Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What's the dumbest thing you've ever heard a non-cuber say?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:11 am 

I work for our local school system, visiting and sitting in on classes of all levels at basically every school in the district. I am constantly meeting new kids. Since I almost always have a puzzle with me, the topic of Rubik's cubes comes up at least 10 times a day. It's almost always the exact same conversation. I have pretty well streamlined my responses to the usual questions to minimize the conversation time:

"Woah - is that a Rubik's cube?"
"Yep. No stickers."
*hands cube to kid*
"Woah. How do you solve these things?"
"Magic."
"How fast can you do it?"
"A minute, maybe."
"Woah. Can you do it right now? I'll scramble it REAL good for you."
*Kid scrambles*
*I solve and give back to kid*
*Kid plays with it for the next 5-10 minutes and starts making stuff up for conversation sake*

That last one is the point of this topic. Usually, the kid will start talking about how "I solved it once...by taking off the stickers!!!!" or "I could solve it faster than you...if you gave me a screwdriver!" The really bold kids will claim to have "solved it once, but then I forgot how I did it" or "solved it once, but it took me like two years." One of my personal favorites is "solved it once by accident - I was just turning it randomly and it solved itself!" I decided long ago that it's not worth explaining the probability of that happening. By this phase of the conversation, I'm usually back to work and just nodding and throwing a few "yep - cool - uh huh"s in as they ramble on. [If any of this sounds bitter or cold, remember that I'm at work and they are at school. We both have work to do. And I literally do this whole exchange 10-15 times a day. Every day.] Some kids, though. Man. They will just make up ANYTHING to keep the conversation going. Claiming to legitimately know the world record holder. Claiming to own a 16x16x16. Claiming to be able to solve a 4x4x4 at home but not my 3x3x3 ["I only have a 4x4x4 at home - I never learned to solve a 3x3x3!"]. Claiming to know a move that if you just repeat it enough times, the cube will eventually be solved [this one might be mathematically possible at least]. Of course I play along, but sometimes it's hard not to burst out laughing.

So my question to you is: What's the dumbest / most ridiculous / most obviously false thing a non-cuber has said to you about cubes? Was it from a child, teenager, or adult?

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

Post subject: Re: What's the dumbest thing you've ever heard a non-cuber s
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:20 am 

As for quotes:
"I got 5 sides once! But that last side I just couldn't get."
"I can't do a 3x3, but I could DEFINITELY solve the 2x2." (about 30 seconds later they throw it back at you in frustration)

In my freshman year of high school I brought lots of puzzles with me...
Once I brought my gear cube...and someone said it was a transformer :lol:
Forgot to mention I brought my axis cube too and one of my teachers saw it scrambled...she thought it was a weapon :shock:
When I brought my curvy copter someone jumbled it on accident and told me they broke it...they were apologizing too :lol:
I'm really bugged by how non-cubers assume you can solve the cube blindfolded if you can solve it normally.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:01 am 

You should carry an Okamoto Scramble Cube with you, they're way more fun to give to beginners. "Oh, the RC is pretty hard, you should try this easy one, most people can get this within a few minutes.."

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:06 am 

All my friends think that 2x2x2s are really easy, until I give them one.

My friends think that I can solve puzzles that I design.

My friends call me slow when I take 10 mins to solve a curvy copter skewb. Come on, it's not an easy puzzle!

I once showed my friend a helicopter cube, he tried to turn it like a 2x2x2, and I show him how it turns. Then I give it back to him and he still tried to turn it like a 2x2x2, and then he said that the cube doesn't work and gave up.

benpuzzles wrote:

When I brought my curvy copter someone jumbled it on accident and told me they broke it...they were apologizing too

Wait till they see the Master Little Chop, and 'break' it in 2 ways. :D

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:00 pm 

Quote:
"solved it once by accident - I was just turning it randomly and it solved itself!" I decided long ago that it's not worth explaining the probability of that happening.

It's easier to solve by accident than you think. Basically you focus on solving one part, perhaps by intuition, or just experimentation, and other bits just happen to fall into place when you don't expect it. An example would be an OLL/PLL skip.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:15 pm 

Sadly, the dumbest things I have heard have come from cubers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:51 pm 

Here's a few of my favorites:
1. I brought my V-Cube-7 to school and someone asked "Is that a 50x50?" I then explained to them that it didn't even have 50 stickers on each side, and that it only had 49. Then they said "Oh, so it's a 49x49, I see."
2. I brought my speedcube to school, and I had a lucky 20-ish second solve, and one of my friends asks me "Is that the world record?" Then, later, I solve it faster, and they asked "So you just broke your world record, right?" I then show then the world record video of Mats Valk and they say "He cheated! I saw it! The green side was already done!"
3. I brought my 6x6 to school (I bring lots of cubes to school if you haven't noticed already), and one of the stupid people at my school asks me if I can solve it. I then solve it and he says "You're slow. I can do it in like 2 seconds." I give it to him and he turns one side, then picks it up and moves it back. He then asks me "Do you have a 20x20 yet? I've got one at home. I'll bring it tomorrow." The next day he says he forgot it.
4. I brought my Pochmann Teraminx to school (I almost dropped it there), and one of the kids in my grade asks me "What is that, like a 50x50 jumbo-hyper-cube?" I reply telling him that it is a Pochmann Teraminx, to which he responds "You know I'm right." I then sarcastically say "Yes, you're right." Then I never brought it back to school after that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:01 pm 

BelcherBoy2000 wrote:
I brought my Pochmann Teraminx to school...

