Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rival Webs: Need a good PHP coder & translators.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:24 pm 

I am looking for someone who is very skilled in PHP / MySQL who would like to help me code my OSCMS (Open Source Content Management System).

If you would like to see some of the code that i've already done, here is the link to the last updated source releases.
http://www.rival.bnetweb.net/rw_docs/

So far i've only really worked on the mysql driver, but I will be soon coding theme and language handling. If you are interested in helping out, let me know.

Also I am looking for bi-langual people to write language files for the site. The languages I am mainly looking for are French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and Russian. Only talk to me about being a translator if you are extreamly fluent.

Some backround information on Rival Webs now. It is in it's 7th pre-release, version's 0.1 - 0.5 were scrapped because they were more or less me learning php / mysql. Version 0.6 was basicaly an experiment. I was toying with the concept of plugins, language handling, external theme handling, internal theme handling, double salted sha1()/md5() passwords, javascript, error handling, apache mod_rewrite, and some other stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:18 pm 

Hey!

Why don't you just use the existing sql-connect() and sql_pconnect(). I recommend the latter since it will automatically reuse existing connections. I also recommend to start looking at using stored procedures.This way you can centralise the database access code. Also you can perform many queries and other tasks within a single transaaction. I would also recommend to use Inno_DB storage engine as default. Better performance and better fault-tolerance. Using the default MyIsam engine you would really need UPS to protect your valuable data.

I have coded quite a bit with PHP/MySql. Running through IIS6.0 on windows 2003 server with HTTP authentication and it works just fine. I would try to avoid as much as possible to use web-server specific code. You may end up with portability problems later.

Using include files to a large extent is a great time-saver. This way you will generally have shorter more readable code. And you get a way to protect user-sensitive data like database username/password.

At the moment i am too busy to get involved with your project/site.

Just my 2 dollars :twisted:

-Per

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:23 pm 

yea, the only thing on the page that isn't included is the index. everything else is either connected by include, require, or require_once. i'll post the sources for the index in a minute.

as for senestive data like passwords, passwords are double-salted and one way encrypted via sha1() or md5(), so even if you get the password it would be impossible to decrypt. Leaving the only way to attain a password by brute forcing, but I also have code to defend against that.

also my database is connected to via the index, so every file included has access to the database. adding extra code isn't needed. Also, i have sql_connect() as a function so that later on I can program error handling to take you to an error module. thats why i have the sql driver, so i dont have to code error handling a million times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:29 pm 

Hi :-)

Yes i can see the point in centralising error handling. This can also be achieved with a simple try-catch wrapper and including some error handling code into the catch part. Anyway, people have different styles of coding 8-)

I still think that you would benefit from using stored procedures. Unless you want to use transactional sql using stored procedures are quite straight forward. It's easy to find sample code on internet. For administering mysql i have found SQLYog very good. The official sqladministrator has some serious issues when working with stored procedures :cry:

Also i think you may run into trouble whenever u need to make nested queries into your database when you solely use mysql_connect(). Say you have a resultset and for each entry you need to make another query into the database. Whenever i have tried with just mysql-connect() it fails. With mysql_pconnect() however it works fine. Ok, this MAY be due to some other configuration i have wrong somewhere, not sure.

Anyway, best of luck 8-)

-Per