Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: weird dream
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:13 am 

i had a strange dream las tnight...

it seemed me and my fmaily were on a road trip and we stopped at a big gas station, that was also some sort of super market.. while i was in there i saw a buch of cool puzzles that it hard to describe now. i remmber seeing a hige 7x7x7 that was about 2 feet on each side.. and a weird one about thre size of a tissue box and all teh peices on it were different shape sqaures and stuff kinda like a square-1..and i saw a 2x2x2 head that looked like
c-3po from star wars only it was silver with blue eyes like from "the iron giant" movie..there were some others im not sure i remember..
jus thought id tell bout it..
later

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:42 pm 

Clayne,

Sounds like a good dream, thats somehing I'm facinated by is dreams. I love them no matter how weird they are. I never try to interpret them, I just take them for what they are and enjoy them whenever possible.

The best one I've ever had was the night I broke my leg on my motorcycle. I was in the hospital and the shot me up with drugs so they could operate on my leg(it was in bad shape). While I was dreaming I actually noticed that my leg was fine and I was positive that I broke it. That's when I realized that I was dreaming, it was really weird to notice that you're dreaming. I thought if I was dreaming I could do anything which I promptly did. I could do anything I wanted, fly, pick up anything, change the color of the sky etc.

I told a friend about after I got out of the hospital and he told me it was called a "Lucid dream" It was the coolest thing ever. I've tried to induce them since them and I can only remember doing it one more time, but it wasnt as cool because I don't think my dreaming self was entirely convinced I was dreaming. I did some strange feats of strength but I couldnt fly as hard as I tried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:29 am 

skeneegee,

"Lucid Dreams" are things which children often do. I can remember myself that ended my dreams by will several times when I was a child. Sadly, most people loose this ability when they become adults and so did I ... :cry:

BTW: The only dream I had since reaching adulthood which I can remember was something weird about my ability of levitation. It seemed so real that I tried to use it after waking up :oops: and was really disappointed when it didn't worked.

Just my 2 cents (in dreamed currency)
Andreas

Last edited by Andreas Nortmann on Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:58 am 

You know how they say that if you're dreaming that you're falling and you hit the ground, you die? That's a lie. I had a dream where I was falling and hit the ground. I woke up and I was just sore, like I had been punched in the gut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:16 am 

I get the falling dream every now and then. Most of the time I just splat on the ground, get up and go about my business like nothing happened. Wonder what freud would say about that. Probably something to do with my mother =)

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:15 pm 

i couldnt read it ,too long, but im sure anything to do with CLAYNE of all people has the werdest dreams and i DONT want to know what it is about

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:14 pm 

I'm forever getting launched into the air and landing with a sickening thud. Either that or the car takes off and I can't stop it until it hits a wall.

I often dream that I find a score of puzzles in an old shop or warehouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:57 pm 

sausage wrote:
I'm forever getting launched into the air and landing with a sickening thud. Either that or the car takes off and I can't stop it until it hits a wall.

I often dream that I find a score of puzzles in an old shop or warehouse.

Oddly enough, I have both of those too. I drive too fast off the top of a hill, and I just keep going up. I seem to come down for an awfully long time. Don't remember ever landing though.

I find a cache of old puzzles at least once a month. It tends to make for very bittersweet mornings. The excitement of the discovery lingers, but the discovery itself is gone.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:03 pm 

Perhaps If we held on to the puzzles tightly enough, they'd appear the next morning?

It's happened so often now that while I'm still dreaming I say to myself, "I'll never get these back in the morning".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:59 pm 

entor_perdia wrote:
BTW: The only dream I had since reaching adulthood which I can remember was something weird about my ability of levitation. It seemed so real that I tried to use it after waking up :oops: and was really disappointed when it didn't worked.

I've done the same thing. It freaked me out when I first did it in my dream...

I've never realised I was dreaming during a dream though. That must be really weird. Sometimes when I'm tired though, I get memories from dreams mixed up with real life memories.

I've gone off the idea of progress. It's overrated. - Arthur Dent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:30 am 

Here's another bitter-sweet type I just remembered.

