
R2 [ F2 U] R2 [ F U F' ] R2 [ F U F' U'] F2 R2
The parts in brackets are easily memorized in my opinion. The last bracket can be seen as F U, and then just do the opposite, F' U' . The F2 I see more as a part of the R2 than a part of the F and U moves because it is a double move as well. Just divide it into things that are logical to you and you should be fine.
Then what I did was get a visual memory of how the cube should look after each bracket, this helps in seeing where in the algorithm you are and what you should do next, also when practicing you can easily see the mistakes and undo them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:55 pm 

my tip: don't, just do everything uber freestyle. Its much more fun