Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Annoying scrambles
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:46 pm 

Have anyone of you noticed that there are numerous items like badges, pins and mugs on for example eBay, that picture scrambled 3x3x3 cubes?

I have seen this while browsing eBay for different puzzles, and I am amazed by the ignorance of the maker of these items.
I have stumbled apon, guessing, up to fifty of these items, and not a single one depict a correct scramble. I mean, it only takes a quick look to reveal that the parts don't add up to a complete cube. Most of the times you have two corner cubies that have to occupy the same place, two identical edges, or an edge with colours from opposite sides.
I say, okey if they might have depicted a scramble that isn't able to be solved, due to some parity issue, since that can't be seen as easily, and may not be spotted at all on a picture of just three sides, but the obvious faults are so awkward it makes me almost sick...

Have anyone of you experienced this?

I can ad that there is a high probability that if I find any item like this with a seemingly correct scramble, I will buy it, no matter the price, just to suport the maker that actually took time to care about making it correctly! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:22 pm 

You think that's bad??

In florida at the Disney Pop Century Resort (World Cube '05), they had GIANT (I think 4 stories high) cube statues. Yep, they weren't solvable either. Not even close either, for example one cubie I saw had 2 blue colors on it. Common, if your going to spend thousands of dollars making your staircase look like a massive rubik's cube, you might as well make it a possible cube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:32 pm 

Scott Bedard wrote:
In florida at the Disney Pop Century Resort (World Cube '05), they had GIANT (I think 4 stories high) cube statues. Yep, they weren't solvable either.

Are you sure? Do you have a picture? I thought we checked and those looked ok. I do know the large cube(s) in the restaurant were invalid, though.

If you look closely, you can see one or two invalid cubes here:
https://secure.rubiks.com/images/lvl4/p ... cls_l1.jpg
http://www.speedcubing.com/ton/images/R ... 202002.jpg
*That* I call embarassing.

And oh no, did they remove that jigsaw cube puzzle? That was so much fun to make fun of. Aw, ok, then I'll make fun of this instead:
https://secure.rubiks.com/images/lvl4/p ... mgc_l1.jpg
(there are many more invalid pictures inside it...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:02 am 

It's also annoying when on e-bay you buy a cube and all the stickers have been swapped around.
Or when you tell someone you can solve the cube and they give you their cube to solve but it is unsolvable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:08 am 

Joe Wallace wrote:
It's also annoying when on e-bay you buy a cube and all the stickers have been swapped around.
Or when you tell someone you can solve the cube and they give you their cube to solve but it is unsolvable.

Yupp, it sure is, but then those "wrongs" can be undone by swapping the stickers, but you cant swap the stickers on a picture of the cube... (like on a badge or pin)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:10 pm 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Scott Bedard wrote:
In florida at the Disney Pop Century Resort (World Cube '05), they had GIANT (I think 4 stories high) cube statues. Yep, they weren't solvable either.

Are you sure? Do you have a picture? I thought we checked and those looked ok. I do know the large cube(s) in the restaurant were invalid, though.

Yes, i am 100% sure. One of the cubies had two blue sides. But only us nerds would ever realize that ;)

Post subject: sticker swapping.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:39 am 

I just received a rubik's ball puzzle and several of the stickers were swapped. Talk about a pain in the keister!

I figured it out finally. They had a combination of two of the same color on each edge piece. Made it very difficult.

Post subject: Re: sticker swapping.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:19 pm 

sexualRubiks wrote:
They had a combination of two of the same color on each edge piece. Made it very difficult.

LOL Maybe it was one of those that are solved when no sticker on the same sida are the same colour :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:53 pm 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
Scott Bedard wrote:

Here's a photo of the cube I think people noticed. It has one edge piece that appears to be blue on both stickers. In Disney's defense, however, I think they actually went to great length to ensure the accuracy of the cubes. The theme is 80's nostalgia, and these cubes look very much like a 1980's Ideal Toy style cube, complete with Japanese color scheme and original logo. Another neat thing is that the various cubes converge toward the solved state. There is only one solved cube, and the rest depict a sequence of turns from the solved state.

A couple of the large square plates may have been inadverently swapped during actual construction, resulting in the blue/blue edge shown here. But for the most part, they did a good job.

Attachments:
popcenturyblue.jpg
popcenturyblue.jpg [ 38.6 KiB | Viewed 862 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:21 pm 

Ey! Funny photo!

Here we have a very concentrated Ron working in his cube!

:):):):)