Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Star Wars on DVD, yet again...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:23 pm 

Apparently Lucasfilm is releasing yet another version of the Star Wars Trilogy (the only one that matters). The good news is that it will FINALLY have the ORIGINAL theatrical releases of each film, even minus "Episode IV - A New Hope" in the scroll of the original as it was first displayed back in 1977, and once again, Greedo doesn't get a chance to shoot first. This is apparently being done against Lucas's wishes, as he once swore that he would never, ever release the original versions again, and has even claimed that the negatives for the original version were destroyed. The BAD news is that it's apparently a copy off of an early 90's laser disc release, without any remastering being done to make it DVD quality, and in order to get Lucas's grudging acceptance of the release, it's being packed in with the 2004 versions. :cry: I swore that I would never have anything at all to do with that blasphemous crap EVER, but I don't know... this could very well be the ONLY opportunity to get them the way they were meant to be seen, ie. Sebastian Shaw for the ghost of Anakin instead of what's his face from the new trilogy, the mystique of Jabba being reserved for the end of the saga (even if he does turn out to be an oversised pancake), one of the greatest bounty hunters in the galaxy NOT being shown to have worse aim than an Imperial Stormtrooper by missing his target at a distance of only 2 metres... Come to think of it, how DID the troopers get to be so mind numbingly pathetic between episodes 3 and 4, anyway? I'll have to do some serious thinking on this one... Apparently the movies are being sold separately, at about the same price as a standard one disk movie... I suppose if worse comes to worst, I can always get it and then destroy the crap version. L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:27 pm 

Hmmm, interesting... When is this supposed to be released?

I LOVE the first Star Wars trilogy, but my Bro is a HUGE fan, who yes pretty much has the set for VHS, a set for DVD and the remastered for DVD. (I think they were the Silver and Gold sets?)

So I'm sure he's going to want to pick this up as well :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:47 pm 

Apparently, September 12th. One guy on IMDB claims that he got his on the 5th when he ordered it online. I thought he said where it was ordered from, but after scouring the threads I've already read, I can't find any mention of it anywhere. :? L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:26 pm 

Thanks! :D

Post subject: New Star Wars DVD Review
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:07 am 

You're welcome, reeeech! (I had to go back one screen to find out how many e's to include... is that reech? reeeech? reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech? :wink: ) Anyhoo, after thinking about it long and hard, I decided to pick up the new disc. I skipped right over disc one, of course, and went straight to the bonus disc. Let me tell you, it was SWEEEEEEEEEEEET! :D The rumours are true... For those of you who believe that the original Star Wars was ALWAYS publically known as "A New Hope", prepare to be shocked... this print is most definitely taken from the original release in 1977, while the "New Hope" thing was added for the 1978 theatrical version. I got chills when I saw that... As far as I'm aware, the version of the movie without it has never been released before, so that alone makes this a welcome addition to any home library, IMHO. I always cringed when I saw that on the video, and my mind was screaming "Where did that come from? That's not supposed to be there! It's just called "Star Wars"!" Now my inner voice can finally be at peace... The image and sound were far better than I figured it would be. Yes, it's somewhat grainy in parts and on a 16:9 screen you'll probably get some minor side bars (as one guy on IMDB said, "Watch it the way it was meant to be seen... through your mail slot!"), but it would probably be pretty minor and you'll probably filter it out pretty quickly anyway. The sound, similarly, has not been enhanced. It IS in stereo, and high quality stereo (I had Windows Media Player and the system volume cranked all the way up to max and didn't hear a single bit of hiss or pop on my noisy sound card), but don't expect Dolby/THX surround. I didn't mind too much since I played it through my headphones so I wouldn't annoy the neighbours in my apartment (if I had my own house, I'd probably crank it through my Altec Lansing speakers, but I don't, so I didn't). Mos Eisley is once again more barren and desolate with no elephant sized creatures in the middle of intersections anywhere to be seen, Han fires first, and there's no sign of Jabba anywhere. I read on IMDB that there's artifacting all over the place and you could see the strings on some of the ships, but I didn't notice any anywhere. Perhaps I was too sucked into the movie after not having seen it in over a decade. I did notice, though, that the ground beneath Luke's landspeeder was pink when it was in motion, which I'd never noticed before, and from what I've heard, Lucas had corrected to make it look like sand in later releases. The orange boxes around the tie fighters which a lot of people have complained about in video releases (an artifact of the matte process used to create the scene conflicting with television technology) appears to be completely gone, so there's NO distractions during the space battle scenes, at least on my monitor. I've only seen them once before in the "one last time" video release, while I've read complaints from others that they saw it all the time in other versions. Is the effect truly gone, or is it simply because of the monitor I'm using? I guess the only way to find out for sure is if someone reports seeing them on the new release disks. All in all, I'm extremely happy with the purchase. At $22.99 Canadian at A&B Sound, the price is certainly right. I was afraid I'd never get to see these movies again, and now I get to see them as they always should have been seen, "One Last Time" for the second time. :wink: L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:58 am 

Wow!!! Thanks for the detailed review Tim. Thank god my bro is a huge fan so I can borrow his copy :P

hahaha yeah there's an on going joke about my nick with my friends... reeeech with 4 e's is the shortened version of reeeeeeeech (8 e's) LOL...