Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Juggling videos
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:43 pm 

Hey all, many of you have probably seen the video of Chris Bliss's finale (performed to the beatles) and thought it was simply breath taking. If you haven't, here's the link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuM33ftp ... is%20bliss

Being a juggler myself, this isn't very impressive. However, if any of you know who Jason Garfield...you will know he is by far the best juggler alive today (he's also very mean, angry, and cocky :P )

Because of his mean spirit and INSANE juggling abilities, he created one of them most incredible juggling routines I have ever seen. He calls it the "Chris Bliss Diss" in which he makes a complete parody of Chris Bliss's 3 ball routine.....but with 5 balls. He incorperates most of the tricks Bliss uses, uses the same exact music track, however, uses INSANE 5 ball tricks instead. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWkoH67p ... iss%20diss

If you haven't seen either, watch the Bliss version, get freaked out by how good it is, then move on to the Garfield. Enjoy!

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:40 pm 

juggling....thats on my to do list for this year, how did you learn quinn?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:17 pm 

I learned from a friend, and I got exposed to some tricks through the JuggleMaster program, by Ken Matsuoka. Check that stuff out. There are also a lot of great websites that go step by step through learning the basic 3 ball pattern and beyond.

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:41 am 

yer, i intend to learn just basic juggling and then maybe expand,
dont people usually learn with those pieces of fabric first, the ones that fall really slowly?

@.=split(//,"J huhesartc kPaeenrro,lt");do{print$.[$_];$_=($_+3)%25;}while($_!=0);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:04 am 

Yeah, Scarfs. When I teach people, I totally avoid using scarfs because the way they work and they way ANY other jugging prop works is completely different. With Scarfs, you lift them up, drop them, and let them fall (and they do so quite slowly, correct). You then "claw catch" them at the bottom (a palm-down grasp), lift them up, and the cycle continues. If you tried to juggle balls, clubs, rings, or anything else like that, it simply will not work. Those things fall quickly, and you'll be bending over a lot when you try to go from scarves to balls.

When I teach, I use an EXTREMELY broken down step-by-step plan. Right now, I have to go to work, but I will post my teaching method at around 6:45 EST.

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:00 pm 

I've been watching/reading/listening Jason for several hours now and I conclude he's a genius. Great juggling, great attitude. I love that guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:26 pm 

Quote:
I've been watching/reading/listening Jason for several hours now and I conclude he's a genius. Great juggling, great attitude. I love that guy.

You are absolutely correct, Stefan.

I have met Jason on numerous occasions, from the WJF competitions to the IJA's (international juggling association's) annual convention, the "Jugglefest" as they call it. I will re-state, he is BY FAR the most perfected, original, and most upper level juggler alive today, rivaled only by Anthony Gatto (check him out too....he does INSANE numbers juggling, which is juggling large number of props, usually 5 and above. He actually has the world record for flashing 12 rings, and keeping 9 balls going for minutes at a time. BTW, a minute is a REDICULOUSLY long time in juggling, especially in high numbers of props)

I also feel I should mention, his "mean guy" attitude is in no way a facade or an act; he is really a generally disturbed, mean, arrogant, business-business-business kind of person. I made the mistake of complimenting and showing my appreciation for his work, and he merely brushed me off saying "Don't give me that." Needless to say, I felt honored :P

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:28 pm 

My friend, who is as obsessed with juggling as I am with cubing, showed me that in school like, a whiles ago. :P Still cool. I believe my friend met him once. Ever hear of a Scott R. from Minnesota? (With holding last name for obvious reasons.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:31 pm 

Nope, sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:50 am 

Quinn Lewis wrote:

When I teach, I use an EXTREMELY broken down step-by-step plan. Right now, I have to go to work, but I will post my teaching method at around 6:45 EST.

Quinn

im looking forward to seeing that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:34 pm 

Sorry I didn't get back to posting that day, I was exhausted from work.

Regarding my teaching method, it so happens that Garfiend and I both developed the same teaching system independently. You can see it in action on Jason's website, at the end of the "McEnroe" video clip. Good stuff!

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:45 pm 

Quinn Lewis wrote:
Garfiend

garfiend!! :P you mean garfield? you dont want to insult the big man do you?

well i have now started to learn to juggle, how long would you say it would take for me to get 3 balls going?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:06 pm 

Heh, maybe that was a Freudian slip....he is quite a fiend.......

BTW, did you check out that video yet? Jason does a good job of teaching quickly, I have seen a group of 30+ all learn the standard 3 ball cascade within 30 minutes. Not polished of course, but juggling nonetheless.

Tell me what you think!