I've had a few occassions where I was dreaming I was sleeping with another woman, cheating on my wife. Somehow the dream got a little mixed with reality and it was quite a relief to hear my wife grunt her disapproval at my wandering hands in the middle of the night!

I hope no one is pulling out any Freud books here...!

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:01 pm 

Hi all,

Lucid dreaming is something that I tried for a while, a few years back. Lucid dreams can be very therapeutic. For the most part I believe dreams are just the brain's way of discharging the days "uploads." Since most dreams are not remembered it works well. But when dreams are remembered we try to apply logic to them and it usually fails since during the dream the frontal lobe is pretty much dormant. Lucid dreams defy this and give you awareness during a time when the brain should have no awareness. When I find myself in a lucid dream (it just happens since I gave up on trying to make it happen) I try to push the limits and end up having matrix-like dreams where I fly or make huge jumps. The best one I had was on a train where I was being shot at and once I realized that this was a dream I had the bullets bounce off me (this way before the matrix lol) and later decided to fly away.

> blogan

I always thought they said that if you die in your dreams you die in real life. The idea is that you get a heart attack. I remember a movie where they trained these special agents to get into people's dreams and then kill them-- the perfect crime. In the movie they tried to kill a political figure this way, i wish i could remember the name of the movie, i would watch it again. But falling by itself? Never heard that.

go yanks,
Gabe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:38 pm 

riddler17 wrote:
Lucid dreaming is something that I tried for a while, a few years back.

How did you "try" to have a lucid dream? :? Normally we have very little to no control over what we dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:07 pm 

My Chemistry teacher says this sort of stuff happens to him. but he calls it an "out of body experience". He leaves his body and can do whatever he wants in some kind of alternate dimension. He tole me that he's saved the world 3 times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:38 pm 

insanity_cubed wrote:
How did you "try" to have a lucid dream? :? Normally we have very little to no control over what we dream.

The only one I have induced was the second one I had. After reading about it on the internet(which is very interesting BTW), I would concentrate before dozing off. This is very hard to do as when you keep your mind moving it's hard if not impossible to fall asleep. What I would do is just think to myself "I'm about to be dreaming" over and over, trying to have it be the last thought I had before falling asleep.

It took at least a couple of months but I did finally induce one. It wasn't near as cool as the first one, but cool none the less. I don't remember what exactly I saw in my dream that triggered the realization that I was dreaming, but I did notice something that wasn't right.

After I noticed I was dreaming, I tried to do some crazy stuff again. Since I was dreaming that I was in my living room, I picked up the TV there which is a pretty big CRT maybe a 34" and held it over my head with one hand and wasn't even having a hard time with it. Then I punched a gigantic hole in the wall like something superman would do big enough for me to walk through. Then I went to fly and nothing happened. I don't know why. I think in the back of my mind I wasnt entirely convinced I was asleep. Maybe because I'm always punching giant holes in brick walls with my fist in real life lol. Anyway I really look forward to my next one.

Some of the things I read about lucid dreams, I didn't try out. If anyone reading this ever does have one, try to find a mirror and look into it to see what you see, it should be totally distorted. Also find a light switch, turn it off and .......nothing happens, the lights wont go off. One thing I thought about is try to find and read a book, I think it should be impossible unless you've read that particular book 100's of times. Maybe try to find and solve a cube :wink: .

One last thing, before this post looks like a book. They do sell devices that you put on your face like glasses with LED's in them which moniter when you fall asleep and the LED's flash which you can see through your eyelids. I guess it helps you know that you are in REM and you can take it from there. On the down side they're like $350 if I remember right. But if they work, it would be thousands of times better than any playstation game.

