Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Next best payment option?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:53 pm 

I won a Domino and the options I have for payment are: Bank transfer, Bidpay, Western Union, Money Order, Personal Check, Cashiers Check, Cash.

Before I started bidding, I thought I'd use Bidpay because I used it for something last year. After winning, I just discovered that Bidpay is no longer in service.

Any suggestions on what the next best route would be? I offered to use Paypal and add 3% to cover the fees, but I'm not sure the seller would accept that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:44 pm 

I always thought bidpay was high because of the fees.

Wasn't Western Union going to be stop sending money soon or was that messages or both? I read that online some where recently about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:53 pm 

I almost bid on that auction but noticed they don't take pay pal. For some reason I am very wary of auctions that don't take pay pal. I got screwed once and like the reassurance of paypal especially for outside the country. I would imagine other people feel the same way too. Maybe they would take a credit card... Wish I had a good answer to your question though.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:09 pm 

Darryl, paypal is not available in many countries, especially some east european countries and xUSSR. That's why I didn't even think of selling anything on eBay while I was away for a long time, or bidding on auctions, for that matter.

As for BidPay, I used it several times, and it worked as intended. I also received payments through BidPay several times, and all worked well. It used to be a good service.

Darren: WesternUnion stopped the telegram service that it used to provide around the world since the introduction of telegraph, if I am not mistaken. For instance, telegrams used to be (and still are) the only way of fast communication in Russia where even today not every village has telephone service.

BTW, Darren: do you read your emails?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:19 pm 

Aleksey wrote:

BTW, Darren: do you read your emails?

Yes I do especially from Twisty members. :D :) 8-) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:49 am 

Well, if there is no PayPal, I usually send an international money order or use electronic transfer (although the fees here in KangarooLand are simply ridiculous).
A normal or electronic receipt is good enough to make sure that the seller *knows* that I know that he/she received the money.
(I hope this make sense LOL)

Note that, most of the quality puzzles in my collection (around 95%) were received by sellers who did not have a PayPal option....!
Do I see a pattern here? :wink:

And yes, BidPay is also ok, but they have stopped (temporarily I hope?)

Peter

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:52 am 

I didn't realize that one was from a twisty member. Had I known that, I would have bid.
In the past there was some cheap puzzle I won for $10 dollars including shipping. The seller would only take a money order or cashiers check. I never recieved the puzzle and couldn't get any responses. I had noticed the money order didn't clear so I called up to cancel it. Unfortunately it costs $12 to cancel the thing. Before I could even leave negative feedback, the account got revoked. Fortunately it was only a $10 lesson.

-d