Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gluing Help
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:30 pm 

Okay, I have several projects on my to-do list that require glue, and not being overly familiar with the materials I will be working with, I was hoping someone more knowledgeable on these forums could help me out.

1. I have a Rattan Papasan Chair in which some of the thinner pieces(roughly 1/2" diameter) have broken and are in need of repair. Looking at wood glues on Amazon, I am leaning towards this glue but was wondering if another glue might be more suitable. The broken pieces form the actual seat portion of the chair, so strength is a priority.

2. I bought a package of these dice with the intention building a Soma Dice Cube, a Bedlam Dice Cube, and the remaining polycubes of size 2-4. I was considering using hot glue, but I have already learned the hard way that a glue gun is too difficult to aim without decent eyesight, so I need suggestions for a different adhesive. Also, since I cannot find the information anywhere, can someone tell me which tetracube and which 12 pentacubes comprise the Bedlam cube?

3. I bought some wooden Cuisenaire rods for building polycube puzzles(and perhaps other things), but I am not sure if their painted finish would impede gluing them together.

Also, My vision is too poor to rely on for applying glue and I rely primarily on my sense of touch for doing crafts and the like, so I need something that won't cause damage to my skin if it gets on my fingers and is easy to clean if I have any spills.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

Post subject: Re: Gluing Help
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:10 pm 

Hello Jeffery, I have made several puzzles with Cuisenaire rods, and I glue them with Velpon, it takes some time before it dries, but so you have a few minutes to adjust the pieces correctly, I think it's better than Seconds glue, it's not so strong but it's allright for the puzzles if you dont force them to hard. Do you have Velpon where you live? If it gets on your fingers you can wash it off with hot water.
For glueing your wooden chair, you can get good wood-glue in a DIY-store, I bought glue once that was advertised 'stronger than wood', and indeed when I glued some wrongly it was impossible to break it apart again.

http://1002-puzzles.blogspot.be/
For sale : 1more Puzzle - Triangle & 1more Puzzle - Cubylon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:07 pm 

mixer wrote:
I glue them with Velpon, it takes some time before it dries
It looks like Velpon has many different glues. Any idea which one you used?

Regarding your chair, I've glued broken wooden dowels in the back of a chair before with wood glue and it worked very well. The wood broke rather jaggedly along the grain but the two broken pieces still fit together very well so I coated the surface of the wood in glue and pushed the two together and let it dry for 48 hours. After that I filled in a few gaps with wood putty, let it dry, and then sanded away the excess glue and slight unevenness. When I was done you couldn't see any of the damage and the glued portion was at least as strong as it was originally.

Whether this will work for you probably depends on how the wood is broken and the sorts of stress the glued joint will be under.

Wood glue is water soluble and pretty much acts like standard elementary school Elmer's glue. It's wet, runny, and takes forever to dry. You won't have to worry about your hands or fingers at all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:44 am 

I am using Velpon 'alleslijm - colle tout' or 'glue for everything' liquid clear glue in a tube, I think Pritt has a similar glue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:05 am 

mixer wrote:
I am using Velpon 'alleslijm - colle tout' or 'glue for everything' liquid clear glue in a tube, I think Pritt has a similar glue.

It seems Velpon has two different "alleslijm - colle tout" glues. One is a rubber cement which requires a solvent in it, probably acetone. It comes in a squeeze tube like toothpaste. It should dry somewhat soft and flexible.

The other is listed as "solvent free" and it comes in a small plastic bottle. I can't find any details on it but it's probably cyanoacrylate (super glue). It should dry thin and incredibly hard and it may have rough white flaky parts where it reacted with moisture too quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:12 am 

I think the Velpon as we know it here is definitely not suitable for plastics like on puzzles. It is more something one would give a kid to play with to glue paper or thin plastic sheets or something. But for more heavy duty I wouldn't recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:22 am 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Also, since I cannot find the information anywhere, can someone tell me which tetracube and which 12 pentacubes comprise the Bedlam cube?
Here are the Bedlam Cube pieces:
Attachment:
File comment: Bedlam Pieces
Bedlam Pieces.png
Bedlam Pieces.png [ 559.38 KiB | Viewed 351 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:39 am 

Kattenvriendin wrote:
I think the Velpon as we know it here is definitely not suitable for plastics like on puzzles. It is more something one would give a kid to play with to glue paper or thin plastic sheets or something. But for more heavy duty I wouldn't recommend it.

I dont use the Velpon on plastic, but on the wooden Cuisenaire rods. It works fine, I've made about 30 puzzles this way. I was lucky to find 10 vintage Cuisenaire boxes on internet for only 50 euro, more than 200 rods in a box, enough to make many more puzzles. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:14 am 

Wow.. glad to hear it is usable then! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:09 pm 

@Mixer: Amazon.com doesn't appear to carry Velpon brand adhesives, which leads me to think that the brand is either exclusive to Europe or goes by a different name in the US.

@Gus: Your post has the same issue that Wikipedia and every Google result I checked had: the information is presented in graphical format and I lack the vision needed to process graphical information. Though, considering that the "flat" pentacubes(those analogous to the pentaminoes) number 12, I have to ask if the Bedlam cube uses the flat pentacubes or if it uses a mixture of flat pentacubes and those that have no analog among the pentaminoes?

:

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:58 pm 

Hi Jeffery, here you can see a Bedlam cube with shadows, I hope you can see this better? http://www.rost.com.pl/Lamiglowki/Bedlam.htm

For the glue problem, maybe you can ask advise in a local DIY-store, and try a few different kinds of glue, as you work with different materials you should test which glue is the best for wood or for plastic. Here in Europe there seems to be different brands than in the US, so I can not help you with this.