:shock: I wouldn't even dare bring a puzzle like that to school, out of fear that it would be broken by the end of the day...

Oh one time I brought my Square-1, and nobody could scramble it farther than 2 moves :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:29 pm 

I bought my 2x2x2 ==> 5x5x5 to school and when a teacher (who can also solve a 3x3x3 and 2x2x2) and I were talking about solving (I explained bigger cube concepts to him as well), at least 3 people chimed when I explained the 5x5x5 and the conversation went something like this
THEM: 'how big are they both?'
ME: 'slightly bigger than your average Rubik's cube.'
THEM: 'no, how many little squares does it have?' (which is stupid enough in itself)
ME: 'why not count yourself?'
THEM: 'ok so 5x5= 25, and 25x5= 125 so its as big as 125.'

*at this point I wanted to smack my head against a wall*

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:49 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Sadly, the dumbest things I have heard have come from cubers.
I feel for you Tony, as the same happens to me quite often.

My story is usually when I bring a shapeways puzzle I designed (Have to show this one soon...) And They say "YOU did not make that!" I explain I designed it in Solidworks, but say 3D modelling program for better understanding, then say a service 3D printed the parts for me, and occasionally have to explain in simple ways. I pull my laptop out and show the models and each action done to make it "look that way".

There are a few that still deny I made the parts, and instead downloaded them, or had someone else make them for me. I find this funny, but sad sometimes.

The saddest times are when I bring a Magic. They say "So it is held together with magnets?" I have a blank expression after that for about 3 seconds, and spread apart the tiles a little (single-strung so it isn't too tight, and because I prefer 1 set of strings) and they just ask if the strings are made by hand. I make it simple and bring out a 2x2 I have on hand when I bring a Magic, just to keep the conversation nice (and so they don't break the Magic strings by forcing a move)

The best time was at the Palmdale, CA competition just recently, where people were saying the Gan's 3x3 was the first to make a core like this. While that is true for most of it, they are not the first to have the core go into the center. Eastsheen did that with their 5x5 and 4x4 cores. The main thing is that it's not held with screws, and that is the first mass-produced one to do this (to my knowledge). The others were the metal 3x3 and 2x2 calvin sold some time ago.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:57 pm 

rubikcollector123 wrote:
I once showed my friend a helicopter cube, he tried to turn it like a 2x2x2, and I show him how it turns. Then I give it back to him and he still tried to turn it like a 2x2x2, and then he said that the cube doesn't work and gave up.
exactly the same, except they tried to do skewb turns when they couldn't do 2x2x2 (since I solve the skewb a lot around my friends).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:00 pm 

Guys, we seem to have gone off topic here. Everyone just make up and get back to the topic at hand. The examples you provide are actually quite entertaining on my part.
[Admin: Substantial portions of this thread have been moved to Puzzle creation terminology. Keep that discussion there (and civil).]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:39 am 

I have a general rule:

There is no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb statements ... Would you agree?

Last edited by KelvinS on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:45 am 

KelvinS wrote:
I have a general rule:

There is no such thing as a dumb question ... or is there?

The moon is square?

[/Devil's_Advocate] ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:50 am 

TheCubingKyle wrote:
KelvinS wrote:
I have a general rule:

There is no such thing as a dumb question ... or is there?

The moon is square?

[/Devil's_Advocate] ;)

Good quesion: Perhaps the moon is cylindrical and since we only ever see one side from earth, we don't know (except for believing what we read from others) that it would not appear square from another angle. Right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:24 am 

KelvinS wrote:
Good quesion: Perhaps the moon is cylindrical and since we only ever see one side from earth, we don't know (except for believing what we read from others) that it would not appear square from another angle. Right?

I'm sure the question of rational open mindedness must be asked at some point, when stating no question is stupid. I would say this conclusion is *irrationally* open minded because you hold a hypothesis that goes against the known nature of all things in the universe; that nature being the constant of gravity, which tends all celestial objects to make a *roughly* Spherical shape.

So I would say there are stupid conjectures and those who follow it are foolish. But as far as somebody asking about Rubik's Cubes (a very niche and not well known hobby) it doesn't make them stupid. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:03 am 

Asking dumb questions is especially important when the answer seems so obvious, because it reminds us to challenge conventional thinking and dogma, which is how the world moves forwards:

Is the earth really flat?
Does the sun really revolve around the earth?
Are space and time really absolute?
Is the universe really infinite?
Was life on earth really created in 6 days by God?

All of these seemed like very dumb questions at one point ... until somebody dared to ask them.

Without asking dumb questions we would never move forwards!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:20 pm 

themathkid wrote:
Claiming to know a move that if you just repeat it enough times, the cube will eventually be solved [this one might be mathematically possible at least]

Very relevant