Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Idiotic Facebook
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:47 am 

Some of you may have noticed that I recently became active on Facebook. As with a lot of things nowadays it seems to be set up by imbeciles and full of contradictions. I keep getting blocked from sending friend requests with the reason being- "Remember that you should only send friend requests to people you have a real-world connection with, like friends, family, classmates and coworkers and people you know personally".
I was under the impression that Facebook is used mainly by people like those on Twisty who want to communicate with each other but do not have the convenience of having a "real-world" connection. If this is not the case then why am I given lists of "suggested " friends and told that certain people I don't know have x number of mutual friends?
I understand that they want to avoid spamming but it's pretty obvious that people are going to seek out others with similar interests to themselves.

Post subject: Re: Idiotic Facebook
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:18 pm 

For years Facebook has been trying to solve a problem with people who spam lots of unknown people with friend requests.

Previously, Facebook kept track of users whose Friend requests were often declined--but that didn't detect the spammers because a lot of spammers look like someone you "might" know, so users would tentatively accept the friend requests just to see who it was, then block them later. It also generated a lot of false-positives. And it didn't help with the spam.

Now whenever someone responds to a friend request (both for accepting and declining) Facebook blandly asks "Do You Know This Person Outside Facebook? Yes/No". If too many users answer "No" to this question Facebook will start restricting whom you can send friend requests to, even if all those users accepted your friend requests. Unfortunately lots of people are misunderstanding the purpose of this question, and clicking "No" for anyone they don't know in person, even though the person might be known to them. This is probably what happened to you because you have so many "internet friends" whom you haven't met personally; your friends didn't mean to punish you, but some critical number of them probably misunderstood that question and hoodwinked Facebook into restricting you.

The question is badly phrased, and users are misunderstanding its purpose. It ought to say something like "Do you know who this person is?" or "Have you heard of this person?" to discourage people from choosing "No" for friends they actually do know.

AFAIK Facebook hasn't commented publicly, but they can't be unaware of the problem. Lots of users are discussing it, like here and elsewhere. Facebook will probably take another stab at it eventually, and it'll probably cause new problems.

Offhand I don't know how to get yourself un-restricted, but I'd be happy to try the "Friend suggest" feature if there's someone on my list that you want to add. That might be a workaround.

Post subject: Idiotic Facebook
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:04 pm 

Thanks. I was first blocked for 7 days and now again for 14. The slightly worrying thing is that I literally only sent out perhaps 5 further requests to people with a huge number of mutual friends after my first blocking was lifted. I suspect I am being penalised for people I sent requests to before the first block but who have only now responded. Perhaps they should spend an equal amount of time blocking people from uploading videos and images of things I can't even mention here (assuming what the news media has reported is correct).

Post subject: Re: Idiotic Facebook
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:22 am 

Maybe Seven Towns threatened to sue Zuckerberg unless he blocked Tony's account? :lol:

Facebook should have 3 simple options for accepting invites:

Accept / Decline / Report as Spam

That should be clear enough and fit for purpose, without trying to guess what people mean in answering an indirect question.

Not that I will ever use Facebook. :D