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:23 am 

http://www.thewjf.com/mainvideos/3balls.mov
this is the video incase anyone wants to see it.
i havent got any juggling balls but i have these sponge balls and some baseballs, which would you recommend i use?

i guess this sums up garfieldhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v= ... 20garfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:52 am 

I would recommend you use neither of them to start. You can very easily find cheap starter kits with REAL juggling balls in them. Albeit they won;t be the best quality, but they will get the job done. http://www.dube.com has good cheap juggling beanbags, as do many other suppliers. If you're looking for something of better quality, definately go with John Nord's "Juggling thingies" -

http://www.jugglingthingies.homestead.c ... /index.htm

I would recommend the numbers juggling balls, as they are smaller and easier to control. If anyone is interested, I use the standard 2.75 inch Nords made of white on white ultraleather. Definately the best juggling ball ever.

Quinn

P.S. - Thanks for posting the link to the video, Pembo. He may sound egotistical at the end saying "Mimic ME! BE ME! Don't think, just be ME!" however, immitation and then variation are the best ways to succeed in learning anything new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:07 pm 

i dont any money...and i am saving for some puzzles then i need to save to go to florida, so buying a juggling kit it is out of the question....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:52 pm 

The next step down from all that equiptment is Tennis Balls then.

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:56 pm 

i could probably get some of them,
progress report...from that video, i can now juggle 3 balls, only doing three throws for now...:D
i keep throwing the balls away from me and not upwards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:08 pm 

If you stand in front of a wall when you practice, whatever balls thrown out will bounce right back to you. You'll soon grow out of it, don't worry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:55 pm 

I couldn't resist this and I apologise in advance. I am not leaving it up for very long-

(sorry guys link now removed)

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:07 pm 

Wow. That's a lot of guts. Or a lot of something. If I ever had a Dino Cube I would be too afraid to even mix it and solve it carefully. I've never even mixed my octahedron. That was just insane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:19 pm 

I got an error with WMV. Tried both mirrors twice.

Apok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:37 pm 

Quinn,

Do you think juggling may help with your basketball skills? It seems like it could help with dribbling, and passing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:57 pm 

Bah! The movie isn;t working for me either!

In regards to Basketball, Skenegee, juggling enhances anything that requires hand-eye coordination to almost super human levels. If something is falling off a table, you WILL catch it. If a lamp is falling over, you will save it. Although I'm not a basketball player myself, I know that it will most definately increase your skill levels.

In addition to juggling, other hand-eye hobbies of mine are card throwing, off-road unicycling (Mountain Unicycling, or MUni), and playing piano. Music is the main 99% of my life, and I am going to a Conservatory to study jazz and classical saxophone along with music education and piano performance (too many degrees in 5 years, I know), so I hope my hand-eye skills will make my juries smoother!

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:46 pm 

Thanks for sharing Tony

If you ever want to trade one of those Dino cubes, let me know :wink:

You are a brave man. How come you didn't juggle 3 overlapping cubes :lol: or 3 of your own puzzles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:32 am 

Dodd,
Dino cubes are pretty robust and they fit nicely into the hand. I certainly don't make a habit of this kind of thing. I had watched the juggling discussion for a while and was certain that someone would mention puzzle juggling at some stage. When they didn't I couldn't resist making the video. I have now removed it since it's daft, somewhat embarressing and I don't want to take over Quinns thread.

Quinn,
Something I have often wondered. Do you think an expert juggler and cube solver could juggle with, say three scrambled cubes and while juggling solve them? I know it would be very difficult and take a long time but wondered if it was a realistic possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:18 am 

Probably not exactly what you meant, but here's Macky solving in one hand and juggling two in the other.
http://cubefreak.hp.infoseek.co.jp/videos/ARML_cube_juggle.avi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:47 am 

mgwallisa wrote:
Wow. That's a lot of guts. Or a lot of something. If I ever had a Dino Cube I would be too afraid to even mix it and solve it carefully. I've never even mixed my octahedron. That was just insane.

The Dino Cube is perhaps the easiest twisty puzzle you can possibly own. You will solve it almost by accident, it's that easy. If you can logically position about half of the pieces on the puzzle, the other half almost magically seem to solve themselves. No formulas needed. I've seen complete puzzle novices "accidently" solve the Rainbow Cube, which is just a truncated Dino Cube.

The octahedron is almost as easy. If you can solve a pyraminx, I guarantee that you can solve the octahedron. The only reason I don't scramble up my personal octahedron more often is because, well, there's no challenge. So go ahead and give it a few twists. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:10 am 

Tony, yes it is possible. What would have to be done would be to juggle 3 scrambled cubes, do 2 in one hand, solve 1, switch it out, do the next, and switch it out, and do the last one. Just doing a standard 3 ball pattern doing a move each throw I think would be totally absurd :wink:

Regarding that video of macky, thats more of a challenge than it looks. You're basically juggling 2-in-one-hand with your eyes closed (well, not really, they're on the cube). Macky and I raced this way once, and of course, he beat me :P. I have solved while doing 3-in-one-hand, but it took FOREVER and my right arm was killing me afterwords. Not recommended :P

Quinn

P.S. - Anyone else learn from watching Jason?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:08 am 

Oh Jin, it's not so much of being able to return it to solve, but the fear of me putting a blemish I couldn't undo on it. Now, if I could get a second one, that gets scrambled immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:06 am 

Compare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEb3YknGUks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sewcHytAt3M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:55 pm 

I can almost juggle now Quinn.
By the way, do you have any videos of you juggling Quinn?

