Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Boycott Sony
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:00 pm 

At least as far back as 2004, Sony has apparently been intalling rootkit spyware onto people's computers as part of their "enhanced copyright protection" scheme. For now, at least, it only seems to infect Windows users (ie. about 93% of the computer community), and Mac users (about 7%) should be safe... unfortunately, the only news I've been able to find is coming up to a year old now, so that could very well have changed by now. At first, Sony spokespeople were being pretty arrogant about the whole thing, at least one of them going on record as saying "most people don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care?" Well, quite frankly, you should care because 1) it's installed by Sony without your knowledge, 2) shares personal information about you, your files, and your music habits with them without your knowledge, 3) hides itself from anything that scans for running processes, trojans, viruses, worms, adware and spyware on your system, 4) can actually damage your computer hardware, 5) has an insanely high chance of destroying Windows if you try to uninstall it, 6) is a security hole that can be used by anyone in the know to find out information about you, and 7) runs on any PC from Windows 98 (SE?) and up. I haven't been able to do much in the way of searching yet, but here's a few articles I have been able to find on the subject so far...

http://www.p2p-weblog.com/50226711/sony ... _fraud.php
http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/a ... 5/nov4.php
http://slashdot.org/~xtracto/journal/121697
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0 ... 72&tid=158
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_ ... on_scandal

To top it off, Sony seems to have failed yet again to even protect their own rights with this new "copy protection" as well as violating the rights of their consumers in a major way. On the PS2, all that needed to be done to make the disks copyable was to write over the inner ring with black magic marker (from what I've heard... I never owned a PS2, so never had any incentive to try it), while on this new(ish) scheme, apparently all that's needed to break the protection is to rename a single file. Thank you, Sony, for being such humongously arrogant pricks that you thought that you could install software to steal our files and identity and destroy our hardware and software without our knowledge, for casting a dark shadow on Digital Rights Management in general, and for giving hackers and spyware programmers something to celebrate and a hero to look up to. I will never again buy any products from you or your subsidiaries, including BMG and Geffen Records, ever again, including the PS3 which was due to hit in November. You've lost a permanent customer, and hopefully plenty more when word gets around. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:48 am 

Yet more Sony crap... apparently they recently patented technology to prevent people from playing used, rented, or borrowed video games, and may even incorporate it into the PS3 once it hits the shelves... see the story here.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-s ... &cset=true

It used to be such a good company, too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:47 am 

**Only registered users may read that article**

can you cut and paste the article Tim?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:03 am 

Which one? There's 7 posted there. I'm surprised that such a message would come up, since I was able to read all 7, and I'm not on any of the sites as a registered user. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:18 am 

I meant the last link you posted...

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:53 am 

OK, here you go...

Furor Over Sony Patent

Technology that could prevent resale of games and other digital goods raises speculation, fears.
By Dawn C. Chmielewski, Times Staff Writer
July 10, 2006

Sony Corp. has patented technology that would prevent its PlayStation consoles from playing used, rented or borrowed video games — raising questions about whether the electronics and entertainment giant may attempt to redefine what it means to own something in the digital age.

Sony has said little about the technology, patented in Japan in 2000, or how it might be deployed. But speculation over Sony's plans has sparked a furor online as game fans and consumer advocates fret that the company may incorporate it into the upcoming PlayStation 3 console, due to hit stores this fall.

They worry that it would wipe out the $1-billion-a-year market for used games and could even prevent someone from playing their games at a friend's house.

It is not unusual for technology companies to patent innovations and then never incorporate them into products.

Documents filed in April 2000 with the U.S. Patent Office describe a method of copy protection by which the game system would verify a disc as legitimate, register the disc to that particular game console, then wipe out verification data so the disc would be rendered unreadable in other PlayStations.

"Since only titles for which legitimate software has actually been purchased and which have been initially registered in the machine table can be used, resale (so-called used software purchase) after purchase by an end user becomes practically impossible," according to the patent documents.