-mike grimsley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:59 pm 

I guess "trying" is not the best word to use, but when you are attempting to have lucid dreams you are preparing yourself to recognize the moment. Since most dreams are pretty mundane, you end up not remembering them or even mistaking them for de ja vu. Not sure about all the stuff about light switches and mirrors or books, but the idea is that in your dreams certain parts of your brain are turned off and therefore you won't be able to do certain things that require complex brain functions. What I did was similar to meditation or self hypnosis. You get into a state of relaxation and try to clear your mind. Then you are supposed to "let go" and let your brain do its thing, dream. Not easy since in lucid dreams you have awareness. Its a tight rope act and not easy. But when it clicks, nothing like it. Btw, be aware that dream can turn on you too. In one dream or nightmare you mightsay, I became aware in the middle of it but when I tried to snap out of it I couldn't do it. Until I remembered someone mentioning to try forcing your eyes open in the dream, that worked and I woke up and what a relief! So just beware, dreams can be not so nice.

gabe[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:53 pm 

All this talk about lucid dreams must have stuck in the back of my mind because last night I had a "I think I'm dreaming" dream. I think I figured it out when I started running faster than what is physicaly possible for me. I stopped and thought, "This has got to be a dream." I was really sure right after that when time suddenly froze...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:33 pm 

insanity_cubed wrote:
All this talk about lucid dreams must have stuck in the back of my mind because last night I had a "I think I'm dreaming" dream. I think I figured it out when I started running faster than what is physicaly possible for me. I stopped and thought, "This has got to be a dream." I was really sure right after that when time suddenly froze...

So what did you do after you figured it out? Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:47 pm 

skeneegee wrote:
So what did you do after you figured it out? Just curious.

I did some Superman imatations and telekenetic tricks. After that I wasn't concentrating very hard and just slipped into just watching the dream. So if you ever have a lucid dream, CONCENTRATE ON IT. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:23 pm 

Well since this subject has come up, I have been working on my dream recall since I haven't been remembering them lately. The past week has been good as I've been able to recall at least perts of a dream every night. Once I get back to where I can recall every time, I'm going to try to induce another Lucid Dream. It's so worth the effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:01 pm 

Hoo boy, are you ready for this doozy? This is the most detailed dream I've ever had although it's not lucid, it's crazy.

I saw on a television, Donald Trump laying on a conveyer belt and he was covered with ginger bread dough going through a machine of some sort. I don't remember why but it was in the waiting room I was in. I was called from the waiting room and I went through different stages where they covered different parts of my body with a dark green foam at each stage. The stage I remember the most was the last one where they coated my face and head. I went into a booth with windows and spray nozzles pointing at my face and a black lady outside the booth told my to hold my breath and close my eyes and to tap on the window when I was running out of breath. I held my breath as long as I could with my eyes closed and could feel droplets being sprayed on my face. As I was running out of breath, I tapped on the glass as instructed and the sprayers stopped and I opened my eyes again. Although the green foam instantly cured into a foam rubber like substance I had no trouble breathing even though my mouth and nose were covered.
After that I exited the booth and two ladies were waiting for me with clipboards in their hands. I followed them over to an armored car that was parked inside and one of the laides grabbed two very thick stacks of cash and handed them to me. Being covered with foam rubber, I couldn't raise my arms to take the cash from her. Then one of them said " we also fixed some mistakes in your bank account which was a result of your accident." I was able to speak despite my mouth being covered with foam rubber and replied "are you serious?" Then I looked at them like "how am I supposed to take this money while covered with this stuff?" They looked at each other and started laughing and said "doesn't your brain work?" I then lifted my hand in front of my face and all of the foam That I had been sprayed with disappeared into nothing before my eyes.
After I left I heard the tail end of a radio news report saying "They can't say why they are in the matrix, but they are trying to fix it." Then I went to a computer and looked up "matrix". Instantly I was in a greenbelt in a neighborhood at night. There were a line of people wearing body armor like stormtroopers but different. They were in a hurry to get somewhere. I went towards some other people by some houses. There were about ten people all talking on cell phones. One of threw me a cell phone and said "dial 490, HURRY!" Where I then noticed a bunch of angry looking robots with guns noticing me. The robots started running towards me ignoring the guys on the phones. I ran away trying to dial. I was in such a hurry I messed up dialing twice and I got it right the third time while running from the robots. As soon as I dialed 490, the robots disappeared.
Someone came up to me and asked if I had brought the bridge. I looked in my hand and there was a little bridge there, so I gave it to him.
Then I was in a room with a fishtank in it and I fed this crazy looking fish inside it.
Then I woke up.