@Stefan: that video of Chris Bliss' routine looks very similar to his other video posted on here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:49 pm 

AWESOME, Pembo! Good to hear it! I have been thinking about making a little montage of myself juggling for a while, and Frank Morris has wanted a video of me for a while now...I should take a hint and just do it already! I'll post one ASAP!!

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:51 pm 

I'm still having the problem of me throwing the ball away from me and also the balls I am using are hard to catch becuase they are quite bouncy, but I can still get 5/6 continuous throws every time. Almost there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:58 pm 

If you practice in front of a wall, it will force you to throw them straight up, and not out at all. Try that for a little. Also, to avoid breaking your back, practice over a bed or a table, so you don't have to bend over so much.

Quinn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:01 pm 

I learned to juggle a few summers ago. I tried to read a couple books on the subject but found them either too complicated or lacking in detail, so I just kept throwing two balls as if about to start juggling 3, then went on to practicing a 3-ball flash over and over and over until I had it down. After that it was just a question of adding throws. It took me about an hour to learn and a week to get good. Using this (rather haphazard) method I even managed to get my brother (who has the hand-eye coordination of a moose) juggling after a few hours!
I've since progressed on to clubs and even fire clubs, which I don't use often because my mum gets mad when I leave burn marks on the lawn! And it's bloody scary to have fire flying repeatedly at your face...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:32 pm 

I can finally juggle properly now, I just bought some Thuds last night, I was wondering how good quality they are?
http://www.oddballs.co.uk/acatalog/Beanbags.html
I bought 5 of the 125g ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:33 pm 

They're alright, thats what I started with as well. The great thing about them is (hence their name) do not have any bounce/rebound WHATSOEVER. That makes them really good for learning. However, they have a tendency to go out-of-round when juggling, giving them a floppy appearance to others. When you become more advanced, and are willing to shell out a little more money, I would highly recommend John Nord's "Juggling Thingies"

http://www.jugglingthingies.homestead.c ... /index.htm

He makes them in a large array of colors, materials, and sizes. I use 2.75" white ultra-leather 14 panels of his. Simply awesome for both practice and performance. However, not that great for numbers over 5. For higher numbers juggling, I would recommend his numbers juggling balls (2.25 inch)

Quinn

P.S. - Great job, Pembo! I'd love to see a video of you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:59 pm 

Quinn Lewis wrote:

P.S. - Great job, Pembo! I'd love to see a video of you

I haven't got it mastered yet, I can keep it going for atleast 20 throws and then my concentrations just lapses :shock: I am going to practise lots this week and impress the family at our party this weekend, I may make a video next week though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:50 pm 

Pembo wrote:
I can keep it going for atleast 20 throws

Me too now :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:59 pm 

Nice one Stefan.

I am currently working on my mad 3 ball skils. I can do a normal cascade, a reverse cascade, over-the-top (with both hands), a half shower with my right hand, and a single ball pirhouette and fake tennis.

I am working on half shower with left hand and arches/rainbow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:40 pm 

What did I tell you about learning fluently with both hands, Pembo! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:11 am 

That is why I am learning the half shower with my left hand now.... 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:26 pm 

The girl I like knows a lot of the famous Juggling people. Personally too.

She just got back from Portland for the Jugglefest thingy over there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvoi6aI3 ... ia%20meyer

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:29 am 

Wow, she has nearly perfect form! Heh, it says she knows Vova Galchenko....a genius. You all have probably seen the Music Video he made to that Fatboy Slim song, "That old pair of jeans" or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:16 pm 

Quinn Lewis wrote:
Wow, she has nearly perfect form! Heh, it says she knows Vova Galchenko....a genius. You all have probably seen the Music Video he made to that Fatboy Slim song, "That old pair of jeans" or something like that.
Yup. She knows him very well. She knows almost everyone from the juggling community very well. She was just in Portland Oregon for a convention.

In fact, Vova apparently used to have a large crush of sorts on one of her best friends. Haha.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:49 pm 

Wow, that's excellent. If you see her soon, please give her my compliments!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:55 pm 

Maybe you could get her to send a proposal to Olga for me please? :P

But seriously what a pair Vova and Olga are, I would love to meet them.

Update: I am now trying to learn a 5 ball cascade :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:02 pm 

Pembo wrote:
Maybe you could get her to send a proposal to Olga for me please? :P

But seriously what a pair Vova and Olga are, I would love to meet them.

Update: I am now trying to learn a 5 ball cascade :D
I'm hanging out with her tomorrow. I'll mention that the cubing community is kinda meshing with the juggling community. Maybe I'll bring this thread up.

25, Male