Although Sony has been vague about its plans for the technology, "I actually think they're toying with this idea," said Michael Pachter, a game industry analyst for Wedbush Morgan Securities.

Pachter said he thought Sony probably would not tighten the software locks on PlayStation 3 games but might employ bolstered copy protection on other forms of entertainment downloaded to the console over the Internet.

"Maybe they'll copy protect movies or music downloads," he said.

Whatever Sony's plans, the tempest illustrates the changing nature of ownership as millions of people accumulate vast collections of digital entertainment. Few people realize that when they buy software, music or movies, they are actually buying a license to use, listen or watch.

That's why it violates copyright laws for people to sell copies of their music collection.

Sony was attacked this year for including software on some of its music CDs that surreptitiously installed itself on computers playing the disc. The software was intended to prevent unauthorized copying. Sony later apologized.

Taking that sort of copy protection one step further would be, in the words of one analyst, "crazy."

"What does Sony get from that?" said John Taylor of Arcadia Investment Corp. "Sony gets a black eye. It doesn't make sense to me."

Several analysts said the patent appeared to principally be aimed at deterring game piracy. Indeed, Sony's patent notes that through the complexity of its copy-protection scheme "manufacture of counterfeit software becomes extremely difficult."

And it's not unusual for technology companies such as Sony to register patents either in anticipation of one day collecting royalties from someone seeking to license the technology or to prevent someone else from deploying it.

"These are all things technologically possible to do in any computing device," said one cryptographer, who requested anonymity. "In the video game business, it would be suicide for someone to do this. It's actually possible Sony filed this because they wanted to keep people from doing that."

Nonetheless, online speculation that Sony would use technological or other means to ban the sale of used PlayStation 3 video games prompted one analyst, P.J. McNealy of American Technology Research, to study its potential effect on the industry.

"While we believe it is unlikely that SNE will ban PS3 pre-owned games from being sold by the same chains that sell new PS3 games, we believe this issue remains under consideration," McNealy wrote in a research note issued June 23.

McNealy estimated that game fans spent about $990 million buying used games, primarily from GameStop or through EBay. Much of that spending — about $620 million — is for used PlayStation 2 games.

Were Sony to ban the sale of used games for its next-generation PS3, the effect on independent video game publishers would be negligible, McNealy said.

Used-game sales are a growing source of irritation for game publishers, which receive no proceeds from the resale of games. Executives privately complain that cheaper secondhand games are available for sale shortly after a new game's release; publishers, which give retailers marketing money to promote games, end up competing with discounted versions of their own titles.

Major independent game publishers Electronic Arts Inc., Activision Inc. and THQ Inc. declined to comment.

Meanwhile, used games are a lucrative source of revenue for retailer GameStop, which began reporting pre-owned game sales after its acquisition of competitor EB. Last year, secondhand game sales accounted for $930 million in revenue and $418 million in profit. The profit margin was 45%, compared with 21% for new games, according to Arcadia Investment Corp.

Analysts say used-game sales contribute to the overall growth of the video game market, in the same way that the ability to trade in a used vehicle fuels the new-car market.

"A used-car market creates currency to buy new cars. Same with games. Everybody acknowledges that," Pachter said. "The problem is if the used game is available a week after the new game is out for a $5 discount."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:15 pm 

ugh, that makes no sense!!

so say i have a ps3, bought 10 or so games... after a year or so (just guesstimating) and my ps3 breaks down. i can't repair it. so i get a new one. now with this technology, not only am i out a ps3(which i would have to buy a new one) i would have to buy those 10 games again, if i wanted to play them, because they are only verified on my old ps3 that no longer works!!

WOW... I doubt it will get to that extreme, but i pray it doesn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:19 pm 

I highly doubt sony would implement this to the full extent. If they do, I give those hacker geniuses about two weeks to find a work around.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:14 am 

Right you are, darryl, meaning that the only ones who would be able to maintain access to software that they bought and paid for are ones who are willing to void their warranty and/or go outside the law by buying and installing a mod chip. BTW, the Sony rootkit DOES infect Macs, after all. No info on *nix yet. See here...

http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/200 ... who_t.html

L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:36 am 

I. Hate. Sony.

All they do is steal ideas and then use their popularity to make money off of it and cause the companies that had the idea to make no profit.

