Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Old Science Fiction Movies
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:56 pm 

I was wondering if anyone could help me recall the names of several old SF movies from the 70's or early 80's. I only have a very vague recollection of them but I figure there must be some SF fans here, and it would be nice to be able to watch them again.

Ok, the first one is about this guy who goes into a mirror universe. All I can recall is at the end of the movie he tries to go back to his own universe by slamming into a mirror. I'm trying to remember if everything was mirror-reflected in the mirror universe but I can't be sure about that.

The 2nd one is probably less obscure... this guy gets telekenetic powers... one of the things that happen in this movie is he gets his foot caught in some railroad tracks, and there's this train or at least a train car moving towards him. He uses his power to stop the train from hitting him. Later in the movie he helps his girl friend to get a high score on a pinball game and as I recall it was definitely a 70's era electro-mechanical machine.

This last one might ring a bell but unfortunately I can't remember much about it. I remember there were these large radioactive sphere's which were surrounded by lead or gold for some reason. One guy says something like "We must keep the H28 from reaching critical mass". This movie had some nice sound effects which were generated by these big spheres.

I tried typing in some keywords into imdb.com but I didn't find anything. Probably they are all from the 70's.

Mark

Post subject: movies
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:14 pm 

Hi Mark,

The first might be "Doppleganger" where a man flies to a duplicate Earth on the other side of the sun.

The second might be "Zapped" Scott Baio becomes as a high school student who becomes telekenetic. I'm less sure of this one.

The third one doesn't ring a bell.

Cheers,

David J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:51 pm 

I do know some but I stopped reading your post in paragraph two when you say "at the end of the movie" cause I hate it when people tell me about the end of something. Sorry...

Post subject: Old SF Movies... Found One
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:41 pm 

StefanPochmann wrote:
I do know some but I stopped reading your post in paragraph two when you say "at the end of the movie" cause I hate it when people tell me about the end of something. Sorry...

Sorry Stefan! Next time I will write ***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***. I only wrote that because it was the only part of the movie I could remember.

David J wrote:
Hi Mark,

The first might be "Doppleganger" where a man flies to a duplicate Earth on the other side of the sun.

The second might be "Zapped" Scott Baio becomes as a high school student who becomes telekenetic. I'm less sure of this one.

The third one doesn't ring a bell.

Doppleganger... that could be it, but I'm still not sure.

The 2nd movie I was thinking about did not have Scott Baio in it.

After thinking about it I think the radioactive element was "H128" and now I'm almost certain it must be "City Beneath the Sea" from 1971 which has an entry on imdb.com . Also it was a TV pilot, not a theatrical release. I must have seen this when I was very young.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:23 pm 

The only pinball machine movie from the 70's I can think of is The Who's Tommy. I doubt that's it though :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:45 pm 

Yeah, that second one made me think of "Zapped!", too.

You could try here,
http://www.jumptheshark.com/stump.htm

Or here,
http://answers.google.com
http://answers.yahoo.com

Pay a bluish oak.