Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Carl's Chess set in progress
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:12 pm 

I was inspired by RubixFreakGreg's 3D printed Chess Set seen here:
http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27235

I even started to hijack his thread but figured I should start my own. I really like his set, especially his rook. But as I was designing my pieces they were ending up more conventional so I've completely redesigned my rook too. I still wanted that helical pattern so I decided to put a spiral stair case inside mine. I wasn't sure how to do that in SolidWorks but it turned out to be far easier then I expected and it also turns out I wasn't the first to try this. See here:
http://blog.design-point.com/blog/2013/may/today's-modeling-challenge-model-a-chess-rook.aspx#.U4Oh1fldVil

Here is the current set. Still working on the other 3 pieces.
Attachment:
CarlChess1.png
CarlChess1.png [ 370.44 KiB | Viewed 456 times ]

Here is a 3D PDF of the new rook. I very happy with how this turned out.
Attachment:
Rook9.PDF [4.48 MiB]
Downloaded 12 times

Enjoy,
Carl

Post subject: Re: Carl's Chess set in progress
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:26 pm 

I do like your work, but there are about a million chess set designs out there. Come on Carl, get back to creating brilliant twisty puzzle designs. Please :) Pretty please?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:38 pm 

Gus wrote:
I do like your work, but there are about a million chess set designs out there. Come on Carl, get back to creating brilliant twisty puzzle designs. Please :) Pretty please?

Obvious answer once again, someone please make a Twisty Puzzle Chess set with a 63 puzzle for the board. If someone doesn't do it soon, I will!!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:14 pm 

Gus wrote:
Come on Carl, get back to creating brilliant twisty puzzle designs. Please :) Pretty please?
Oh I haven't left... still working on many different twisty puzzles. Just trying to exercise some SoildWork muscles I haven't used before. For example, that wrap function in SolidWorks, was something I was unaware of before making these pieces.
Tony Fisher wrote:
Obvious answer once again, someone please make a Twisty Puzzle Chess set with a 63 puzzle for the board. If someone doesn't do it soon, I will!!
Interesting idea. Not really keen on mixing twisty puzzles with chess pieces (so you are welcome to that) but the 63 puzzle board sounds like it could offer some interesting variations to the rules of chess. How does the empty 64th square affect play? I sort of see a version of the game where player A moves, player B moves, and then the board makes a random move before player A moves again. You could have a 4 sided dice to pick which of the adjacent squares moves into the empty space. If there is a piece on that square it drags the piece with it. This also allows the black and white squares to get scrambled over time. Traditionally a bishop on a back square can only move to black squares. Do we let the Bishop keep this property? If so and it can only move diagonally its moves either get block by the opposite colored squares on the diagonal or maybe we allow it to hop over those diagonally but only allow it to stop on a like colored square. We'd probably have to add a rule that the board can't make a move which places a king in check. If moving a square doesn't drag the piece (if there is one on top of it) with it then maybe we say this is how the board make captures. If the board captures either king then its a draw. This does sound interesting...

Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Mon May 26, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:43 pm 

Combining the chess game with puzzle solving would certainly be interesting though I would be happy to keep the elements separate. I see the board being solved and the 64th square added in order to play. The 32 pieces are then solved and placed on the board and then a regular game of chess begins.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:53 pm 

I was picturing each player having to solve their way into each move, replacing pieces as they go...would be time-consuming though. Could add some time element or move limit to the squares as well...(i.e. perhaps 1 regular move and 1 chess move)

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:15 am 

Just finished making the King.

Attachment:
CarlChess2.png
CarlChess2.png [ 271.77 KiB | Viewed 325 times ]

Carl

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:15 am 

As far as combining Chess with Twisty puzzles, I think I prefer either of the following concepts:

-An 8*8*8 with a Chess game on each face, pieces can't leave the face they are on, but turns of the cube board shift which board some pieces are on. Perhaps played similiarly to triple decker chess, with 5 of a player's Kings designated Princes and having to either checkmate the opposing king or all five opposing princes to win.
-a 5*5*5 with opposite faces serving as the "home" rows. Initial set-up has King in the center, 2 each of Rook, Bishop, Knight, and Queen surrounding the King, and 16 pawns filling the Edges of the home faces. Pieces move between faces, and twists of the board can have significant effects on piece positions. twist moves probably shouldn't be allowed to affect pieces still in their starting positions.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop