Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: fraudulent credit card charge
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:54 pm 

i found what i believe is a 'test' charge on my credit card for $1.14 from the 7th of this month, supposedly for 'repair services', and linked to a website at www.0595bbf.com in Shenzhen, China.

this doesn't necessarily mean that my card information was stolen from a database or transaction in China, but if it was, the only thing i order from China is puzzles.

check your bank and card statements, everyone.

:cc:

Post subject: Re: fraudulent credit card charge
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:01 pm 

I once found a $50 charge on my credit card from a pharmacy in Walled City, Michigan. When I called the credit card company, they removed the charge and investigated. Apparently, some guy had actually managed to make a physical copy of my credit card and tried to use it to buy his prescriptions.

He should have at least used it for something more interesting. When I was a kid, my mom found out that some guy had apparently racked up $1.7 MILLION (she had one of those cards with no spending limit) on her credit card through an online gambling site. He wasn't very good at poker, apparently.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:41 am 

My creditcard has been charged for €1.80 by PES*FOR2BILL.COM/SHENZHEN a few weeks ago. If you google for this text you'll find many similar cases, small amounts always and obviously nobody has the faintest idea what it was for. https://www.google.de/#q=PES*FOR2BILL.COM%2FSHENZHEN

I got a new creditcard and got the money back. My bank didn't find out much about the case, at least I got no detailed information.

It might be very well that this is the business idea: small amounts only, where most people will not care.

I have no idea how they could get access to my card number.
It was the first time that I have encountered a fraudulent action regarding online banking or creditcard use.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:04 pm 

I just found a charge on my credit card for $2.84 CAD from WWW.0595BBF.COM SHENZHEN posted on June 11. Clearly there has been a compromise of my credit card data.

Last edited by Pete the Geek on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:27 pm 

The 2.84 CAD are pretty close to my 1.80 €.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:35 pm 

Is there any way to compare what sites you have used recently?
Perhaps if each person pmed a moderator with a list of sites they used their credit card info on (I assume they are all cube related sites and nothing else :lol: ) they would be able to single out a single common site which could then be informed of the breach / avoided.

I've checked my statement and don't appear to have been a victim so far, luckily.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:47 pm 

Zzupler wrote:
Is there any way to compare what sites you have used recently?
Perhaps if each person pmed a moderator with a list of sites they used their credit card info on (I assume they are all cube related sites and nothing else :lol: ) they would be able to single out a single common site which could then be informed of the breach / avoided.

you are correct, sir: nothin' but cubes! [ :o you must be psychic!]

i have no problem compiling a list of recent sites and transaction dates, if the mods think it would be helpful...but i suspect the compromised source will be much, much harder to locate than that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:07 pm 

I'm 100% sure that my case had nothing to do with cubes.
I use Paypal and only Paypal for puzzles and Paypal does not have my credit card credentials.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:12 pm 

crypticat wrote:
i have no problem compiling a list of recent sites and transaction dates, if the mods think it would be helpful...but i suspect the compromised source will be much, much harder to locate than that.

If you search for "WWW.0595BBF.COM SHENZHEN", there is a reporting website where quite a few users believe it was from using an online gambling website. :mrgreen: I suspect the breach is further up the line, say at a payment processor.

ETA: Like Konrad, I've only been using PayPal for puzzles for quite some time. My last credit card transition for a puzzle was well over a year ago. Perhaps this has nothing to do with buying things from China?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:36 pm 

Konrad wrote:
I'm 100% sure that my case had nothing to do with cubes.
I use Paypal and only Paypal for puzzles and Paypal does not have my credit card credentials.

i also use PayPal, and while they do have my card information, this particular transaction did not appear on PayPal's summary.
and there was no non-PayPal transaction for the compromised card anytime around the fraudulent charge.

Pete the Geek wrote:
If you search for "WWW.0595BBF.COM SHENZHEN", there is a reporting website where quite a few users believe it was from using an online gambling website...

yep: i saw that.
personally, i can rule that particular site out.
i do all my gambling in the alley behind the local elementary school.
...those kids play a wicked game of mahjong.