Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Reality Check - Enough is enough
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:50 pm 

I think it's safe to say that 'reality' TV has gone too far. On the UK's Channel 4 there is a series called Going Cold Turkey, which, as the title suggests, follows a group of herion addicts as they go through the physically and emotionally stressful, and often unpleasant, throes of withdrawl. There is live footage, as well as 'interviews' with the withdrawlees, none of who seem particularly coherent, and their families, who seem quite uncomfortable with the public nature of what should surely be a private matter, though of course everyone is far too British to complain.

As a child I was always taught not to stare. It is not polite to make entertainment out of other people's misery and dressing it up as 'educational' and sticking it out at 9.30am, even heavily edited, does nothing for the program makers' credibility.

And this is hardly the first (or, I fear, the last) instance of this type of distasteful viewing: Supersize Surgery (I'll let you work out for yourself what that involved); Cosmetic Surgery Live; the Body Shock series; Make Me Perfect... the list goes on and on.

How can seeing strung-out people puking into cardboard bowls, writhing in pain, crying on the phone to their loved ones, be possibly construed as informative? Do we have anything to gain from this? Will disturbingly graphic scenes of intravenous drug use and it's consequences make us better people?

Now I'm not saying all TV has to be clean and safe or educational (goodness knows we need some real people on our screens between all the plastic godesses and bleached-toothed hunks) but you (hopefully) wouldn't point and stare at someone in the street, so let's not pretend it's okay to do it from the comfort of our living rooms.

-A F Davis.

Post subject: Re: Reality Check - Enough is enough
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:57 pm 

I totally agree that reality TV often exploits people - unfortunately too many people are more than willing to be exploited.

aphid_greene wrote:
Do we have anything to gain from this? Will disturbingly graphic scenes of intravenous drug use and it's consequences make us better people?

I do think that this could help people realize the horrific results of drug use and possibly help keep people and kids away from the junk. Not saying it's right or good, but there could be some benefit from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:26 pm 

I agree with what you said:

"I do think that this could help people realize the horrific results of drug use and possibly help keep people and kids away from the junk. Not saying it's right or good, but there could be some benefit from it."

but the problem is that the program producers seem to be avoiding (possibly accidentally) making it look too horrific. Nobody seems to be saying outright "don't start taking heroin", and it doesn't seem to be very obviously implied. Or maybe I'm just missing it (I have to admit to being totally unable to take a hint unless it's very obvious/labored/'in your face').