$600 PS3

Holy crap! $600??? It must be good. It has such awesome graphics! *Looks at game list*

1. Final Fantasy XIII
2. Metal Gear Solid 4
3. Grand Theft Auto 4
4. Devil May Cry 4
5. Virtua Fighter 5
6. Ridge Racer 7

Whoa, they really put in an effort to create some original titles this time.

*Sony sees motion sensor in Nintendo's remote then puts it in their controller*

Sony: "Oh that? Well uh.....we've been working on that since 1872"

Controller layout

Sony: "Yeah, the D-pad, X, SQUARE, TRIANGLE, O, Start, Select and shoulder buttons are in the same layout as the SNES controller but guess what? We added TWO analog sticks, and FOUR shoulder buttons. It's a wonderful innovation!"

CD Players

Sony: "Hey, I got an idea! Let's make $200 CD players that break down in a week. Also we can add our fantastic G shock protection that prevents CDs from skipping when you shake it. But, when they shake it, it will break down! Hahahahaha! People will buy them just because they look cool!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:06 am 

Uhm, just so you know... Sony didn't make any of those games....

Some games may be exclusive to Sony Playstation, but only first party games are made by Sony... those games have different publishers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:46 am 

Six hundred!!!!!

Does anyone here remember Neo-Geo? The most powerful system of it's time, a $500 machine with $200-300 games (they were cartriges). They priced themselves right out of the market.

What about 3DO? Another expensive system that should have exploited the main advantage it had, the games were on cd, so they should have been cheap compared to the cartriges of the other systems of the time.

Although I really don't play video games anymore (except the Zelda series), I've had most of the systems at one time or another.

Atari 2600
NES
SNES
Genesis/sega CD/32x
Game Gear
Game Boy
N64
Saturn
PS1
Dreamcast
Gamecube

I've learned that it isn't hardware so much that sells systems, but the software. Exclusive games for systems (Nintendo knows what I mean) are what sell certain systems. I mean if you could choose to buy a $600 system or a $250 system that played the same games with the less expensive system just slightly less powerful (maybe not enough to notice unless you have a 1080p HDTV) which would you choose to pay for?

If you were a game developer would you rather sell games on systems that many people could afford, or on systems that very few could afford? I think they would choose to sell more games than less games.

ok enough ranting by me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:58 am 

true, but it's the publishers that make money off of the games, not Sony, or Microsoft (unless it's a first party game)...

So Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo usually winds up losing on console sales all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:16 pm 

reeeech wrote:
Uhm, just so you know... Sony didn't make any of those games....

Some games may be exclusive to Sony Playstation, but only first party games are made by Sony... those games have different publishers.

I know. But it's Sony that approves these games to appear on their console. The console manufacturer is partly responsible for making sure that original games are released and Sony isn't doing that.

Like how Nintendo is urging developers to create original content (Elebits, Rayman, Cooking Mama, DK Kongo Blast, Project H.A.M.M.E.R.), Microsoft is also kind of trying to do this.. Yeah, Sony has Afrika and maybe some others but any company could do that.

Quote:
true, but it's the publishers that make money off of the games, not Sony, or Microsoft (unless it's a first party game)...

Developers too. And Console makers make money from Second Parties.

Note: I have enjoyed PS2 (minus the DRE). The Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter games are my two favorite series to be made this generation. But will I enjoy Ratchet and Clank 14? They'll just have to keep changing the series like they did with Ratchet: Deadlocked. A fourth R&C platformer would have had worse reviews and the same things all over again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:28 am 

You see why I've never bought anything from Sony?

Nintendo forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:00 am 

PS3 im going for one hahaha