I can't believe how much detail I remembered in this amazingly crazy dream. I haven't watched the matrix in at least 9 months, so that wasn't it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:44 am 

That was crazy. But few dreams shock me though. Iv'e had weird ones and I've heard a lot of weird ones from friends. Often one can find small connections from the day woven into the dream but other times it's harder.

I've haven't had nightmares for many many years. Almost everytime I dream something I don't like I realize I am actually dreaming and change the dream the way I wan't. Like if I'm being beat up in a a dream the dream kind of stops and I re-dream the part with me beating up the other guys instead. It's pretty weird to still be dreaming when your still aware of it, but pretty cool too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:41 pm 

skeneegee wrote:
Well since this subject has come up, I have been working on my dream recall since I haven't been remembering them lately. The past week has been good as I've been able to recall at least perts of a dream every night. Once I get back to where I can recall every time, I'm going to try to induce another Lucid Dream. It's so worth the effort.

For some odd reason these last couple of nights I haven't been able to remember anything but the faintest pieces of a dream. It's kinda annoying. I'm going to have to improve my dream recall. Otherwise there's no point to having a lucid dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:17 pm 

I read somewhere that people who can control their dreams are thought to have a healthy psyche. Supposedly they are confident they can control their lives.

I had some lucid dreams when I was a kid. It was always in the morning, when I was rested, but I wanted to keep on sleeping. A sound, for example, my mom spraying furniture polish in my room, would be incorporated into the dream, allowing me to stay asleep just a little while longer.

There have also been dreams where I was bored with the way it was going, or I didn't like the way it was going, and I conscieously thought, "let's change this."

Now there is no time for recreational sleeping. ....Sigh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:09 am 

wow i read summa that, ive only had one somewhat lucid dream and i didnt take advantage of it cause i didnt get myself into full thought of myself dreaming.ive had one where im biking in a grand canyon type area and i get bpast to the top on a tall hill and it just stops and im falling off a huge cliff, i woke up before i landed though. strange eh. well its been a while since i talked im at school, i want to let yas know im grounded so i dont ahve a puter at all. ill tell ya why later

pb 22.19
pb avg
27.61 = 26.74, 26.69, 26.98, 23.16, 26.14, 24.63, 23.71, (22.19), 30.41, (35.42), 34.97, 32.69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:47 pm 

Kid_With_Teh_moHawk wrote:
well its been a while since i talked im at school, i want to let yas know im grounded so i dont ahve a puter at all. ill tell ya why later

Still gone? Maybe I'll post a poll asking why he got grounded and we can just vote on it.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:16 pm 

please dont lecture me on this because i know it was stupid and its not happening again..we make mistakes and learn from em ayy? I got caught stealing two cds from virgin..they were good though..too bad..have to go to teen court. i only get the computer back over break..which is a,most over actually..

later

pb 22.19
pb avg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:11 pm 

Once I had a dream that I dropped a shirt behind my dresser and pulled the dresser forward and saw a whole cache of cool stuff. This was before I got into twisty puzzles, but it's still sort of like this kind of idea.

One day maybe I'll spend hours looking at and playing with cool puzzles before I go to bed and then record my dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:49 pm 

I had a bit of a strange dream last night. Everyone from the forum got together for a kind of "cube day". I remember it took place in an abandoned grocery store. Whenever I was to introduce myself to someone I either couldn't hear or understand the other person's name. However, everyone there seemed to know who I was. There were several tables set up with various puzzles on them and a couple groups of people going over different puzzles that didnt even exist. I won't bore you with the other details of the dream as they are just plain wierd, but I wanted to share something I thought I was pretty cool. Tony Fisher's table had a number of interesting looking puzzles on them. Some of them were puzzles that could never exist, but one of them I remember particularly well. It was a megaminx built up into a cube. It was unfinished in my dream in that only the center peices were sitckered, but not the edges and corners. When I saw it I thought, "now why didnt I think of that??" Looks like I did. :wink: I'm still trying to visualize what that would actually look like, as opposed to what it looked like in my dream. Man, I need to lay off the puzzles for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:22 pm 

Sean wrote:
I had a bit of a strange dream last night. Everyone from the forum got together for a kind of "cube day".

What did we all look like since you only seen some of our faces but not all of them?

