Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:02 pm 

Excellent! Good idea. Maybe you could teach them the cube in exchange for some juggling lessons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:53 pm 

Quinn Lewis wrote:
Excellent! Good idea. Maybe you could teach them the cube in exchange for some juggling lessons.
I seem to be unable to get three balls plain. Haha. I just fail.

I'd gladly teach her the cube.

I'm getting really excited to see her tomorrow. [I've had a crush on her for over a year.]

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:00 pm 

Do you guys know where I could learn how to juggle 4+ balls?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:27 pm 

How about right here :wink:

For 4 balls, you simply need to be able to juggle 2 balls in one hand. However, you need to be able to do it fluently in both hands. Thats all 4 balls is - juggling 2 in each hand at the same time.

You have to have 4 mastered before you can even attempt 5. There are many ways to practice for 5 balls - my favorites are: juggling 3 balls very high (still in rhythm though), doing 3 ball flashes with claps while they are all in the air, and juggling 3 in one hand (be fluent in each hand). All of these will help you train for 5. A 5 ball flash isn't too hard, if you can juggle 4. The hard part is continuing. This simply comes with practice.

Of course, there are tutorials on the web, also. Just google it.

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:06 am 

Quinn Lewis wrote:
You have to have 4 mastered before you can even attempt 5.

Why? I can't do 4 (meaning not even qualify, let alone "mastered") but my record for 5 is 43 catches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:44 am 

From what I have seen in my 11 years juggling, that is usually the case - that you have to be able to juggle 4 before learning 5. Of course, with every generality, there is an exception. In this case, its you, Stefan, and probably some others. However, the generality in this case is learning 4 before 5.

With that said, a lot of people will learn 7 before learning 6. The rationale behind this is that 7 feels SO much like 5 (except higher obviously) that people tend to skip 6 altogether. In my opinion, 6 is much harder than 7, because 6 balls requires such an immense sweep of the arms to both sustain 3-in-one-hand, and have none of the balls collide.

You have to be in a completely different mindset when juggling even numbered balls compared to odd numbers. That's a possibility why you can't juggle 4, Stefan.

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:27 am 

I have decided to jump from 3 - 5, same principle with Rubik's cubes, odd numbers are the same pricinples and evens another.

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:52 pm 

Yes, I also think 7 will be easier for me than 6 (though, I haven't tried either yet). Juggling odd numbers just feels so natural and even numbers feels like I'm doing two separate things at the same time. I guess it's just the same for me with 5 vs 4. Could also be the fault of my left hand, though. Juggling two in my right is quite ok, but two in my left is just bad. So maybe when both hands juggle together, the right is making up for the flaws of the left? Or maybe it's because I'm just not interested in 4 and never practiced it much. I'll give 4 a try, though main focus will stay at 5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:44 pm 

I showed my juggling friend this thread. Here's what she said over aim.

Quote:
-------: its funny how theyre talking about vova being a complete genious and im talking to him right now, he's showing me his WJF3 stuff
-------: that people arent supposed to be seing yet
sk8r123178: Haha
sk8r123178: Show him the thread?
-------: nah
-------: hed probbaly just use it to fuel his ego, not that it isnt big enough already or anything
-------: haha
sk8r123178: Haha

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:45 am 

She is talking like Vova isn't a complete genius!

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:44 pm 

Pembo wrote:
She knows the guy and competes with him. He also had a crush on her best friend for a long time.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:59 am 

xcool wrote:
Pembo wrote:
She knows the guy and competes with him. He also had a crush on her best friend for a long time.

So she thinks he's not a complete genius because she thinks the crush should've been on herself instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:44 am 

Stefan keeps up with the story...:P

I don't know why people get so worked up over showpeople being arrogant. Without those people thinking they are really good, no one would perform. The same goes with bands too...
Say you went to a concert to see your favourite band, and they come on stage and say:
'Sorry, we aren't going to play anymore, we are no good, no one likes us so you might aswell all go home.' You would be very dissapointed.
Wereas, if a band were to showoff, get cheers/applauds from the audience, they realise they are good/liked and therefor play more.

What I am saying is, praising someone doesn't feed their ego, but makes them more confident and willing to do things, even if they are arrogant about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:26 pm 

Pembo wrote:
What I am saying is, praising someone doesn't feed their ego, but makes them more confident and willing to do things, even if they are arrogant about it.

