Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Any TransFans out there?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:55 pm 

If so, you may be interested to know that Sony BMG has bought the rights to the original Transformers TV series and movie from Hasbro. This November, they'll start off their new releases with a 2 disc, 20th Anniversary edition of Transformers: The Movie! There will be 3 completely separate releases of the film, including the WIDE screen version optimised for 16:9 TVs. This is the FIRST TIME EVER that a wide screen release has been made to the public since it first debuted in the theatres. Whereas the original "Special Edition" DVD by Rhino basically only had an interview with Vince DiCola (the composer) in its bonus materials, this one will be completely re-mastered and colour corrected, and will incluude trivia/factoids about the movie and behind the scenes info, much of which is being provided by fans (and possibly still can be in time for the DVD release if you act now... see below), commentaries by director Nelson Shin, story consultant Flint Dille and Arcee voice actress Susan Blu, commercials for the movie and the toy lines, and also includes a transforming artwork cover. To top it off, they've formed a special partnership with Paramount to get a sneak preview and interviews with Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay on next summer's upcoming release of the Transformers live action movie! I'll be getting it on November 7th, the day it comes out. You can get more details on it at http://www.transformersthemoviedvd.com as they're released, and I'll also be writing a further review on it when I pick up my copy, including anything noticeably different between the letterbox vs. pan & scan editions, eg. whether the letterbox is a true widescreen version, or if it's simply a matted full screen. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:13 pm 

Awesome!!! Hmmm are they capitalizing on the fact that the new Transformers Movie is coming out?

Well I loved the first Movie. I still have it on video tape ;)

Hmmmm, Tim you should have your own section in the Off Topic's... all your reviews and updates and news/info for upcoming DVD's! Haha you already informed me twice about what's coming out... (I'm sure they've already been anounced, but it was news to me when you posted it!)

Thanks again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:31 pm 

Nah. Thanks for the compliment, but I don't think so. I'm not a die hard movie buff. I just happened to see a Star Wars DVD commercial on TV when I was surfing this forum one day sparking the original Star Wars post, and I was just surfing IMDB on the Transformers boards today just before I posted this message. I also read that they're going to be doing colour corrections on the TV series as well as re-releasing those, too... Whether they're going to be doing basic colour corrections, eg. richer versions of the colours that are already there, or correcting glaring errors, eg. Hound being coloured like Optimus Prime or something, is yet to be seen. As for capitalising on the new movie, check my statement in the original message that starts 3 lines above the link. :wink: L8r.

Post subject: Sneak preview
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:01 am 

I came across a couple of sneak previews on YouTube regarding the widescreen release of the special edition. As much as it pains me to say this, the wide screen edition is NOT true wide screen... it's matted instead, meaning that instead of their being extra animation off to the sides which we never got to see before, what they did was animate it in a TV standard 4:3 aspect ratio and blocked off the top and bottom to make it LOOK wide screen. Those of you who have a copy of a previous release, queue it up to the beginning of the final showdown between Optimus Prime and Megatron, and compare it side by side with the YouTube preview here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z0DsylTPj3k

The first obvious difference is just after Optimus transforms (as far as I know, the ONLY place in all of Transformers lore where they have the transforming sound completely unhindered by anything else)... in the widescreen edition, once it zooms out a bit, it just barely clips off the top of Prime's trailer... in the full screen version, you can not only see the top of his trailer, but sky above that as well. I'd go into more details, but it's late here and I've REALLY got to go to bed... as much as I'd like to see the movie in wide screen, this is one of those rare instances where it's actually the CROPPED version and the full screen version actually gives you the whole picture, something that the "black bar" haters, I'm sure, will be happy to hear. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:52 am 

Transformers are nice, but there I must say, there is another cartoon that had stayed in my heart... Starblazers!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LLXt9fIIsK8

Here is the title start of the second round, where the invincible comet empire was terrorizing the universe.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IOW8uJxLlUQ

Now that series was much older than Empire Strikes Back (my favourite Star Wars pick), and the resemblance between the Comet Empire and the Death Star is striking...!
Now if I add that I had to watch that series while at primary school using a black and white TV, then you may even guess my age LOL

If you ask me, it is a must watch (all three rounds x 26 episodes each), and despite the cartoon's old age, it is still very impressive! :)

Pantazis

PS Tim, sorry for hijacking your transformers thread, but the cartoon talk reminded me of "Argo"!

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:55 am 

No worries. I won't be picking this up now. For my reasoning, see my "Boycott Sony" thread. L8r.

Post subject: CARTOON.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:05 pm 

No this is by far the best cartoon right here!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... naut&hl=en