Sean wrote:
I remember it took place in an abandoned grocery store. Whenever I was to introduce myself to someone I either couldn't hear or understand the other person's name. However, everyone there seemed to know who I was. There were several tables set up with various puzzles on them and a couple groups of people going over different puzzles that didnt even exist. I won't bore you with the other details of the dream as they are just plain wierd, but I wanted to share something I thought I was pretty cool.

I would love to hear the whole story.

Sean wrote:
Tony Fisher's table had a number of interesting looking puzzles on them.

Could you draw all of the puzzles for us that were in your dream? I love to see them.

Sean wrote:
Some of them were puzzles that could never exist, but one of them I remember particularly well. It was a megaminx built up into a cube. It was unfinished in my dream in that only the center peices were sitckered, but not the edges and corners. When I saw it I thought, "now why didnt I think of that??" Looks like I did. :wink: I'm still trying to visualize what that would actually look like, as opposed to what it looked like in my dream. Man, I need to lay off the puzzles for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:47 am 

Darren Grewe wrote:
What did we all look like since you only seen some of our faces but not all of them?

Most were middle aged to older men. One guy claimed to have been a British game show host. Another man was in a wheelchair. There was one woman with short hair that looked similar to a photo I've seen of a speedcuber, but I really don't know for sure.

Darren Grewe wrote:
I would love to hear the whole story.

Well, that would be a long and strange story, but I will tell you some of the highlights I remember. A few groups were going over some puzzles, and one that I was in was going over something that didn't even seem to be a puzzle. The person introducing it said, "we all know when playing with a Rubik's Domino that you really don't see what you're doing, but with this puzzle you will be able to track every move so you can actually see what's going on." It was a flat puzzle with some tiles on it similar to the Rubik's Tic Tac Toe game, and you put small white pegs in the tiles like you would with a Rubik's game cube.
In another part of the dream everyone was outside of the abandoned grocery store and a bunch of Police Officers (though they were dressed more like "Bobbies" (is that spelled right?)). They were chasing someone down the street in a large group. We all gathered together and someone put a Tennis match on a small TV and told us that we just had to watch it. I couldn't keep my eyes open while I was sitting there, and then I heard everyone cheer as if they had seen something amazing and I was upset that I missed it. Are you bored to death yet?
Still the best part of the dream was seeing the puzzles on Tony's table. Oh, and I had my original creation there (which in real life is only 1/8 complete) but someone somehow managed to put the pieces together for display.

Darren Grewe wrote:
Could you draw all of the puzzles for us that were in your dream? I love to see them.

Sure. :D I only remember one of them enough to draw though and I have it displayed below. As you can see it would be either impossible to change the centers and edge pieces, or very boring in that you'd only ever be able to change the corners. But in my dream it just looked amazing!

Attachments:
dream_cube.jpg
dream_cube.jpg [ 31.31 KiB | Viewed 11059 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:15 pm 

It may be boring to solve but I agree it looks amazing! Anyone up for making one? :D

I never remember any dreams so I will never know if I dream of new puzzles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:59 pm 

I had this dream a while ago. It was when I desperately need new stickers to my cube as they were all shrivled and peeling and it was terribly ugly. So I had this dream I was running around downtown going into all sorts of shops and stuff with a friend of mine franticaly searching for rubik's cube stickers. Sadly, I never found any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:31 am 

Sean,

form the first sight I accepted your Dream cube as 4x4x4 mod. Middle point of every face center pushed towards the cube center, deforming four pieces. Well, it was only illusion. :)

Post subject: Dreams
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:29 am 

Victoria wrote:
It may be boring to solve but I agree it looks amazing! Anyone up for making one? :D

I never remember any dreams so I will never know if I dream of new puzzles.

Make a list of thing you'd like to dream about and before you go to sleep look forward to dreaming about something in particular - this is a good lead-in to lucid dreaming.

It might help to start a dream journal.

Most people who want to recall a dream, or continue one if woken up in the middle, try to pick up on a picture from it. Unfortunately that doesn't work very well. Research has shown that recalling the *feeling* of the dream works best in recalling it.

Good luck,

David J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:57 pm 

hmmm I'll try it - Thanks!