Yeah, but "overpraising" isn't good for the ego...

At least to my oppinion

What I mean is that one should, on both sides, have reasoning enough to know when enough is enough...

or something :shock: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:36 pm 

No, she had a long time boyfriend at the time. She just sees him as another friend, not some famous person.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:32 am 

Well I suppose if you are competing at the same level, you don't consider them as good as a person who can't juggle would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:47 pm 

haha learned how to juggle this week made a quick video on webcam so it is not so great. but i did have some fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgu1Cxef5uI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:29 pm 

Looks good man, however, it looks like you're trying to look at each ball as it enters your vision. You will greatly improve if you keep your eyes fixed at the top of the arc, and look at something past the pattern. Lets say, a wall or something. Give that a go, and tell me what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:47 am 

The girl I like is learning to cube. She can almost solve it without looking at algs she says. She wants to teach me to juggle.

I'm actually going to her practice today to watch her a bit, then we're going to my school's homecoming game.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:50 pm 

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but found this cool .gif and thought i'd share :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:11 pm 

He used the force!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:17 pm 

That reminds me of a music video from the 90's or the 80's. I think the song was called Take me on. Sorry I don't know the group who sings that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:42 pm 

a-ha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:38 pm 

Cool video!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:02 pm 

thats awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:12 pm 

Close... the song's called "Take On Me". L8r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:27 pm 

Just saw a beautiful "trailer" on Discovery!

It was one of these "jingle trailers" that usualy just seem like pointless ways to make time pas when there is no program or commercial, but this one was realy cool.

If featured a juggler in a brownish/dusty not very good lit space (wasn't small enough to be a room, maybe a barn or something). At first he juggles three wooden (looks that way) balls of approximate diameter 3,5cm/1,5in and then four.
Next he pick up a lot of transparent balls of the same size and start roling them around his hands and arms in like pretty patterns. On was roling three balls in one palm with a fourth one lying on top of the three others, and this he does in both hands simultaneous.

Does anyone know anything about this little "trailer"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:02 pm 

I thought those balls are called Qigong but wikipedia's Qigong didn't mention any balls, though at least I was right about it being Chinese. Then I searched wikipedia for "chinese balls" and.. um.. it's not exactly what I thought. Don't look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:00 pm 

@Stefan: Hahahahaha. Wow. Talk about bad luck.

I'm going to see if Sofia will teach me to juggle sometime soon.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:57 pm 

Quote:
If featured a juggler in a brownish/dusty not very good lit space (wasn't small enough to be a room, maybe a barn or something). At first he juggles three wooden (looks that way) balls of approximate diameter 3,5cm/1,5in and then four.
Next he pick up a lot of transparent balls of the same size and start roling them around his hands and arms in like pretty patterns. On was roling three balls in one palm with a fourth one lying on top of the three others, and this he does in both hands simultaneous.

That "rolling around" is called Contact Juggling. It is called that because the ball(s) never leave the surface of your body. It is EXTREMELY difficult, but absolutely gorgeous when done correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:09 am 

http://www.michaelmoschen.com/movies/player_light.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:28 am 

Quinn: Yeah, it is gorgeous! This guy rolled one of the balls from his sholer to his hand and back several times. Seems realy easy when he does it, but no chans in hell I could make it :P (can't even juggle in "normal" way)

Stefan: The things featured in that film is in the one I talked about, and it seems to be the same typ of balls, but there is more happening in the film I described, and I don't think it is the same guy...
Btw, how dou you find clips about so many things so fast?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:36 am 

I knew it was a-ha (I actually have the cd). But I googled for "take me on" and the fifth result is the video.

I knew about contact juggling before and had actually visited the guy's website and watched that movie. But the way I came across it again now was I searched for "contact juggling" in wikipedia, clicked on "Michael Moschen" since he seems to be the man, then "Official Web Site", then "Press".

It's all easy. It's the era of information at your fingertips, really. Google, Wikipedia, some common sense and a little luck are all it takes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:40 am 

Stefan Pochmann wrote:
It's all easy. It's the era of information at your fingertips, really. Google, Wikipedia, some common sense and a little luck are all it takes.

Highlighted part is where I miss out, at least when it comes to technology and stuff... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:46 am 

Well, common sense can also be written as "experience" and I guess I have a bit of that (says the computer scientist and internet junkie in me). Also, I should've emphasized the luck factor more.