Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Disturbing Windows error
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:25 am 

or should I say WinD'oh!s error? I was just printing off a PDF file tonight and got the following error message...

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognised versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD now.

The only problem with this is, I don't HAVE a Windows CD, because the turds who sold me the computer (allegedly brand new, in the box, from the retailer) either forgot to pack it in or opened the box, stole it, and then re-sealed it and claimed to know nothing about it afterwards (I'm guessing that this is the most likely explanation, because there was a checklist packed in the box with the Windows CD checked off as being present, a checklist that they admitted is something that is done in store). Am I royally screwed here, or is this yet another example of a pointless Windows error message terrifying enough to freeze the blood in your veins, but ends up meaning absolutely nothing, perhaps fixable with a simple reboot? If this IS something that needs to be installed from the original CD, then is this something that can be fixed with ANY Windows CD (eg. the tech at the store can fix it), or does it HAVE to be reinstalled from the CD that I allegedly received, but never did? I'm really hoping that it isn't the latter... Thanks in advance for any assistance. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:32 am 

What brand of computer do you have? Most companies haven't been including the CD for a while. Instead they put the Windows Recovery data on a hidden partition or have a specific CD for your model.

This is to keep down on piracy and makes installs a lot easier for people since it's already customized to their hardware.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:31 am 

It's a Certified Data computer (London Drugs brand). I'm not sure if they would have done that, as I tried to return the computer a couple of weeks after I bought it, and they wouldn't take it back without the Windows CD. :cry: I really hope I'm not royally screwed here, but just in case I'm going to start backing up everything I want to keep today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:45 am 

You might try "system restore" that has helped me more than once.

Good luck....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:12 pm 

Thanks. I contacted the store about an hour ago and explained the situation... I'm pretty sure my displeasure with not getting the CD originally probably came through loud and clear. They're ordering in an XP SP 1 CD for me at no charge, and it should hopefully be here within a week. I just might give that System Restore thing a try, once I figure out how, and once I finish backing up stuff that I don't want to lose. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:55 pm 

Wow... this just keeps getting better and better... Just a few minutes ago when I was standing up in front of my computer, I felt my knee hit something and heard a loud... something... come from near my computer. As it turned out, my knee hit the DVD-RW tray, which for some reason was ejected with nothing in it, and I cracked it. First thing I did was grab my polymer bonder (or whatever it is) and tried fusing the 2 sides together... OK, it's not quite level... OK, adjust it... try again... still not... try again... etc... OK, I guess that's as close as it's going to get. OK, that piece of cracked plastic is going to scratch anything that I try and put in there. OK, where's that 600 grit sand paper? OK, sand, sand, sand... OK, this doesn't seem to be doing too much... OK, let's see what else I've got. 60, too coarse... OK, 100 ought to do it. no, wait! 150! OK, sand, sand, sand... wow, that feels rough now... OK, back to 600... sand, sand, sand... that still feels rough. OK, what was it they mentioned on the forum? Wet newsprint is even smoother? OK, I'll try that... paper, paper, paper... OK, is that smooth enough? I don't know... OK, this side looks higher than the other... will that matter? I guess that depends... do the discs rotate clockwise, or counter clockwise? I'm not sure... maybe I better sand it down some more, so that it doesn't really matter which way it rotates... OK, where's that 150? OK... sand, sand, sand... 600... sand, sand, sand... wet paper... sand, sand, sand... is that good enough? I don't know... I guess only time will tell... OK, close 'er up... strange, nothing happened... OK, maybe I didn't hold the button in long enough, or press it hard enough... OK, press the button harder and longer... it's still not closing... why isn't it closing? try it again, this time I'll look at it... OK, press the button... OK, the drive light's registerring... it's got to work this time... it didn't go in! What the...? OK, don't panic, try it again... it's still not working! Why isn't working? Maybe if I try to push it in. That always works... wow, that's stiff... it's never been that hard to push in before. OK, try the button again... nothing. Wait, what was that click? button... click. Ok, it wasn't my imagination. OK, it is trying to go in... hold on, I just saw the left side of the tray move! button... there it goes again! Maybe I can push it in now! Dang... no go... wonderful... not only is it cracked, but the tray seems to have jumped the track, so it won't go in no matter how hard I try, and to think all this damage happened in less than a second. Why was the tray out to begin with? I'm guessing that it was because I didn't want to see that annoying "you have entered the wrong disk. Please insert Windows XP SP 1 now" message one more time. So, because I wanted to avoid a minor inconvenience, I now need to get a new DVD burner and for the time being can't back up ANY of my data... :cry: I'm hoping that the XP CD will come in soon, and I sure hope it works. Thankfully I still have a read-only drive, and THAT tray is definitely staying well inside the computer until it gets here. L8r.