Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ever have your paypal account limited?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:28 pm 

Last week paypal restricted my new paypal account that I started for the puck and studio cube orders. I am glad I withdrew most of the money before they restriced it, however, the funds that I saved for shipping are currently frozen. I guess they did this since all of you paid and there were no auction numbers or invoices tied to the payments. They must have thought I was running a scam or something. I guess they are doing this to protect us all, but it can be frustrating when you have people that want to pay you and you can't receive their funds. I submitted all the paperwork last week. They say 3-5 business days to resolve. Anyone ever have this happen before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:54 pm 

Yes, this usually happens to me because of some restrictions because I am a minor. It is a maximum usage of 150 USD a month for me. Maybe there are restrictions on other accounts even on the major ones to protect people from big emptying from the account. Maybe that’s why people like other systems for paying for big items i.e. cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:58 pm 

I had it restricted a couple of years ago. In my case it was for accessing my otherwise legitimate account while on vacation in Russia. It took me a lot of effort to bring it back to normal, and I do not risk it by doing things like that anymore. Luckily, I did not have any funds there at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:53 am 

I suppose it's better that paypal is paranoid about security and locks accounts before asking questions than the other way around.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:43 pm 

A couple of months ago I received 2 emails from paypal at exactly the same time. One said my account had been frozen while an investigation was carried out. The other said everything was now OK. As far as I know the account was never actually frozen. I contacted paypal to make sure it wasn't some elaborate scam. They said it was a routine check triggered by a certain amount going into my account. I guess it also depends on what type of account you have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:58 pm 

My paypal account got back up and running a week after it was limited. Now I have another first.

I got suspended on Ebay :shock: I have filed an appeal. After 7 years of being an Ebay member, I can't believe I got suspended for leaving someone positive feedback. Yes, POSITIVE feedback. Anyways, several of you have asked why my user ID says "not a registered user" so I thought I would post a message. I hope to get this resolved quickly. The seller that contributed to this problem has agreed to help resolve this. Hopefully, ebay will comply. Anyone else ever get suspended?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:54 pm 

Holy backhanded compliments, Batman. How the heck does that happen?? Alright, did you make kind of a snide comment despite teh positive feedback or something? That's a hard thing to believe but weirder events have certainly happened.

Post subject: suspended PayPal account
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:00 pm 

Hi All,

People should be aware that there are several scam letters out there claiming to be from PayPal and other institutions suspending or threatening to suspend an account.

Generally the advice is that if you receive an email saying that you need to log onto your account for any reason do *not* click on any link in that email. If it is a fraudulent email the link will only allow you to give your account name and password to thieves.

If you need to check any account for any reason type the URL into the "address bar" or "location field."

Though I assume that many here know this stuff, it's worth repeating.

Cheers,

David J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:20 pm 

Could you tell us more details so we know how to avoid the same situation? Or is it just an odd Ebay thing that you could have never prevented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:37 pm 

Ok here are the details. I did break a rule but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

About 2 months ago I purchased a hard to find puzzle from a seller. The item came very fast. When I opened the box the whole box, puzzle, packaging, etc smelled extremely smokey. I went back to the auction listing and saw no where that it said smoke or smoke free home. There was no mention of it. I did not email the seller, instead I left positive feedback saying "Thanks but item smelled smokey". I never did receive feedback from this person.

Now, 2 months later the seller offers the same puzzle again. With 1 day to go there are no bids on it. I snipe the auction and while I am gone the auction ends with no bids on it. I get a sniper relpy message saying that my bid was not accepted. I sent a message to the seller saying I am interested in the puzzle that no body bid on. I did not hear a reply.

1 week later I see that the puzzle was relisted and has 16 hours to go with no bids on it. I try to bid immediately, but I get a reply saying that my bid has been blocked by the seller. There is a bunch of other information on the screen but I did not pay attention since this had to be a mistake. I again sent a message to the seller asking why am I blocked. With less than an hour to go I have not heard back from the seller so I used another ebay account that my family has to purchase the item. I quickly paid for the item and sent a message to the "power seller" who was selling the item. I did not hear back for 2 days from the seller. Then I get 2 messages from ebay saying that the seller did a look up on the user ID's. My name is the registered name on both of them, although my family uses the other one more than I do.

I sent another message asking if there is a problem. I get a message from a very upset person saying yes there is a problem. Based on your previous purchases, he asked why I would ever want to buy from him again. I didn't know what he was talking about and told him he must have the wrong person. It turns out that he just had a bad day that day. He is disabled and was just hit by a drunk driver on top of that just that month. I was the first buyer he had ever blocked. I told him that yes, while the item was smoke smelling it was enough of a problem to stop me from buying a hard to find item. I am sorry for any trouble I have caused you. If you don't want to complete the sale, please refund my money. If you do sent it, I will leave positive feedback saying quick reply to emails and fast shipping. (I did not receive replies to my first 2 messages because for some reason email from him was blocked on my computer. He did not reply through ebay)

Anyway, we reconciled, he sent the puzzle, it arrived in 2 days. I go to leave feedback and I am suspended for bidding with another id when one id is blocked. I have sent several appeals with no answer. The seller said that he did not report me, he just did the lookup on both id's and is willing to help me resolve my account. Hopefully I will be reinstated soon.

So, thats what happened. I don't think any of you have to worry.